Mattress Warehouse at SleepHappens.com / A promised refund check that has not arrived

Mattress Warehouse (SleepHappens.com) - www.sleephappens.com

I entered the Mattress Warehouse store in Easton, Maryland for the first time August 31, 2007 and selected a mattress, a spring and a bed frame which also included head and foot board. The sales person named S added up all the charges; a total of $1,889.99 in which I paid the full amount out of a personal check. I was told the delivery date was going to be Tuesday Sept. 4. Tuesday arrived and on the same day I received a phone call from S letting me know the delivery date was changed to Thursday, Sept. 6. Thursday arrived and right before delivery, I received another phone call from S, informing me, the delivery truck loaded up the wrong hooks and bed rails from the bed I just purchased. When the delivery man arrived he had no knowledge that anything was wrong but asked me what I wanted to do with the remaining spring and mattress. I told him he should leave them with me since I didn't have a bed to sleep on and had already paid the full amount. On early Friday I found a phone message on my cell phone from the previous evening from a woman in a Frederick Maryland warehouse store informing me, the bed frame I just purchased a few days earlier has been discontinued. The message said I also needed to return to the Easton store to talk to the sales person and try to figure out what to do. I did. I returned to see S. I told her about the phone message which surprisingly enough she didn't know anything about it. She also added the store made a mistake in regard to the price. The head and foot board I purchased a few days earlier costs more money. She told me the mistake came from the store, and it was not in anyway going to interfere with the original price I had already paid. I told her I really liked the bed frame I chose from the beginning, and wondered if it was possible to have the one from the sales floor display. She responded it was fine and that in addition I might end up receiving, 50 to a 90% discount (if approved) since the head and foot board frame had a few scratches. The frame was delivered without any problems the same day Friday Sept. 7. I called S back two days later wanting to verify about the refund. She reassured me the refund of about $300.00 was approved by her district manager and that I should receive a company check within a few weeks. Close to a month went by and I still did not receive a check. I called back the Easton store once again on September 28 and this time I spoke with store manager Mr. JL who had no knowledge of who I was and what the situation was all about. Saturday October 6, I finally decided to pay a personal visit to the store and asked Mr. JL to write a 300.00 dollars check refund directly from the store. After all, back in August, I did pay the full amount of $1,889.99 to purchase the items, why would a 300.00 dollars check from the store become so difficult to disclose? He told me it was not possible. Mr. JL advised me to speak on the phone with district manager KK who knew very well about the refund as well as the fact that he authorized it (he gave me an authorization number) but gave no apologies what so ever about the whole situation; in fact he refused to give me any guarantees, saying: "after all I've still gotten a good price". On October 22 I finally decided to call customer service and asked to speak with Mr. KK once again to hear what the company excuse was about this time. I left him a voice mail message informing him I still did not receive the $300.00 refund check and to give me a call. He never did. October 24 has arrived and I am still without the refund I was promised verbally and in writing. I called Mr. JL again Tuesday October 23 whom sounded more clueless than ever, didn't have much to say and was annoyed by my phone call. I just wonder; a normal letter or a package sent to Europe (France, Italy, and/or Germany) takes no less than a week and a half to arrive, how can a check in a form of a letter, sent from the same State be so difficult to arrive? There is only one obvious answer; it's called arrogance, unprofessionalism, no knowledge of the importance in building a good/honest consumer/business relation. In plain words this is a business who displays a - could care less attitude-. What would a business such as this be offering to a nice town like Easton? Nothing positive!

Va

Comments

• Pa
      12th of Nov, 2007

I bought one of your beautiful mattress. But the Sealy compelling pillow top mattress has a manufacturer defect. The mattress was bought in Culpeper at your store on June 7, 2007. The store did give me a credit and it one year interest free. Kindly contact me to do an upgrade on my mattress. Because, my sleep is a nightmare.

Thanks again
    Pamela Reeves
    Culpeper

• Mi
      17th of Mar, 2008

I brought a Mattress set the Applegate in 2005. The middle has given away and sleep is impossible. I filed a warrantany claim two months ago. I was informed by e-mai that someone who contact me and a few weeks. It has been almost 8 weeks and I am asking when someone will contact me?

