LG Washer and Dryer / best buy refuses to fix

1 Dover, DE, United States Review updated:

Bought an LG front load washer and dryer from Best Buy almost two years ago. It shakes during the spin cycle, which I had specifically asked about before it was purchased. Within a month, we had a service man come and look at it. He said all we could do is purchase the rubber that go under it to reduce the shake. The Lg washer should not have been sold to us because it needs to be on a concrete floor. Best Buy, of course, would do nothing.

Now the washer is completely broken. The service man says it is unfixable due to the repeated shaking during the spin cycle. I still have three year warranty left, and Best Buy will do nothing. Says it is our fault for not having a concrete floor. We now have to purchase another washer, which of course will not match the dryer. We are out over $1000 for a wahser that is still under warranty, but Best Buy has weasled out of replacing or repairing it.

Comments

• Ki
      27th of Mar, 2007
    LG Washer and Dryer - Faulty product! I will never purchase a LG product again!

My dryer has a faulty weld on the seam of the drum and is coming apart. The dryer is only 1 1/2 years old. I called LG about this and they said "too bad" I called one more time because I am furious and I paid a lot of money and the woman told me she would talk to someone and get back to me the next day about possibly replacing the drum for me and she never called back. Also, regarding the washer it has the awful odor many others do (musty) this is also a manufacturing defect and I don't feel it should be my problem and that I should have to bleach the machine every month to get rid of the odor. The reason the water sits is a bad design on the part of LG and they should be held responsible!! I will never purchase a LG product again!

• Al
      3rd of May, 2007

How old are these machines and how long was the warranty? Did you read the owners manual for the washer when you got it?

• Ke
      31st of Oct, 2007

LG Washer Owners... Please READ your manual. There are some routine maintenance activities that need to be done so as not to get that mold and smelly laundry.

Yes, you would expect that the money you plopped down to pay for this machine you don't have to do anything. However, this is a high performance machine. Like a high performance car you have to take care of it. The number 1 cause of smell is using too much detergent.

1. It does help to leave the door ajar to allow air movement. (Watch kids).
    2. Wipe the gasket/seal to remove any residue
    3. Remove your dispensing tray and clean the dispensing trays as well as the cavity where the tray sits. Allow to air dry
    4. Clean out pumpo filter per instructions on front bottom left of washer.
    5. You can use Affresh or Whirlout to eliminate smell., but you want to do the ONGOING cleaning.

Hope this helps!

8th of Jan, 2008
    LG Washing Machine with drier - drier not working
    LG India
    India

I have bought LG Washing Machine with 100% Drier.right from the day I have bought the Drier is not working properly.Everytime I complain the Technician comes and addresses the problem.Next time it is the same story.Now LG has come with the idea that I dont know how to use the button.I have lived abroad and know to use these gadgets.I have been requesting them to replace with the new one but they are refusing to do it.They dont want to accept that the machine has manufacturing defect.I am going to the consumer court to get justice.
    Mrs.Jayashree Ram

• Tr
      27th of Oct, 2008

My problem is there was no forewarning. If this machine requires unusual maintenance then I believe you should be warned. My husband and I are both in wheelchairs and were excited when we purchased our $3, 000.00 front loading machines. What a nightmare we have had. These machines stink. I spend more time treating and cleaning the smell than doing laundry!

4th of Apr, 2009

I also have an LG washer and dryer. The dryer is fine but the washer stinks! I do use the cleaning cycle, leave the door open, drain it and wipe the rubber ring. I can't get rid of the mold and musty smell. I do about two loads of laundry a day and the machine makes the clothes smell. I have contacted LG and they said they have not had complaints and there isn't a recall on these machines. There should be for all of the money we paid for them.

• Vo
      13th of Jul, 2009

I agree as well. I've had an LG dishwasher that has been broke ever since I bought it. I bought it in 2006, an LG repairman came out and changed the motor in 2007, it worked for a few months and then I was out of a warranty once it broke. Too much money down the drain for a "quality" product to break twice within 2 years.

• Nm
      21st of Jul, 2009

I agree with the complaints. My washer has a tremendous problem with mildew and an awful smell. Also, my dryer just stopped working. I had the repairman out and he said the drum split from the seam and has a crack in it. From what I have learned, this drum business is not that unusual for the LG. This is freakin unbelievable! I have never heard of any other types of dryers in need of a replacement drum after a couple of years. It seems to me this is some type of manufacturing defect and LG should recall the dryers. I understand there are some class action lawsuits regarding the mildew filled washers. How do these lawsuits work and how can I join in? I would like to let as many people as possible know about the problems with the LG washers and dryers so people don't continue to buy them. When you pay a fair amount of money, such as many of us did, you expect quality products and good customer service. LG is providing neither.

• Sh
      28th of Aug, 2009

This is outragious. I have tried virtually everything suggested on the internet and came out with nothing. So far nothing works. With all the cycles i have used to get rid of this aweful mildew smell, this LG machine should not have the lable fo HE. I am so surprised that with so many complaints no recalls have been seen. I guess the thousands we pay for it is merely for the great looks. Shame on LG!!

• Sh
      29th of Aug, 2009

Dear sir, sory for inconvince.but in acuutly surface mater is important.if base problm.drum cud be damege.just call our help line and show ur problm .hope u get solution.call 1800-180-9999 OR 39010909 with std code.

