Marlboro / bad cigarettes!

1 2065 E. Clark StDiamond, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 708-341-9461

I have been smoking Marlboro Cigarettes for 14 years and the last month all the packs of Marlboro Smooths and Menthol lights in 100's have been bad. The cigarettes have been going out in the middle of smoking them for no reason. Pluse the cherry is falling off of the cigarette in the middle of smoking it. I have never had this problem before it is very weird. This is very annoying and has burnt wholes in closes and my couch. This is happening to the packs my husband has been purchaseing also. You just sit there holding the cigarette and the next thing you know the cherry has fallen off and is on the cough or burning your pants. Plus the whole go to take a drag off the cigarette and nothing cause it has gone out while you are sitting there holding it. Is there something that can be done to stop this why is it happening. I don't want to change cigarette's but if this keeps happening i may have to try something different cause it is costing me money very annoying.

Comments

• 3a
      2nd of Aug, 2008

I agree !!

even M. Lights of last March !!

• Ty
      11th of Nov, 2008

yes, it is very wierd when your cig, goes out in the middle of smoking it. i have never had this problem till about 2 months ago, and i am in the midwest. i have also on two occasions found a brown stick about and inch long, mixed in with the tobacco, making the cigarette burn or run down one side, more than the other, and you notice a big change in the taste when you encounter one of these sticks.

i hope they change back my medium's

• Co
      27th of Nov, 2008

yes, i have found this to happen to my marlboro mediums starting about two weeks ago. i told some people and they thought i was crazy. i wrote a letter very similar to yours asking what is going on to philipmoris and still have yet to get a reply. then yesterday i was having thanksgiving with my family, a bunch of smokers, and my brother asks me if i have noticed my cigs going out. i went on to tell him people thought i was crazy but he said his friend noticed it then we brought it up to the rest of my family and my cousin and his friends had discussed it too. my dad smokes winstons which are not made by philip moris and his do the same. we need to band together and do something about this. see what is going on. i URGE everyone to write letters not just on this but ESPECIALLY to philip morris. maybe they'll get sick of all of us and post something about what is going on, , , unlikely but try anyways.

• Ne
      27th of Nov, 2008

have been smoking Marlboro, Winston Cigarettes for 37 years and the last month all the packs of Winston Ultra lights have been bad. The cigarettes have been going out in the middle of smoking them for no reason. Plus the cherry is falling off of the cigarette in the middle of smoking it. I have never had this problem before it is very weird. This is very annoying and has burnt holes in clothes and my couch. This is happening to the packs my friend has been purchasing also. You just sit there holding the cigarette and the next thing you know the cherry has fallen off and is on the couch or burning your pants. Plus the when you go to take a drag off the cigarette nothing, cause it has gone out while you are sitting there holding it. Is there something that can be done to stop this, and why is it happening. It is costing me money and is very annoying. I have a feeling that this is being done by the cig mfg's in an attempt to curb fires being started by cigs. Please write to your Cig. Mfg. about these issiues also.

• Ne
      27th of Nov, 2008

R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company currently uses fire standards compliant (FSC) paper on all of its cigarettes being shipped into the below list of states to comply with regulations passed by the state legislature. The legislation requires cigarette manufacturers to sell products that meet "Fire Safety Standards for Cigarettes." Please be aware, however, that these cigarettes are not "fire safe" and should be handled with the same care and attention as any other cigarette.

The primary change to the cigarettes is a change in the cigarette paper. The cigarette paper is banded, or thicker at selected intervals on the cigarette rod. These bands slow down the burn rate and increase the likelihood that the cigarette will go out when it is not actively being smoked. Results from our taste-testing indicate that some consumers may perceive a slight difference in taste but some do not. More consumers noticed a difference in the way the cigarettes burn. The heavier bands slow down the burn rate of the cigarette at those points. If the cigarette is not being actively smoked at the time that burning coal ash reaches the band, the cigarette may go out. No cigarette is "fire-safe", regardless of the type of cigarette paper it uses.

List of Current FSC States: New York, Vermont, California, Oregon, New Hampshire, Illinois, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, Rhode Island, Kentucky, Montana and New Jersey.

This is the reason Cigs are falling apart. The gorerment has inforced it. Although it dosent appear that this type of paper is keeping cigs from burning things like it is meant to do. Also, I live in Minn. and do not see Minn. on this list. So why then am I have this trouble?

• Sm
      24th of Apr, 2017

@Neil Jr I'm having these same issues too and I live on the Mississippi Louisiana border and both states sell these f'd up cigarettes.

• Br
      8th of Jan, 2009

I Hate the new safe cigerets they SUCK

• Ki
      20th of Apr, 2009

The government seems to butt into everything and I honestly don't think that they should including raising the taxes on the cigarettes. Raise taxes on alcohol as well.
    As far as the way they burn? yes, that was the government because they said there were too many fires caused by them but now... I think it is so much worse! Yes, the cherry falls off all the time and the paper as it burns falls off as well. I have a huge burn mark on my leg from that happening to me. There are holes in my pants, my car and burns in my carpet from it. I think that it is horrible that this is happening. Someone needs to do something before it gets worse.
    I also don't see my state on that list which is Texas and it is happening here as well. What can we do?

