Marriott Vacation Club / misleading phone pitch

CA, United States Review updated:

My wife and I received a phone offer for some really fabulous rates at the Marriott Vacation club in Maui. He offered special pricing on rooms and bungalows all over, but we chose Maui for spring break. We routinely stay at Marriott hotels, so we assumed this was an offer for same. But it isn't. At no time did the salesman on the phone say anything about this being a timeshare offer-not once. We did not learn about that until a letter came, saying that not only was this a timeshare offer, but that the resort would be under heavy construction while we were there. We were foolish enough to put $198 down. I guess it's not the end of the world, but this is nonrefundable, that they did make clear.

A few prime example of scammy behavior from this company: 1: Act now for special pricing offer. He really pressured us to close the deal then and there-and we fell for it 2: Nonrefundable deposit - stupid me.
Ba

Comments

Un
  1st of Dec, 2010
We just had a similiar occurrance with Marriott Vacation Club in Hilton Head, SC. My wife worked with the phone salesperson and we were told that we would stay at the property. Because we had not received our confirmation, my wife followed up and was lied to and told that she should not cancel the reservation eventhough we would be outside of the cancellation period awaiting confirmation that they would 'waive' the cancellation fee. All a lie!!!
As a 'Platinum' Marriott Rewards member and frequent traveler, I was surprise at Marriott's actions toward my wife.
Based on this experience, it would be difficult to recommend Marriott Vacation Club. These actions are reflective of an operation that is under some type of business model having difficulties.
Al
  10th of Aug, 2011
thanks for your time to write this i even went last night 9 -Aug -2011 to the sales man but really dont know why they pushing us to buy and they said this is nothing we pay they said we only pay 29 000 $ for 1 week share and we can even resell after 4 or 5 years, i ask him i need all policy and contract and he refuse ! to give me any thing they said i will get after i pay why ? if it is clear they should give and show in advance this is our rights to practice before making any agreement, again thanks for all to gave us some tips to avoid this type of programs !!!

Marriott Vacation Club International Logo Marriott Vacation Club International