Please Hurry!!!

Mike Ross
    (540) 633- 2952
    e-mail- (eyering@verizon.net)

• Ni
      1st of May, 2008

My husband and I purchased a futon, daybed and matteress from the Greenbelt, MD store on 4/28/08 delivery was suppose to be on Tuesday 4/29/08 however I received a phone call around 7 AM on the date of delivery stating these iteams could not be delivered. My husband spoke with a sales rep on Tuesday and was told the delivery was never requested in but we can set up delivery on Thursday 5/1/2008. Of course we received another message early Thursday morning requesting we contact the Greenbelt, MD store because our items are on abck order. This is an unprofessional way to conduct business and I plan on asking for a refund!!! Can anyone provide the district managers phone number please.

• Na
      30th of Jan, 2009

My experience wtih Mattress Warehouse in Harrisburg, PA mirrors the problems these individuals have experienced as well. It appears that Mattress Warehouse is right there ready to sell you product that is defective and then is decidedly absent when their help is needed in order to get resolution. I urge anyone considering a mattress purchase to think twice before they patronize Mattress Warehouse at any if their locations. Trust me when I say, that IF the mattress causes you problems after the pruchase, you are out of luck to get backing from this organization regardless of the manufacturers warranty or not. Long waits on the telphone to get customer service and even then, good luck!

• De
      18th of May, 2012

just bought an eastman house bed set from harrisburg mattress warehouse and it squeaks...salesman told my husband its normal for it to do that WTF and who is he kidding

• Ji
      17th of Aug, 2012

We purchased a queen size mattress, and box springs October 2009. It has a 10 year free replacement warranty and an additional 10 year prorated warranty. About a month ago (July 2012), my husband got into bed and he heard a loud crack, he discovered the box springs had cracked on a knot in the wood. The next day we called the Chambersburg PA store and was told to file a complaint online. So we filed the complaint and was told we will hear back in about three business days. A week went by, no calls or response by email. We went to the store and talked to the salesman, he called the warranty co and they said they never got our complaint by email. So we set at the salesmens desk and he filled out the paperwork and faxed the info thru and said we should hear back in about a week to have the box spring examined by an inspector from Serta. The inspector came down, took pictures and said we should hear from Serta or Mattress Warehouse in about a week. We did receive our letter by email within the week. The letter said they would gladly replace the boxsprings and we needed to go to the store and let them know which boxspring we wanted. When we went up to the store it was a different salesman. He reviewed our paperwork and said if we wanted it delivered it would be a $75 charge. We said NO this is a warranty issue and it should be delivered for free since we paid to have it delivered once. He said Sorry there will be a charge. We asked if we could pick the box springs up, and he said we had to go to Frederick MD, which is about 80 miles one way(one hour away). We asked if it could be delivered to the Chambersburg store and we could exchange our boxspring there, he said No because of the bed bugs being so bad in the Chambersburg area. We said look we bought a queen size mattress and box springs, a full size mattress and boxsprings with the frame and a twin size mattress and box springs with the frame and paid for it all. He said Sorry Im just doing my JOB... I thought POOR Customer Service!!! So we drove all the way to Frederick for an exchange. The way I look at it is Serta did their good duty, but Mattress warehouse just wanted to make $75 more dollars for a warranty issue... ALL I CAN SAY IS BUYERS BEWARE!!! Buy from a private local dealer, you may pay a little more but you will get better service! All they care about is making that all mighty dollar! You get no customer follow up care!!!

Jim and Shelva (unsatisfied customers)
    Mont Alto PA

• Mo
      12th of Jul, 2016

1 This is a twin mattress SKU4273 NORTHSIDEPL-T-PKG $603.00
    1 004699 +NORTHSIDEPL-T-MATT $ included
    1 391419 +BR/MINK-T-FND $ included
    This mattress has now started to sink in spots and have turned it etc. But,
    not comfortable now. Would appreciate a refund on it or an exchange.