Moduslink / E - Machine / Gateway / Microsoft / windows vista upgrade rebate not received

When I purchased my E-Machines (Gateway) computer from Best Buy in December 06, I was told I would receive a free Vista Upgrade disc. I filled out the rebate form which was on the sales receipt and mailed off the form mid February o7. On April 22, o7, I received a correspondence from the Microsoft Vista Upgrade Redemption Center, aka Moduslink dated for 3/13/07 informing me that I would have to file online for the rebate and return to them an order number to verify the order.

Their web site (Moduslink) was not for acquiring the rebate but for ordering new discs of the Vista program. The only way I could get the Vista disc was to order it online. I received 1-800 numbers that only lead to a recording and then a dial tone, I received bogus order numbers from email contacts that their web site would not accept. In the end their web site refused any of my information; from model number, COA number or Serial number. I was then told by Moduslink I had to get the Vista disc from E-Machines (Gateway).

E-Machines, Gateway and Microsoft then inturn informed me that they had no authority over Moduslink and that Moduslink were the only ones that had authority to dispense the Vista disc.

To date I have not received the Vista Upgrade disc that I was told I would receive as a rebate and Moduslink refuses to acknowledge my claim for the rebate or to send me the disc. E-Machines, Gateway and Microsoft all deny any responsibility toward fulfilling the rebate offer.

Comments

• St
      30th of Apr, 2007

I am also still waiting for my "Express" Vista Upgrade for two Gateway desktops purchased in Nov. and a Gateway laptop purchased in Dec.

I was given Moduslink's e-mail address and phone number by Gateway at the end of March. Moduslink never replied to my e-mail, and I could never get a human being at their phone number.

At the beginning of this month (April), Gateway told me they were having problems with Moduslink. But, they assured me that I would receive my Vista upgrades for all three computers by the end of April. Well, it's now the end of April, and nothing has been shipped. Gateway told me today, April 30th, that they are just now beginning to ship the upgrades and I should now receive it by May 31st! That's 4 months after Vista was released!

I told them this was unacceptable after their previous promise that the upgrades would ship 8-10 weeks after Vista released back at the beginning of Feb.

I am more than ready to join a class action lawsuit over this, if others are interested, for breach of contract.

• Sh
      30th of Apr, 2007

I'm ready for a class action lawsuit contact me at Kreepn2u@aol.com. I got a computer the day after Thanksgiving and have been waiting for my Vista upgrade also and I had already mailed in my info and everything right when I got it and today being 4.30.07 I just got a letter saying today that I was missing a valid COA and that I need to mail in the proper info by March 31st that has past and the letter was dated 3/23/07 but the envelope was sent out on 4-24-07 this is all a scam... I want to take action...

• Ke
      1st of May, 2007

I also bought a Toshiba Notebook computer with the free VISTA Premium Upgrade package.

I bought from BEST BUY on December 18, 2006. I had the people a BEST BUY fill out the required REBATE RECEIPT information. I mailed this to the proper address on January 7, 2007.

On Febuary 20th my wife and I left for Florida, we returned home on April 7 to find in the mail the same form you mentioned above, (you left out the confirmation order number) so on Easter Sunday I tried to go on line, every time I submitted the information it came back (invalid characters entered) spent over 3 hours trying. On April 11 2007 I finaly got online and got a confirmation number and mailed it to P.O.box 1918 (you know the rest).

On April 30, 2007 I received the same form saying I need a confirmation order number. I called the number to be told it no longer active???

I went to BEST BUY the manger said That not his problem, its is TOSHIBA's. Or I made a Mistake.

The only mistake I made is trusting BEST BUY
    and Toshiba.

I really think it is a scam they ran to sell computers.

• Sc
      11th of May, 2007

I too am ready to sue MODUSLINK, GATEWAY, and MICROSOFT.

They actually did ship my "express upgrade" -- albeit not until March 29th. Then they STONEWALLED me on providing any shipping/tracking info. Yesterday I learned that they totally screwed up my address, and the package was returned as "undeliverable" a month ago. My requests (via telephone & email) for them to re-send it have run up against the infamous MODUSLINK STONEWALL.

