Kroger / fired unjustly

1 9812Linn Station Rd 40223Louisville, KY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 502 423 0943

In December 2008 days before the Christmas holiday I was called up to the office in my place of employment, the manager Ms Yolanda Coleman and an investigator she had brought in proceeded to inform me that I was being Suspended for "Stealing Kroger Time" several days earlier.I asked what she was talking about and she and the investigator told me that I had taken an additional break from which I hadnt punched the time clock for.I told Ms Coleman this was an obvious mistake and that I didnt remember taking any addictional break and if I had it was unintentional .I requested that she deduct the alleged time from my weekly hours to make up for the alleged extra break.Ms Coleman declined to do so and I was sent away on suspention.After being on suspention through the christmas holiday and well into the new year I was finally called by Kroger to come in for a meeting regarding my suspension.When I got there a lady from HR (Human Resources) was there as well as a the 'so called' Union representative as well as Ms Coleman.The lady from HR interrogated me for some time asking repeatedly why I had taken this alleged extra break and why hadnt I punched the time clock.I told this person as well as the Union rep. and Ms Coleman I didnt remember taking this alleged extra break and that I was sorry if I had done so, could they just take the alleged extra break out of that weeks pay, just like I had told them months before when they had placed me on suspention.They said that they were going to discuss it and for me to wait down stairs outside the office.A few minutes later the Union Rep. came down from the office and told me that either they would fire me or I could sign a letter of resignation and they wouldnt contest any Unemployment request, allso they would allow me my one week paid vaction check due me anyways because I had worked there for a over a year with Full time status .Feeling hopeless I figured I must take the lesser of the two evils and sign the letter of resignation that they had writen for me.( I wish I hadnt done that but the Union Rep. told me this was the best thing for me to do and that I should just start looking for another job rather than seeking Unemployment )Now this is really screwed up cause Krogers policy states that first an employee is given a verbal warning for such an offence then you are writen up (so the violation is on paper) next I beleave that they give the employee like a week suspention next offence is another longer suspention like thirty days etc etc .Knowing this than why did they skip over any and all correct company procedures and go straight for the kill?Kroger lied, they did contest my unemployment which I ended up eventually getting months later anyways but the amount I receive is sure small and I struggle day to day especially with Our going into this economic recession .I feel I was wronged by Kroger and by Ms Coleman and the Detective, allso the Union Rep. and by the HR lady.What gives?

Comments

• I0
      3rd of Sep, 2009

I am currently under suspension pending termination with Kroger and most likely about to go to a third step meeting through the union. My situation is different, but I still feel that had my manager come to me with profesionalism as managers should and not with a poor attitude I would not be in this situation. She first of all told my peers she didn't think I was doing anything, rather than come back there and find out what I was or was not doing she let it build, so when she came back there she had a predetermined attitude that I wasn't working. Which was the farthest thing from the case, I'd done way more than usual that night. I was sent home, came in to get my check the next day, which was an off day and was informed of my suspension. We're supposed to abide by certain rules that it seems management does not. They're very degrading at times and make you feel small and if there are no witnesses or anything, you get a "sorry, there is nothing we can do" answer. There are some great people employed within the company in management and regular clerks. But those bad ones, they make it rough all over.

4th of Nov, 2009

At the Kroger I work at that would not happen because the smokers are always on break so how can thay single you out for what thay let others do. My maneger Barrbra Adams Personaly takes people who are on the clock out with her, know thay are on the clock. If your store has this problem to you need to get a lawer and take them to court. Its only fair that even if you are buying a coke or smoking or eating on comany time its all the samething.

22nd of Mar, 2010

I agree with you Sr, these company goverments so to speak have their heads up their ### just like our government!What a crock!!! If I were you I'd seek legal action and make those ### pay you backpay for the entire time you have been off work, and next I would put in for a transfer to another store.These people sound like they would never let this die and would seek to punish you for finally getting the upper hand.I wish you the best of luck and hope you get back to work soon.What goes around comes around.

• Jd
      7th of May, 2010

I got terminated from Kroger for trying to get property back for the store. No suspension, no written warning. I'm not even able to collect unemployment.

• Te
      18th of Aug, 2010

I know someone close who is going through almost the same thing. I think that the store need more responsible head managers, HR . The thing is that this someone was trying to do the right thing / My thing is which I can not get into too much detail because everyone has a computer and can read what was said here. but I do have a issue that if you have a job why not do your job and stop passing your work on another employee who if he/she says something about it might lost their job. Who do wrong but don't get reprimanded for it. That is not right.

Also I have read the complaints here. It is a shame the way our businesses in this state treat the good employees and the ones who don't pull their own load they get good treatment. For the lady that unfortunately lost her job, Krogers could have taken the time away from your pay check. I am sorry but I think they were making an example out of you. And yes that is not right.

But I also feel that they just lost good employees. and they might not care or see it now, but a long ways down the road they will.

