LA Fitness / misleading, sneaky, can't cancel!

1 Keller, TX, United States Review updated:

Without getting into dated LONG detail, since I don't have the energy to explain from the beginning, I will give in a nutshell. If there is a problem at all, memebership or training, good luck on getting it fixed. I had a problem with a charge for my membership (to a wrong credit card) - no one could help me. The gym manager was never available, and when I did reach him, I was promised a credit I never received. Then it started with signing up for personal training. The "training manager" did not completely explain IMPORTANT details regarding the training sessions, such as THEY ARE ONLY 30 MINUTES (I have always had training for one hour sessions) and that the training charges to your credit card or bank account KEEP ON CHARGING YOU forever until you physically write LA Fitness a letter to California telling them to stop! Had I known about how much I was paying only included 30 minutes sessions, I would have never bought the training. They are not competitively priced in that area, and that's probably why he didn't mention that! On top of that, I was promised FREE sessions for signing up, since I bought so many, and since the original quote I had he could not honor when I went to sign up - the so called "deal" had changed. I was promised 12 free sessions, which I had to literally chase down this manager forever to ask about my free sessions so I could get them! No one could help me. He was often not there. I left messages. I think after a long annoying while I got a few free sessions after nagging him so many times, and I most certainly know for sure I didn't get the 12 I was promised. Getting ANYTHING done at LA Fitness is a joke. Everything is "corporate". If you call corporate, they tell you to call the local gym. If you call the local gym, they blame everything on corporate. If you want to cancel your membership, you can't simply cancel it at the gym. You have to write "corporate". You better get it certified mail, or be sure they will say they didn't get it. You can't send them an email OR leave a voicemail for anyone. They make it practically impossible to deal with any situation at their corporate office, and make it as inconvenient as possible, I'm assuming so that they can squeeze in an extra month or two of charging you for a membership. If you actually do get ahold of a receptionist there - GOOD LUCK! They are short, rude, and no matter what you say them, they throw in the "on hold" loop. In the decades I have been working out, and have also worked at health clubs, I have never witnessed such a club with poor customer service. I have no idea why they are as big as they are, except maybe for cheap memberships. Talk about getting the run around...
I am still a member there but won't be for long. Just waiting for my training to run out. Just beware...you have to ask A LOT of questions and get details, because they won't tell any of this hassle information when you sign up. Of course, they want your money first. I will say though that many of the staff people are fine and friendly. The front desk people in general are ok but not very friendly or ask any questions or make any conversation - they just bar code you in and that's it. I guess that's the difference between a corporate gym and a training gym...live and learn.

Comments

• Ni
      27th of Sep, 2009

Cancellation is simple

1. Walk into your local LA Fitness and pick up the form, or go online, no questions asked, and mail it in 10 days prior to your next billing (why? So they have time to stop the auto eft) It's self addressed and ready to go

2. You'll receive an email within 5-7 days confirming its cancelled

3. Your done

• Sh
      30th of Dec, 2014

I purchased a three year membership for my son. His schedule changed which put him working out at the busiest time. He said it was ridiculous he was waiting in line to work out, over crowded on every machine. The salesperson told me which I purchased the three year membership that I could cancel at ANYTIME and I would be given a credit on any unused months. I notified corporate and they said I would need to contact my local LA Fitness in Keller. Corporate and the local office have done ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING! Would not offer any suggestions other than unless my child became unable to work out due to injury or he moved 10 miles from a LA Fitness that they would then reimburse me. REALLY!!! The Keller location is full of people that do not have knowledge of what they are selling, they lie to their potential customers to get them to sign up. I would not recommend anyone supporting LA Fitness. It's all about raking in the money and not caring if the machines are available to work out on.