• Gi
      1st of Oct, 2009

I had the same problem with our drum. It cracked we had an LG repairman out and $300 later we have a new drum. The repairman said LG may cover it because they have the same issue with all the LG dryers. LG said too bad to me. My washer also stinks. I had no clure that this was happening to others. I too use bleach and leave the door open. My family has had to throw away a lot of clothes because we can not get the smell out.

• Wi
      23rd of Oct, 2009

We have the exact same issue. Not only does our LG washer stink, but we just discovered our LG dryer drum is cracking! I also called LG, as the dryer is less than 2 years old.

I have the exact same issues. My dryer is 2 1/2 years old and the drum is cracked. I have all LG appliances excluding my JennAir gas/electric range. I have had problems with every appliance EXCEPT the JennAir. The $450 LG microwave doesn't cook or re-heat as well as a $150 GE model. The $2500 french door refrigerator controls lock up and you have to unplug it and plug it back in to reset it. This occurred 13 months after purchase and LG will not take care of it. My LG dishwasher doesn't clean well. I liked my 13 year old Kitchenaid 100 times better. BEWARE OF ANY LG PRODUCTS! THEY SURE DO LOOK PRETTY, TOO BAD THEY DON'T PERFORM.

30th of Oct, 2009

LG needs to step up. We have called a couple of times to complain. If you can believe this the first so called expert asked "did you use dryer sheets? If so that has been known to cause the steel drum to crack" Well if is not about the dumbest think I have ever heard of. And to add insult to drum injury the actually included a few dryer sheets with the dryer when we purchased it. So we called back again and now they are not even selling the original stainless steel drum but a new an improved one. I wonder why? But wait there's more! If you act now you too can purchase a new steel drum and with the new drum you are going to get to pay, that's right, get to pay $158.99 for shipping. So 401.00 I too can have a working LG dryer in my home if I fix it myself. Hmmmm just so LG knows I have notified all family and friends and have posted a nice blog on Facebook warning those who are looking to buy LG to avoid them if at all possible. Sorry LG but you have crossed the line with your high end costs, higher end repairs and knowing you have a lousy produce when it comes to steel drum dryers and will not own up to it. Shame on you.

• Ev
      12th of Nov, 2009

Our LG dryer Stainless steel tub cracked along the tub weld joint line and LG refussed to even supply the parts free after the repair facility asked them too. So we must make costly repairs or trash unit. We will never buy LG anything again and will tell everyone we can about their crappy products and the fact that they dont back them even when it is an obvious manufacturer defect! Dont buy LG!

19th of Nov, 2009

I have a stinky LG washer, AND a cracked drum on the dryer. The crack occured at about 18 months old. LG, this is pathetic. I will NEVER buy another of your products.

• Sc
      24th of Nov, 2009

Same here but we also went one more step and reported LG t our Washington State AG Office and Consumer Affairs. Washington State is very close to filing a class action lawsuit against LG for faulty products and LG refusing to help anyone unless they pay more money which in my view is armed robbery.

LG should be put out of business.

• Me
      27th of Nov, 2009

We have a 2 year old LG gas dryer and from day 1 it had a vibration. (The tech replaced some of the rollers) They fixed it once under warranty then a few months later we had to pay to have the same problem fixed again, and now a year later its worse than ever. This is the biggest piece of junk on the market.

• Ka
      21st of Jan, 2010

I completely agree...we have had our washer/dryer for 2 1/2 years and we just found out that the drum is cracked. It's going to cost $325 to have a new drum installed, which is so aggravating. I have had much cheaper dryers that have lasted for 10 years! I have called LG and plan on calling them again to complain. We also have the odor, but find if you take the laundry out asap and/or use baking soda, that really helps.

• Bl
      7th of Feb, 2010

Wow - well not only does our LG washer tend to stink (especially if we forget to leave the door open after every load), our dryer CAUGHT ON FIRE last night!! It wasn't even on at the time. It was full of dry clothes and they all got destroyed. The fire inspector said there was a short somewhere in the electrical system. I wonder if a faulty drum had anything to do with it because how did an electrical spark get inside the drum when it wasn't even running!?! We're waiting to hear back from LG. It's only 1 1/2 old. but of cousre, not covered by warranty.

26th of Feb, 2010

We have the LG washer and dryer; washer has smell issues due to the design and I clean it all the time. The dryer has a cracked drum and is pulling apart at the seam so this ruins the clothes, oh and it makes loud banging noises too! LG will not do anything about it, wouldn't return my calls when then said they would get back to me in 24-48 hours. I finally talked to someone after calling over and over and over who finally got back to me and they will cover the parts, but only if sent to a technician and we would have to pay for labor. I think this is absourd as we have already paid for a working dryer and we want it to work! Not only that after having about 3-4 people come out the fix the LG refridgerator it is now doing the same thing, but they won't cover that after it was fixed because of their faulty products. Never, ever will I buy another LG! I forgot to add that the lint catcher doesn't work properly and we have to constantly clean out lint from the laundry room and dryer so we don't have a fire! If you look on the picture I have attached you can see the split seem and if you look closely you can see the crack also. This is not by misuse, this is because of faulty parts.