• Sc
      25th of Jan, 2011

i was told i was suspended and 5 months later i havent heard back from them

• Uo
      12th of Feb, 2011

I worked at Kroger for 5 months and two weeks and I was put on indefinite suspension. Here is the reason: I work in the deli/bakery and EVERYONE from day one eats, snacks, and nibbles throughout the day, EVEN the dept. heads and managers. I was taking my last break and I grabbed a slice of bread along with the other 50 bags of bread lieing on the table that we use in the deli, (I didnt grab it off the shelf) to go with my chilli. I only got a 15 minute break and it is very difficult to eat in fifteen minutes. I went to the break room and ate my chilli and bread and was gonna go pay for teh bread after my break, however, I WAS not given the chance. I was fired on the spot!! THEY FIRED ME FOR EATING A PEICE OF [censor]ING BREAD!! Anyways, I then proceeded to tell the manager that I would pay for it and she said that it was too late, so she put me on indefinite suspension. I asked her "cant you give me a verbal warning or a write up instaead of firing me", SHE REFUSED. I then filed a greivance throuigh the union, because I felt I was injustly fired. TO make a long story short, my union rep persuaded me into thinking that taking Krogers deal which was "signing a letter of resignation" instead of having theft on my record. So anyways, I resigned. Im a full time college student with bills that I cannot pay becasue of KROGER!!! The management is horrible and not to mention the company as a whole!! ALSO, I was a week and half away from receiving full benefits...they were looking for a reason to fire me so they didnt have to fork out benefits!! I AM NOT STUPID! I was unjustly fired and if I had the money to fight this in court, I would've just to prove a point!!

• Uo
      13th of Feb, 2011

thats [censor]!!

• Ex
      19th of Apr, 2011

I also worked for Kroger for right at 2 years and they 'indefinitely suspended' me because I scanned my Kroger's card to give a customer the advertised sales price in the Fuel Center (which is the dept. where I worked). They said that I was stealing points to use for gas rewards and I told them to kiss my behind! EVERYONE in the fuel center scans their krogers card to help the customers, including the manager!The manager and everyone else for that matter has done it in front of me many times and never gotten written up or suspended. I was furious! I had never even been written up until then! They then told me that I would not receive unemployment which I am currently receiving Thank God! And now it seems that they are trying to fight me on it with an appeal! God forbid that they win! Kroger has alot of nasty people working in management who dont care if you lose everything you have & dont mind taking away your only means of survival. I thought they were a good company to work for until now. :-(

• Ra
      25th of Jul, 2011

i have been suspended for thirty days now in one week i will be homeless i have called the union rep a thousand times and she never answers then she calls back at the oddest hours lets the phone ring twice and hangs up i really dont know what to do i told her that i was going to be homeless and she said thats not my problem and i thought then why was i giving money to you out my check.

• Ir
      15th of Aug, 2011

My wife was just fired for ringing her Dr. Pepper out on a self check out isle, she is extremely upset as they were doing it they said we don't want to do this but you used your Kroger card so there will be a record of it she said but I didn't use my card and they still did it.. They even tricked her into signing a resignation letter because they know the store policy on cashing your self out on your register is not the same as self scan...they gave her HUGGS TO MAKE IT ALL BETTER, what a f----king joke...

• Do
      1st of Sep, 2011

This is one reason why I left kroger now I know that when you work part time it can be from 20 hours or less the reason I left was because of medical and also because the hours were to close like one time I worked from 4:30pm-11:30pm then I had to be at work by 6:00am the next morning.

@ irishmn69- They fired her just because she checked herself out at the self checkout line
    Thats missed up I checked myself out when I bought my lunch and my manger let me.

• Wo
      9th of Jan, 2015

I'm on suspension waiting for a second meeting termination likely. I mistakenly bought an energy drink on the clock. I don't even like energy drinks and only bought one to help make me a more efficient worker, I was up the night before helping someone through a hard time and when I was working I realized I was just about passing out. I wanted to get my work done so as not to be a nuisance. I messed up I know but I didn't fully understand the policy, even though I signed it. Everyone from employees to managers to union rep's & HR was on my side saying I did nothing wrong, so why am I still suspended I need to work!

15th of Sep, 2015

Kroger terminated me for know reason I was going in my orientation the lady said she seen me at Wal-Mart working it's a lie I got my work shirt for to work on 9/16/15 he hung up on my job coach the supervisor got smart I'm getting treated bad I did everything the ask me to I have by polar they say a person that has any disability should not be put down I cry all night my number Is 14342215872

15th of Sep, 2015

I been terminated for nothing I don't if it is my disability it need to be investigated my name is jermaine taylor Timberlake Kroger Lynchburg va the boss hung up on me and my job coach he was being unprofessional my number Is 14342215872

• Au
      27th of Oct, 2015

A lot of these things that were done are illegal. It appears that you are young and do not know your rights. Knowledge is power. I wonder if after working f/t for over year that your benefits were about to change or you were do a raise or they wanted to hire someone at less pay. If you are not in the wrong never agree. Fight you had nothing to lose. Now you have blot on your work record .

