KitchenAid / stand mixer

1 Toronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

My artisan mixer literally exploded out the bottom when I was mixing egg whites-fire and sparks everywhere!

It was just over one year old. It cost me $96. To fix.

I wrote a letter to the president of whirlpool north america, michael a. Todman and to the general manager of whirlpool canada, eli federman.

Guess what folks, not a word from anyone in 5 months.
I' m not surprised. I was warned by the repair shop of their attitude.

My mixer is for sale. I won't have another whirlpool product in my home, ever again.

Comments

• Up
      6th of Jul, 2009
    Kitchenaid - stand mixers
    Kitchen Aid
    Meridian
    Idaho

We owned a regular Kitchen Aid stand mixer for 13 years and LOVED it, but when we decided to upgrade to a heavy duty lift-stand mixer we were in for a very big disappointment! Regretably, we gave away the first mixer and theirs is working better than our new one! I DO NOT RECOMMEND THESE 'HEAVY DUTY MIXERS' TO ANYONE who likes to cook using whole wheat. They can't handle double batches of 100% whole wheat bread. They can't handle the food grinder attachment for grinding wheat sprouts, or making whole wheat pasta. At first it handles dough beautifully, but the gears start 'popping' after a year or so, and by then your warranty is expired. Having used a smaller Kitchen Aid mixer for 13 years, I did not worry about changing my dough recipes. I didn't see in their instructions that I could not use 100% whole wheat until it was too late. It's very discouraging to spend $400 for a mixer that can't do any more than the smaller, less expensive, models. These are NOT heavy duty mixers. You have to 'baby' them more than the smaller mixers. BEWARE wheat-savvy-cooks...This is NOT the appliance for you. The repair center says it will be a minimum of $75 or so to fix our gears. PLUS, I can no longer make whole wheat bread (I must use white flour too), and I no longer dare use the food grinder attachment (which was $75!) because I don't want to go through this repair again!

• Ra
      3rd of Dec, 2011

To further clarify something that is not apparent: These stand mixers are pretty but in actuality cant do much more than a $15 portable hand mixer could achieve. They are notorious for burning up while someone tried to use the dough hook (which they may as well delete from the packing...since it just misleads people into thinking the things can handle bread dough) . Whole grain bread doughs especially are best hand mixed - only a $2017 Hobart commercial mixer can handle that. I gleaned this info from numerous comments from consumers while considering the purchase of one of these machines...I decided to just skip it because I just want it to simplify making bread dough. They are not mechanically designed or fabricated for that use - none of them, it turns out.