Match.com / charged my credit card for 6-month subscription without my authorization

Dallas, TX, United States Review updated:

I was searching Match, com to see if there were any "new" profiles. When I did this the subscription page came up and then it instantly went to "congratulations! you have reactivated your membership". There was no credit card info and I did not give my consent or authorization. They charged my credit card for $119.94 for a six-month bundle.

I called Match's toll free number 6 times. The call centers must be over in India or the Middle East as everyone I spoke to had an accent and was impossible to understand. I was hung up on, and put on hold indefinitely for 4 out of the 6 calls I made. I was told each time I was ineligible for a refund.

Each time they asked me for my email, my phone number, my date of birth, and my zip code. When I told them I would subscribe for one month, they continued to tell me I was "ineligible" for a refund of any kind.

I have been a member of MATCH on and off for over 20 years. Match.com is a complete rip-off and I would strongly suggest you avoid this dating site at all costs. They are not customer service oriented, they are dishonest and by reviewing this site, I see I'm not the only one who got ripped off!

Ro
Jul 08, 2016

Comments

•   Jul 09, 2016

I was going to ask how they got your card info, but I can see from your post that you have been a member for 20 years. If you did not authorize the charge, then instead of jumping on here to complain about it, call your card and contest the charge.

• Ro
      Jul 09, 2016

Already did and they told me they can't reverse the charges. I wouldn't need to post a complaint if I hadn't already taken that path.

•   Jul 09, 2016

If your card carrier will not reverse the charges, then they believe the charges to be legitimate. That means, that they believe you were given ample warning of a charge at the time of purchase, and do not feel the charge is in error. Now as you state being a member off and on for 20 years, I have to believe that at some point you have used the internet to renew your subscriptions. If you have used the same card for these subscriptions, the card company has some indication that you know how to use the website in question, and have authorized these charges in the past. Simply speaking, you have clicked YES previously, more than once. Therefore, they believe, as do I, that you did so again.

• Mj
      Jul 10, 2016

Match.com did a similar rip-off on me, until I realized their tactic. I paid for an "Introductory" membership, and being underwhelmed by the site, I decided to terminate my membership. I filled in the information and clicked "send; then another screen was forced upon me to confirm my intention to terminate. Again, I filled in the information and clicked "send", and again another screen was forced upon me to discourage my intention. I decided that I had sufficiently communicated my decision, so I closed the browser without jumping through the third hoop. That's why they were "authorized" to charge my card without my approval or my awareness. I discovered the charge on my statement and cancelled the card to stop their thieving.