Mercedes Benz Of Tampa / Horrible Service Department

1 Tampa, FL, United States Review updated:

Service Dept Quote of the Day: Squeaky brakes on a Mercedes Benz is normal. All of them squeak in Florida because it's so humid.

...I should have listened to my neighbor about MB of Tampa Service Dept. I gave them the benefit of the doubt because I had two Mercedes in the past (up north) and was very happy. After two attempts to have my brakes repaired/replaced, a discussion with the service manager and being spoken to like a child... I decided to hand over the key and purchase another BMW!

Horrible experience!

Comments

• Dr
      3rd of Feb, 2013

Dr. Walter R. Ivey
    2454 Grinstead Dr
    Building D suite 1
    Louisville, KY 40202
    502-835-6066

Scott Keogh
    Mercedes Benz Corporate Office & Headquarters.
    One Mercedes Dr. P.O. Box 350
    Montvale, NJ 07645-0350

Dear Mr. Keogh:

First of all I want to say I am a loyal Mercedes Benz enthusiast. My motto is “if it is not a Mercedes Benz I’d rather walk.” So that should give you a general idea on my feelings about my Mercedes Benz. On Thursday January 24th 2013 I took my Mercedes Benz s500 (VIN number WDBGA51E9SA223992) to Tafel Motors, Inc Mercedes Benz 4156 Shelbyville Road, P.O Box 7096 Louisville, KY 40257-0096 for preventive maintenance. I had the: wiper control united replaced, wiper control module replaced, tie rods replaced and idler arm replaced. Now keep in mind this car was in excellent condition, I had just drove it to Indianapolis, Indiana five days prior to me taking it to Tafel for service. “Mrs. Stacy Parks my service person at Tafel called me on Monday January 28th 2013 and informed me that the oil pressure switch needed to be replaced”. I authorized her by phone to replace the oil pressure switch. Then I asked Mrs. Parks for the bill total. “Mrs. Parks responded the total is $1, 711.33 dollars”. “I said can I pay the bill now”. “Mrs. Parks responded Dr. Ivey this is just an estimate at this point the bill may be more or the bill may be less I will let you know when we finish all of the work”. Then Mrs. Parks said “Your Mercedes should be finished Wednesday January 30th 2013. On Thursday I returned Mrs. Parks called Mrs. Parks said “Dr. Ivey the service manager wants to speak with you.” I responded, “What does the service manager want to speak to me about?” I responded, “Mrs. Parks you are my service person why can’t you tell me what the service manager wants to talk to me about?” I then ask Mrs. Parks “Is this matter about my car? Mrs. Park responded, ” Yes” I then asked Mrs. Parks, ”Is it serious?” Mrs. Parks said, ”I guess, I really do not know.” On Friday February 1, 2013 I arrive at Tafel motors Mrs. Parks escorted me to the service manager office. Mrs. Parks Knocked on the service manager’s door and the service manager said come in. Mrs. Parks said, ”This is Dr. Ivey.” Mr. Doug Shipp responded, “It is good to meet you please have a seat while I get the tech that worked on the car and his supervisor.” So it was five of us in Mr. Shipp office: Mr. Stacy Park, Mr. Doug ship, the tech, tech supervisor and me. Mr. Shipp said, “Dr. Ivey we have done all of the work on your car everything is fixed. As we do all cars after we complete the work we take them on a test drive. The tech took your Mercedes on a test drive and it ran fine no problems. As we do all cars after we complete the work we wash them but, when the tech tried to restart your car it went dead and it would not start. We are not sure but we think that one of the towers in the engine broke off and got caught in the timing chain and destroyed all of the valves”. Mr. Shipp then said, ” That is the bad news, things just happen.” Then everyone in the room looked at me waiting for a response.
    I began to think to myself bailment of damage and Mercedes V Marco Marquez USA, llc. I asked, “Mr. Shipp so you are saying I will be without a car in the middle of winter because of Tafels negligence?” Mr. Shipp said nothing. I responded that Mercedes Benz only had two owners me and Mr. Ned Bass. Mr. Bass gave me all of the service records in fact the only companies that serviced the car was Tafel and C&O Body shop. The timing chain was replace by Tafel once and C&O replaced the timing chain the second time. I responded that car was in excellent condition. I had a problem with Tafel once before they replaced the ignition switch in that Mercedes. Tafel put a new ignition switch in that Mercedes and it was defective. The car was not running smooth as normal so I took it back to Tafel their first line of defense was to cover up and deny the problem but I had two witnesses at C&O body shop that verified the problem. So Tafel begrudgingly replaced the ignition switch a second time. I can forward you the repair order. What is Ironic is that Tafel is making that same statement now that they made with the ignition “switch thing just happen”.
    I said, “Mr. Shipp that I am really angry so I am leaving.” I left Tafel and went straight to my attorney’s office I explained the history and everything that occurred in detail. My attorney and I both agreed to let Tafel or Mercedes be responsible for this situation before we begin any kind of litigation regarding the matter. Because we both feel that Mercedes Benz is an outstanding company that sales and excellent product. What I want from Mercedes Benz is to be made whole. I want my Mercedes Benz in the same drivable condition that it was when I drove it to Tafel. I am trying to be reasonable as possibly if Mercedes can find an engine that works it can be the same year and have the mileage as long as my car is operational I will be satisfied. I want Tafel to authorize me a rental car while my car is being repaired
    . PS.I hope we can resolve this situation before it escalates. I have informed Geico my insurance about the matter. Thank you for your time.
    Sincerely,