...And of course Gateway and Microsoft deny any responsibility. Let's see if the courts agree.

By the way -- to put Microsoft, et al in perspective -- I ordered i'Life '06 for my Macintosh Powerbook last week from Apple.com. It arrived less than 48 hours later ... Free shipping ... and I got an educational discount.
    Mac versus PC? Seems like an no-brainer now.

16th of May, 2007

Same problem with my ACER. I think they had a lot of orders and to discard some of those they did this "carobacy". They say that the VAT number isn't correct or credit card not verified... ###! Now they say we lost the right to the upgrade, as the systems are closed. My credit card information and VAT number were correct, and they did this to 2 orders for 2 machines.

• Jm
      16th of May, 2007

I also bought a (Gateway) computer at Best Buy in January '07 with the "free Vista upgrade" promise and subsequently sent in ALL of the information requested. Recently, AFTER the promotion expiration date, I got a letter stating that they were unable to process my request due to "order number not provided," along with a web address to look it up. The Moduslink web page requests an order number in order to look up your info!!! THIS IS COMPLETELY FRAUDULENT. (I was aware that many of these rebate enticements were designed to make it difficult to actually be redeemed, so I was VERY careful to supply everything requested, including a return receipt).

These scams are obviously designed to entice a purchase while virtually guaranteeing that few, if any customers will be able to get back their rebate. By enlisting an outside agent (Moduslink?), Gateway and Best Buy can try to shield themselves from liability.

Any info. re. a class action claim would be appreciated.

(p.s. Brad, I also bought a Mac last year and had no trouble getting a printer rebate as promised)

• Ji
      19th of May, 2007

I suggest you contact the fraud unit of your states Attorney General's Office. Also, that you write a letter to Best Buy, enclosing copies of the documentation for your Vista disk, and demand that they furnish you with a Vista disk or face a lawsuit as did CompUSA over rebates not delivered on merchandise that they sold. Send the letter certified mail so that you can prove receipt. You should find the corporate address for Best Buy on the Internet.

• Be
      26th of May, 2007

Me too!!! I'm no idiot... I filled out the paperwork as requested and and got some slip saying i didn't fill it out correctly. BS. So then i faxed every piece of paper work i had to the company and still nothing. My link from them says order approved but there is no shipping date.

• Tr
      4th of Jun, 2007

It happened to me too. First, the site i went to said approved... then today i checked it again, and it said canceled. What is this all about? I tried calling the customer service number, and got a recording saying to send an e-mail. I sent an e-mail, and they replied by giving me the same freaking number to call!! Does anyone have any clue how to get a live person on the phone with moduslink?

• Am
      3rd of Jul, 2007

Don't worry, you don't want Windows Vista anyway....

• Ke
      28th of Sep, 2007

I to am very frustrated with this rebate. I purchased two Gateway computers back in January and filled all paperwork. After repeated attempts, they sent me two toshiba discs instead of Gateway discs. I sent the two back to them on 8/1/07 and have had no correspondance since. If there is a class action suit, I would be more than willing to be a part of it, since all you get is recordings saying the upgrade redemption is past and the email is a form letter stating the same.

Has anybody received any resolution, or is there a hungry lawyer willing to take on the big guys

• Ro
      10th of Oct, 2007

I read the e-mail from Steve Akers above and thought I had posted it. I have the same situation. I received 3 order numbers, sent multiple faxes showing proof of purchase, kept getting e-mails from them that didn't make any sense, & have been told several times(by e-mail) I must now purchase Vista since the promo is over.

I tell you, if I ever get my hands on whoever is responsible I'm going to wring their neck! This is not likely though since their sneaky like Al qaeda. Does anyone know where the heck they are or how to contact them?

It's not that I want the Vista so badly but just to force Moduslink to deliver what was promised. I'm up for any lawsuit. I still have all e-mail docs showing their many order numbers which shows how screwed up their database was.