Maytag / French Door Refrigerator

Posted:

problems with the ice maker!

4.1
I bought my maytag ice2o French door refrigerator from home depot 8 mos ago. Loved it when I got it, but soon after had problems with the ice maker. They replaced the ice maker. Now the ice maker is still having problems. Its not strong enough to break up all the ice. The ice cubes freeze in big blocks causing the system to clog. Last night the thing took on a mind of its own. All the lights are flashing on the control panel, the ice and water maker don't work at all. The flap is constantly opening and closing all on its own, constantly making a clicking noise all night long. Finally we had to unplug it so we could get 4 hours sleep. Plug it in this morning and its still doing it. My biggest concern is what happens after the warranty runs out. I already know this thing has mechanical problems. Did I get a lemon or is it junk?? Either way I'm stuck with a $2,800 refrigerator that seems like it has bad engineering.
Maytag Customer Care's Response, Mar 31, 2017
Dear Valerie: We are sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing with your Refrigerator.
We would be happy to look into this matter. If you could email us at Maytag_Reviews@Maytag.com with your name, phone number, and address along with the model and serial number of the Refrigerator.
Complaint comments Comments (422)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Appliances

Comments

A  30th of Jul, 2013 by    0 Votes
OK, I read a few of these messages on the Boards, I have the MFI2568AES version of the fridge. On 7/28 it started blinking and opening and closing the ice door. I unplugged the Ice Door by pulling the connector apart over the left side top hinge on the fridge as I read somewhere else. (Make sure that the ice door is closed when you unplug it or else you will just lose cold air out the hole... not that I did that the first time) I ordered a new circuit board that I read somewhere that replacing that would work. I called the Sears service number and ordered it on 7/29. It cost about $80 plus shipping, but it was at my door this afternoon 7/30. That is the good news. The bad news, it didn't work. I changed the circuit board and I still get the same thing. Now I think I have an extra board and I am still in the same boat I was in 2 days ago. Anyone else know or have any ideas on what else it might be?
A  30th of Jul, 2013 by    0 Votes
Also, as many of you have figured out, NEVER BUY AN APPLIANCE FROM HOME DEPOT. They are not the same as the more expensive versions at Sears or a Maytag store. Home Depot has there own Version that is made with cheaper parts. Instead of ceramic or metal, they have Plastic pieces. In other words, Don't judge a book by the cover, what is inside may not be the same thing that you think it is.
N  1st of Aug, 2013 by    0 Votes
On a Positive Note, I called the Whirlpool number (800-253-1301) and spoke to a very pleasant girl who helped me immediately. When I told her the issue and what I had already done, She said that they would cover it and send someone out. Of course, they can't get here for 2 weeks...But they are coming out. Also on a positive note. I contacted Sears and they are allowing me to send back the part I just purchased for a refund as that did not fix what was going on. I will have to update in a couple weeks to see if everything goes as smoothly as it seems to be right now.
N  13th of Sep, 2013 by    0 Votes
Same thing! Woke up this morning to a loud clicking noise! Panel was blinking and ice dispenser was flapping. Called Maytag, and they will have someone come out to fix it in 4 days. Repair, service, and parts all covered for free. No warranty needed!
N  3rd of Oct, 2013 by    0 Votes
Well Dan (of 7/22/13) is right. I called the 800-253-1301 number and Jasmine was very nice and helpful. Even though my unit was purchased a number of years ago, they are covering the repair. I just have to live with the flapping over the weekend. But, my capacitors are just beginning to fail so it is intermittent right now. Thanks for the heads up.
N  3rd of Oct, 2013 by    0 Votes
I want to say that it's really great to see the way that Maytag/Whirlpool has responded to our issues and it restores some of the confidence that I had lost in big corporations. If other companies would read some of these maybe they would see that truly operating, with the customer in mind, would be more beneficial to them than just looking at the bottom line. Operating in this manner will raise your bottom line not lower it like they all think it will. Again I give Kudos to Whirlpool/Maytag and sites such as Complaints Board that lets us operate together to find solutions to such problems. I know that there's a lot more of us out there and hopefully they find there way to what we have here so I say let everyone know about this site and others so they can find resolution to their problems.
N  4th of Nov, 2013 by    0 Votes