• Sd
      5th of May, 2009

I live in Ohio. I smoke Marlboro 100's and have for years. I am glad I found this discussion! The last 2 wks I have noticed that my Marlboro cigarettes seem loosely packed. I can even feel it when buying my packs. (before opening them) Then when I smoke them, they do not burn evenly and they burn out quicker. And, I have noticed my breathing is not right! Are they possible putting something else in them to offset the money they have lost from people quitting or switching brands? I know it sounds crazy but there is a huge change in my cigs!! I just need to quit altogether!!

• Kr
      10th of May, 2009

All the above comments are correct. As an active smoker (leprosy factor) when riding in my car and temporarily putting down the lit Winston cigarette in the ashtray, when I shortly pick it up again, the lit end falls on my clothing and the ash(s) fly all over the interior of my car. They'll do everything they can to stop everyone from having a pleasant 7 minutes of smoking "enjoyment". Maybe we should all start rolling our own? -KS

• Ha
      26th of May, 2009

I've smoked Marlboros for decades, but the last two cartons I bought are lousy; they go out, ashes fall all over the place (Fire Safe Paper?!?! - LOL), and they leave a strange taste. And they're being shipped to Colorado. If the next carton is like the last two, I'll change to a non-RJR brand. What a stupid way to try and increase sales.

1st of Jun, 2009

I have three burns in a brand new shirt because of that damn paper! First time I wore the shirt, the cherry fell off my cig and burned through a crease in my shirt and kept going.

3rd of Jun, 2009

I smoke Marlboro Smooths and for the last month or better every single pack I have bought has burned weird. They burn unevenly, go out right in the middle of smoking them, burn with a strange brown residue down the cigarette and burn with holes in them. Then of course, once the hole has burned large enough, the whole top of the cigarette from the burn hole up, falls off. I have also noticed them burning out kind of hollow looking, like the cherry is burning into the middle of the cigarette. I'm sick of it. We get charged outrageous prices for cigarettes and the cigarette companies STILL feel like it's alright to sell us inferior products.

3rd of Jun, 2009

If you want to sign the petition to get rid of the FSC's there is a link to a petition. You should read some of the stuff there. These things are going to cause serious long-term health problems above and beyond what regular cigarettes will.

• Me
      16th of Jun, 2009

Same thing happening to me, I looked at them in the light and the paper has some fat shiny rings areound the paper where it stops burning. And I have also noticed small holes in them.

• Li
      26th of Jun, 2009

I agree with all of these comments and it is so frustrating! I live in New Mexico, so these faulty cigarettes are being shipped here too. I am seriously considering switching to another brand, and I have been smoking Marlboros half of my life!

• Gy
      2nd of Jul, 2009

Our government is whacked, people! Leapin' Lemurs, what next? Fire-resistent alcohol? Why fiddle with cigarettes like that? Good greif, just let us smoke and leave us alone, why don't they? Health care is not so exorbitantly costly because of cigarettes...it is so outrageously costly due to the fact that we give illegal aliens free health care, so long as they are pregnant. So, Uncle Sam, why not simply pass out free birth control to other countries, and take your grubby hands off of our cigarettes...for crying out loud!

I, personally, am seriously going to have to quit smoking if all my Marlboro Lights taste this bad from now on. Thank goodness for the new electronic cigarette. I would not be able to stomache chewing tobacco.

24th of Jul, 2009

I agree. I am 37 and have been smoking for the past 17 years. The same brand. Every time. Never changed. Always Marlboro Menthol lights. But after the past three cartons tasting like a#@... Finding tree trunks in my ashtray... And constantly having to re-light an already nasty tasting smoke to get my money out of it...
    I've changed brands! Course, I changed to an off brand called L&M. Then heard they were produced by Philip Morris TOO! But, they smoke just like my cigs of old and NO NASTY FLAVOR INVADES MY MOUTH! I can't really taste any difference between them and that OTHER brand ~ well, maybe just a tad. But, Im not going to lose my security deposit on my rental because the carpet is full of holes either. So, I guess I could write some letters or call a multi-millionaire or two... complain and sob and demand till my mouth and lungs scream for another cancer stick! But then hey... Maybe I'll just stop buying there damn brands and maybe... just maybe... they'll come calling on me?!?!?!?

Because come on folks... Whatever dummy said that the pen was mightier than the sword. Never put cash on the scales to see what truly trumps all other things!

• Li
      26th of Jul, 2009

ME TOO! switching brands after all these years!

• St
      4th of Aug, 2009

Wow, me and my boyfriend thought that we were going crazy!! We lived in Florida, and have always smoked Marlboro Lights, and when we came to New Mexico, we noticed that the cigarettes burned strange. They would go out, hollow out, and the ash would fall off while I was driving down the road!!! Why in the hell would they change the paper, when it makes it worse!? Not to mention the nasty taste when you take a drag of a cigarette that is out, or you have to puff it 4 or 5 times to relight it again. I bought a pack of Marlboro Smooths, and they were the same way. What I'm wondering is, why aren't these cigarettes sold in Florida? Do you think it has to do with how much money they get from each state for tobacco sales? Because, they could have some stupid thing going, if a state doesn't provide a certain amount of money for cigarettes, they ship the crappy ones... I may as well buy a pack of 305's because they taste about the same now! I don't understand why they would make cigarettes more expensive, and then change the quality... & they call it fire safe paper, when the cherry falls off once every 4 cigarettes you smoke. It makes me so mad, and the bad thing is, theres probably nothing we can do about it, besides quit... But they make the things so addictive, we can't lol! God I hate them so bad!

5th of Aug, 2009

Steph-eventually all cigarettes in all states will be FSC so if you want to put a stop to it- try the petition: