M & T Bank / Service Fees

I changed jobs and no longer had direct deposit. I called M&T to ask if I need to change my account type, and they said as long as I kept $2500 in my checking and linked accounts I would received no service charges. The next month, I received a $5.95 service charge. I called and they said that I had to keep $1500 in THAT account and $2500 total, but they did reverse the charge and change my account type.

The next month I got charged two fees of $2.95 each because I had enrolled in (but never used) web bill pay. There is no way to unenroll without contacting M&T directly. The reason I got charged TWO fees for ONE account is because I had enrolled under my user name online and my husband's. BUT IT IS STILL JUST ONE ACCOUNT!! It is a joint account, but I can't unenroll the account, just myself. Now he has to call and cancel his enrollment for the same account.

I USED TO have my mortgage through them (notice past tense). I would send extra principal payments of $50 or $100, and they misapplied them on 2 or 3 times in a 4-year period. Two specific ones I remember are a $100 payment I made and they reversed (even though it cleared my checking account)--I called them about it and they "fixed it" by crediting it a week later. The second was a $50 payment that was "applied", but it was "applied" to nothing...it showed up in the transaction detail, but didn't come off the principal. Their response was always "I don't know why that happened".

M&T Bank Corporation Logo M&T Bank Corporation