KitchenAid / self cleaning oven

Muldrow, OK, United States Review updated:

I remodeled my kitchen in Aug of o8. My new kitchen aid self cleaning oven is unusable because
when it is turned on it locks the door and is impossible to use until a repair man is called.
I called the Kitchen aid company and they admitted there was a problem and they had
complaints before, but said they would extend my warrenty for a year and half, but refused to pay for the repair from the first time it happened.
I explained that the cabinet doors on each side of the oven were so hot I could not touch
them & I was concerned it might set my house on fire. She said if that happened they
would take care of it. I am sure that was just an untrue remark, but I am afraid to use
it. How can they sell something that the consumer pays a lot of money for just to find
out to late that they can't use it?

Do

Comments

• Sk
      12th of Mar, 2010

I have the same problem, I went to use the self clean feature for the first time, it shut down early, locked the door and made the electronic control pad blank and useless. I will never buy a kitchenad again, especially after dealing with the snotty attitude of the KA staff on the phone...they were NO HELP AT ALL, THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. I paid over $1200. for this piece of crap.

• Mo
      11th of Aug, 2010

I have the EXACT same problem using the self-cleaning function on my oven (door locks, panel goes blank and the whole thing is dead). The solution from my repairman is Easy-Off Self Cleaning spray. KA's customer service admits they will do NOTHING to remedy a problem THEY caused. What a crappy company selling crappy appliances -- STAY away from them!

• Te
      12th of Dec, 2010

I just dealt with this same problem today. Its a relatively easy fix especially if you're out of warranty. The thermostat needs to be replaced on the back of the oven. Pull the oven out, take off the back and replace the thermostat (part #9759242) for about $30-$50. Not a cheap solution but cheaper than calling the repair guy.

• Cr
      21st of Jan, 2011

I would recommend that no one buy a KitchenAid oven. We have a Superba combination microwave and convection oven. 1.5 years after buying it the microwave glass door shattered because the spring in the door broke. We could not get KA to own up the fact that the spring was faulty. We had to have the repairman come out twice. He broke the new glass just trying to fix it. Now a year and half later it has broken again. We are adults that take care of our appliances. We don't let the door drop or rest heavy things on the door. The metal spring just breaks. Obviously a design flaw. But will KA do anything about it? We paid $1400 for this unit and I thought I was getting a wonderful, reliable appliance. Wrong. Don't buy this garbage because as a company, they don't care. They've got their money and that's it.

• To
      28th of Nov, 2012

We have the same issue, used the self-clean option once, blew the Thermal Fuse, yes it is easy to replace yourself, and costs much less then a repair techs visit, however only months after replacing the Thermal Fuse/Thermostat the oven no longer keeps a constant temperature. We had something in the oven for 3hours, pulled it out to test for done-ness to find it was half raw still. I have tried researching this issue, called our local repair tech. So he says it is either the Thermal Fuse again, which apparently also keeps the oven at set temperature. Or he says it could even be a 2nd part the Temperature Sensor. This product is a piece of Crap and Kitchen Aid has been zero help. This is our first and last Kitchen Aid appliance