Big thanks to the members of this board for helping me get a REALLY quick solution to this problem. Thursday night the classic symptoms arose--blinking lights and ice door opening. Found this thread (what did we ever do before Google and forums?). Called the number-- 800-253-1301-- Fridge was fixed TODAY at no charge. Thanks Whirlpool and thanks to Gliedt Enterprises in Rogers, AR. Happy customer.
A  4th of Jan, 2014 by    0 Votes
For those who can't wait for a repairman because their fridge is no longer keeping things cold in the freezer, here's the original How-To on stopping the flapping and fixing it for less than $5 if you have soldering tools, $25 or so if you need to buy them. Takes less than an hour if you take your time and have not soldered before. With enough YouTube videos on how to solder, just about anyone could do this themselves if they needed/wanted. My fridge has been problem-free since July 2007 after this fix. http://liny.net/MaytagIce2O.htm Enjoy.
N  11th of Feb, 2014 by    0 Votes
Ok so my Maytag was purchased in 2006 (Nearly 8 years old). I read all the complaints on this issue - Same for me, lighting blinking and ice door flapping. I didn't see that anyone had purchased their refrigerator in 2006 (Model Number MFI2568AES). Called the number (800) 253-1301 and at first the guy tells me not covered, puts me on hold and comes back to say it is covered, puts me on hold again and apologizes saying it is covered for my model number but not for my serial number? HUH? He says that the issue had been resolved prior to when I purchased my fridge. I asked him if he has been on the complaints board recently?!?!? He said no. I stated that people have been dealing with this issue on this fridge after that date, not before. He had it backwards. He said there was nothing he could do. I asked to speak to a Manager. Few minutes later, manager comes on saying the same thing. I stated that what she is saying makes no sense. People are having this issue with the same fridge today, just like they were 5/6/7 years ago. She said should would put me on hold and request an exception from their review board. She came back a few minutes later and it was approved! No charge. Don't take no for answer. Keep pushing. On a side note IF YOU WANT TO STOP THE FLASHING AND FLAPPING UNTIL THE FIX IS DONE, DO THE FOLLOWING: 1) Unplug fridge when the Ice Flap is in the closed position 2) Remove Splash guard at bottom of water dispenser 3) Unscrew (2) hex head bolts 4) carefully remove water/ice dashboard to expose wires behind 5) Unplug the 2 leads one on left and one on right 6) screw dashboard back in 7) plug refrig back in. THIS SHOULD WORK AS LONG AS THE HV BOARD DOESN'T GO OUT COMPLETELY CAUSING THE TEMP TO DROP AND FOOD TO BECOME LOST
N  17th of Feb, 2014 by    0 Votes
I have a MFI2067aes May tag and it's blinking and ice flap iis going crazy, call May tag and no help ! I am done with May tag !
N  17th of Feb, 2014 by    0 Votes
#Gasser - Call Maytag back (800) 253-1301, have your model/serial number ready and ask to speak to a manager. Tell them clear as day that online website/complaints boards, etc, including Maytag's own complaints board show this problem is a constant issue with this refrigerator and the response is always that Maytag will fix it for free because of it being an issue. Time and time again on 5 year old, 6 year old and even older (8 year old in my case) refrigerators this is happening and Maytag is fixing it. Ask the manager, "why are you not fixing mine?" Ask to have it reviewed by their board (they did this with me) and perhaps you will get a better response. I tried to stay calm and even tempered throughout my phone call and i think that helped. I'm guessing screaming won't help. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
N  17th of Feb, 2014 by    0 Votes
#Gasser - Call back and try again! Ask to speak to a manager, tell them you are seeing this problem all over the Internet and time and time again, Maytag is fixing it because it is a constant problem with this refrigerator. Ask them why they are not fixing yours? Ask to be submitted for a case review. They did this with me and it worked. Came back with a favorable response. Guys are coming on Wednesday of this week. Stick with it, and you may get a better response. The proof is in all the people alone on this complaints board post that have gotten a response. Use us as your amunition. Good luck!
N  25th of Feb, 2014 by    0 Votes
Well, I guess Maytag (Whirlpool) has finally decided to stop covering this repair. I gave them the same information as depicted in the other posts, and the best the could do for me is sell me the HV Control Board at 50% off which came to $122 + tax and free shipping. No amount of "it's a known problem" or "you've fixed for others" swayed the decision. It took talking (nicely) to a supervisor to find out that this "project" of covering this repair depends on your serial number, not just the model number. I guess they have figured out a certain "lot" of refrigerators they were bad and that's all they're covering. MFI2568AES like the rest, but no free fix. To top it off, the part is back-ordered until the end of March. Guess a trip to radio shack is in my future to try to replace the capacitors and see if that will at least work temporarily. Not a happy Maytag customer!
