Mercedes Benz GL450 / Fire under passenger seat

1 Broussard LA, LA, United States Review updated:

My 2007 Mercedes GL450 caught fire under the passenger seat while we were sleeping. It was 2am and the car had not been run since 4pm (10 hours). After a little research, this is not uncommon in GL450s. It nearly caught the house on fire and would have if we hadn't acted quickly. My husband had to drag the car out of the garage with his truck after we got the flames down with a fire extinguisher. The car would not go in neutral as the battery under the passenger seat was charred. From my initial research, this spontaneous fire from under the seat is not uncommon and has spanned several years of this model. It is unbelievable that this problem is out there and MB has done nothing about it! I will never trust MB again. It may take a kid getting charred before they own up to it! All my service was done at the dealership. This could have easily killed my whole family.

Mercedes Benz GL450

Sc
Apr 20, 2013

Comments

• Je
      4th of Feb, 2016

Same thing happened to me today! Really scary couldn't open the back door to get my daughter out of her car seat as the smoke was rolling in! I had to climb over the front to the back to get her out! I have 3 children I am grateful I only had one in the car and that we are all safe! Scared to death but safe! Fire department came with 3 trucks and hosed down the car! So scary and so real! Beware!!!