Michaels Arts and Crafts / unjust firing!! do not shop at michaels

1 VA, United States Review updated:

I have been employed as a software developer with Michaels for the past three years. In that time I observed the hiring practices of this company that clearly discriminates against American workers. In the past 3 years, this company has hired almost exclusively software developers from India. They all started as low level programmers to replace the Americans who they laid off systematically. They were all originally contracted out from body shops.

These workers occupy low level positions, but are responsible for design and development of all major systems. It is clear that these workers can never be released as they are the architects, designers, and coders of the software. There is little choice but to hold on to these workers. And hold on to them they will for the next 10-15 years minimum. Once these workers have replaced Americans, there is no incentive to replace them. They are here to stay even if they are not american citizens or even interested in becoming one!!

Now today I was called into my managers 'office. I should have known it was coming, but it still threw me for a loop. My services were 'no longer needed as they are shipping their remaining tech jobs out to India with Tata Services. But they are still keeping their H1-B Visa guest workers here in the US. When I mdentioned I didn't think it was fair that you lay off the Americans and keep your foreign guest workers (after lying to get them saying there was a 'shortage' of tech workers in America) I was told to 'BACK OFF'. I didn't even get an offer of severance!!!

How nice I lose my middle class job right in the middle of this awful economy to some Indian who doesn't give a sh** about this country except as a paycheck to send back home to India. I poured my life into my job, I was a top performer. But Michaels is too greedy and wants to hire foreigners because they will work for entry-level type wages. I am disgusted with them and I plan to tell my story all over the internet. How can they do this.

Please do not ever shop at Michaels again. You are helping them SCREW US the middle class. Go to JoAnns fabrics or some other similar store.

Bi

Comments

• Ba
      12th of Jul, 2009

I hope this gentleman doesn't think that his job type is the only one that has this going on. I can tell you from personal experiance that it's not. The company (investment group) I work for has for the past # of years knowingly hired non- citizens, using Temp. services (so they wont take the bite when ICE gets them) Sadly this seems to be the trend for the rich to become filthy rich. While most of the money they earn goes back to their home country, where ever that may be. As Americans we have to put a halt to this ANY way WE can.

• Ds
      18th of Mar, 2012

When I was a Manager for Michaels the company outsourced the help desk and payroll to a company in India and layed off the people I communicated with in the corporate office. I developed relationships with the corporate staff that helped me solve issues as they arose. The new people could hardly speak English and when people began to complain about this issue the company sent out an e mail telling us to "remember we have accents too" We are not the ones with accents, we communicated just fine before the company went cheap and layed off American employees. More money to leave the country and less buying power here as the American workers can no longer afford to shop in the stores.