Massage Envy / rubbed the wrong way

1 McKinney, TX, United States Review updated:

It doesn't matter if I mention which Massage Envy I'm having a problem with. This problem exists at all of them. I'm sure the employees and managers are all very nice people, as a matter of fact everyone I've talked to has been friendly and apologetic about not being able to help me. BUT, I am unhappy with having paid $49.99 each month for 6 months and having received no massages in return. It's a point of principle for me now. Being a reasonably sane person, I refuse to submit to a massage at this place because, who wants to get a massage from someone who is doing it at the proverbial "gunpoint".

One year ago I treated myself to a 5 minute massage from a masseuse that was set up in Walmart of all places. Afterward they invited me to get a "membership" in which I would get one massage every month for a low $39.99. What a bargain, I thought. I would also be allowed to cancel said membership within 30 days.

Before ever getting my first massage my account was debited for the first month. Not $39.99 as promised, I might add.

Then I got the news that my mother had cancer and would be coming to live with me while she underwent treatment. This put me in a financial situation which did not allow the new expense of monthly massages. I called to cancel. I was told "I'm sorry, you can't cancel, but we can put your account on a 6 month hold." The rest is as you'll read in everyone else's complaint.

Massage Envy rubbed me the wrong way! And they never laid a hand on me.

Comments

15th of Oct, 2009

I signed up at the Old Town location in 5/06. I cancelled in person in the fall of 2007. They are now dunning me for $300. THESE GUYS ARE RIPOFFS! DO NOT SIGN!

• Sp
      8th of Dec, 2009

Read your contract with them before you get pissy when you can't cancel. I'm used to be a member until I began working at one for a while. They worked with me through a lot of financial issues probably because I approach them with a humble and polite attitude. Remember, these people are doing their jobs and not answering the phone everytime they call you to remind you that you owe money for services that you agreed to pay racks up so don't spread lies that it's a ripoff when several members who actually pay on time and follow agreements SIGNED BY THEM benefit from the company.