A  3rd of Mar, 2014 by    +1 Votes
Looks like Maytag knew about this board problem. We all need to write to the Attorney General. Maytag refused to fix mine for free. They have lost me as a customer.
N  17th of Apr, 2014 by    0 Votes
I just got off the phone with them and the initial rep said "yeah, we will replace it. However the part is on 'indefinite backorder'". He found that strange and went to dig into it a little more. He came back on the line saying his "supervisor" wanted to talk to me. The supervisor said that I had two options: 1) they would send a tech out free of charge to take the board out so that we could ship it to their company in Chicago to have it repaired... at our cost!!!. They would then, after the estimated 7-day repair period (at which point everything in the refrigerator/freezer would be bad), would send a repair tech out free of charge to reinstall the board. Option 2 was to send my case to a product review board who would determine the value of the fridge and would give me credit towards the purchase of a new (Meytag) refrigerator. ... So, look like I'm going to Radio Shack as well... My refrigerator was a MF12568AES built in September of 2006.
N  23rd of Apr, 2014 by    0 Votes
I have a MAYTAG refrigerator MF12568AEB, first start with no water or ice dispensing, than It totally quit cooling capacity downgrade and the control panel lit up and flapping noise on the dispensing door, It a new refrigerator that a bought, brand new in abox, only have it 9 month since 2013, I called MAYTAG explain problem and the are3 more than 18 pages of complaints of hundreds of upset customer and they told me that they have not get any compliant at all !!!, I do not know, but we need to JAM their telephone lines with all the complaint, headaches, waste of time and food that we are going thru because they are selling a defective product the are selling to the public and making a profit out of it !!!
N  15th of May, 2014 by    0 Votes
My freezer handle just came off and at loss to fix it. Any ideas?
A  25th of May, 2014 by    +1 Votes
Ok--adding to the list of other complaints. Purchased Maytag MFI2568AEB October 2007. Ice dispenser has always been a problem as you could never get the ice in your glass. At least one cube would always fall on the floor. Anyway, have lived with that for over 6 years now by trying to just use wide mouth glasses but still have the same problem. Lights started flashing a little over a month ago. About two weeks ago, the lights would flash and door flap would open & close. We would shut the breaker off for ten minutes or so and then turn back on. It would sometimes work and other times not. Placed a call into Maytag and were told that someone would call us back in a week. That was on a Friday. By Monday, the problem had worsened so called back. We were told that our case was being reviewed by a review board for an exchange program and someone would call us back by week's end. Problem just continued to get worse and read from other members that they disconnected the ice/water dispenser on the top left of the fridge. We did that and now there is a ticking sound and humming which is better than lights flashing and door flapping. Placed another call on Thursday as we still had not heard anything. Were told we were still in line to receive a call within the next 24-48 hours. Guess what, it's Memorial Day long weekend and we did not hear back on Friday which means now the earliest we will hear anything is next Tuesday. And to add to all of this, our fridge now completely died. Thank God we still had our old GE Fridge which is 25 years old in the basement. Not easy bringing it up the stairs but at least we have a back up. Tried to call them on Saturday but of course they only operate Monday thru Friday. Will definitely be calling them on Tuesday morning. It sounded like they may prorate the value of our fridge to put towards another one but I am sure that will be towards a Maytag which I am a little leary about. Anyway, we will have to wait to see what they offer us. I cannot believe the amount of complaints about this problem on this Maytag model. And it's not a recall? Really?
N  25th of May, 2014 by    0 Votes
I had the same problem with the flapping noise and lights flashing and had to replace the main circuit board in the back of the fridge---works fine now! Ordered over the internet and had in a couple days!
A  31st of May, 2014 by    0 Votes
Bought my Maytag Ice2O in June 2008 and now I have the same issue with control panel. Blinking lights, ice chute flapping, no cooling. Called Maytag after reading all of this and was told Control Panel not available as the factory in Japan that made the part was destroyed by Tsunami last year. Case was referred to Product Review Team last Wednesday. Told I would receive a call in 48 hours, and when I did not receive it I called again and was told it might be three more days. Has anyone had any resolution by Maytag?
Patricia Mason, Ceres, Ca