• Tr
      26th of Jan, 2016

I got fired a couple days before my 60 days. They knew if they waited to give me a 60 day evaluation that I would have the union on my side. But instead, at 55 days, they gave me a 30 day evaluation and fired me for attendance. I only missed two days of work, which I have two doctors notes for, they were also spaced out, weeks apart. I found out I was pregnant and I had to go to the ER for IV because I was completely dehydrated from puking 24/7. I went to work and puked 4 times in 5 hours. When I arrived at work, the start of a new week, a man pulled me to his office, with a witness. He said that my boss, Peggy, thought I was hard working, great to work with, and very nice, but she has decided no to continue my employment because of attendance. I told them that I had doctors notes for each days, but that doesn't matter, I guess. We have people who have called off over 10 times in the 55 days I've worked there. And they've recorded multiple warnings, and I did not. I was not even aware anything bad was happening because my bossss, Peggy and Anita said they loved working with me, and that they wish they could clone me to have multiples working. I worked in the Deli/backery and it is the hardest place to work, not because of the work, but mostly because of the horrible people that work there. I never said anything bad about anyone and I certainly don't think I deserved to be fired with this reason. They said not only was it my attendance, but I was taking 30 minute breaks on my 15, and they had the paper of punch outs to prove it. But they wouldn't let me see it. I never took longer on my breaks, I think they were trying to find something to fire me for before I got the union on my side. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Te
      28th of May, 2018

@Tranquilityy Go to legal aid

• El
      6th of Apr, 2016

Employment was recently ended..But I wasn't aware until March..Here's the thing.In September I had to take time off due to change in my kids daycare..When I went to hr to inform them, she asked the time frame, originally it was just suppose to be a few weeks.I was then told that I didn't have to formally put in a Leave of Absence as long as I communicated the issue with my department manager..And if I needed more time I could then use my vacation time or submit my LOA..I talked with both my dept. manager as well as Asst. dept in my dept..this was all understood, so I thought. A month had passed, so I went in to speak with my manager and to inform her I would be out longer if I continued on day shift, (my original shift was 9-3)..so I let her know I could be available some evenings and weekends. And to call if someone didn't come in for their evening shift, and I would take it, if need be.She said ok cool, I did work on days my older kids were out of school and some weekends..She would text me to see if I wanted her to put me on the schedule for that week, and I would inform her yes or no, depending on the days..no problem..I would also check the schedule online..for the most part, I wasn't scheduled, fine..because I knew we had already talked and I may not have been scheuled, I worked in November 17, 2015, no problem..checked the schedule for the following week, nothing, schedule was available "in store" on Friday after 2..but wasn't available online Saturday til after 1 or 2 pm..When I did check it, the system was down..I checked again and wasn't scheduled..So time still went on, I often went in the store to speak with my manager..everything seemed fine...until, March of this year..I noticed that my discount wasn't showing, several times, but all up until then, I was still receiving my discount as well as able to access the employee website, which the website is only "active" employees...All until March..so when I tried to apply for unemployment, was denied..their reason, "I abandoned my job, and missed two days In November..after the days that I actually worked..thing is, I wasn't aware that I was scheduled because when I checked online, no schedule was posted for me...Then I had to have an evaluation call with unemployment service and Kroger on a three way call.. The people representing Kroger were people I don't know, nor worked with..they were new hr people..So they said, the had a spoke with my manager and she said she talked with me about my attendance and I (supposedly) I assured her I would be there for my scheduled shifts from now on, , however, that conversation has never, never, never happened between the manager and myself, ..for one, cause I was at work when I was suppose to...so now, ironically, I haven't been able to contact her(dept. manager)...So now it's as if, I was a no call/no show... But I wasn't...I'm in the process now of trying to clear this all up as well as my name..because none of that wasn't true...I have been with Kroger for over a year, and would never just "not show up"..Never...For one, I know how busy the deli dept. can be...I've tried to contact someone in corporate because this is definitely not fair.

• As
      23rd of May, 2016

A few weeks ago i was suspended pending termination. I worked in the bakery department and was really sick (super dizzy to the point of getting nauseous) so i told my department head that i needed to leave. I had all of my work done and there were two other people working. My department head told me to okay it with a store manager. I searched the store, the office, outside the store, and paged her. She was no where to be found. So i told my department head that i couldnt find her and i couldnt wait any longer to leave, and then i left. So my store manager claims i walked off the job. After she "fired" me, i called the union. My store manager refused to have a meeting with the union rep and i. She also told the union rep that i should have gotten the store manager that was on duty's cell number from the customer service desk. Why the heck would i have thought to get her number? I feel like that's kind of crossing a line. All of this is absolutely ridiculous since i left exactly one hour early... complete ludacris. I had my meeting with HR a couple weeks ago and still haven't heard anything...

• Hi
      24th of Oct, 2016

I worked at Kroger a few years ago for just under one month. Why was I there one month? They fired me of course! Why was I fired? Good question. I'd like to know too. I was a floral clerk. My job was to guard and water flowers until someone came rolling into my fence. I loved it! For the most part, I was completely alone. I really loved the job and felt I had found the perfect opportunity. I was even a recommended hire by one of their employees that had been there forever! But one day they called me into the office. They asked me if I thought I was doing well at the store. What a weird question right? I was given no verbal warning. No written notice. No heads up at all. They fired me right then and there because "customers said you weren't smiling enough ". What the actual heck, Kroger?