KitchenAid/Whirlpool / kitchenaid dishwasher model kdfe104dbl0 - leaking; broken pump/motor assembly

1 United States

I'm incredibly disappointed in this product and these companies.

Over the holidays (Dec. 25, 2018), my just under 4 year old dishwasher leaked into our basement. Turns out, it had been leaking for a bit; building up water underneath the unit until it went into the basement. Our very good and reliable local service technician immediately identified a faulty pump/motor assembly. He said he'd replaced 30+ of those assemblies on this model KitchenAid dishwasher in 2018 alone... and that he owned the same model dishwasher himself and he also had to replace the pump/motor. This on a not even 4 year old machine, which, outside of this major issue, I really like!

There are plenty of similar complaints on this website and others. And, of course, it's out of warranty. It's cheaper to replace the part than the entire dishwasher, but not if I have to replace the part every 3 years if it continues to fail.

I called Whirlpool to log a complaint and request payment for the new pump/motor (a $150-$200 part). I was told they weren't any recall notices or history of consumer complaints. I find that entirely suspect, but they would not offer any support. This was my first KitchenAid appliance... and likely the last if this is an indication of their quality/durability over time.

Ad