Kitchenaid Dishwasher / faulty design

McLean, IL, United States Review updated:

My husband and I purchased a new, $900 KitchenAid dishwasher in June 2006. For the first 12 months, it worked beautifully. Then one month after the warranty ran out, it stopped cleaning the dishes. After a full cycle, they were filthy -- full of debris and stained -- and we were doing nothing differently than before. It took two repairmen (and $450) before we diagnosed the problem, which was twofold.

First, the soap dispenser was not latching properly, so the Rinse Aid poured out. There was so much residual soap foam in the dishwasher that it took hours, many cycles and many towels to clean out.

Secondly, we discovered that during the majority of its cycle (over an hour), the machine did not drain out the dirty water. It would pause, then resume cleaning -- with the dirty water! The problem turned out to be a faulty control board, which we found out (from doing internet research) that other KitchenAid customers had also experienced. We had a repairman install a new control board and the dishwasher worked well again -- for another 12 months. Now we are once again having the same issue.
When you spend $900 for a high-end dishwasher, obviously you expect it to last more than one year. We sent an email about the problem to KitchenAid and got the standard "sorry you've had a problem; I'm sure you won't in the future" response. No offer to compensate us for the repair, or acknowledgment of the faulty part. Clearly, we won't buy a KitchenAid dishwasher ever again.

Comments

Nc
  24th of Jan, 2009
I ordered a KitchenAid Dishwasher model KUDL03IVWH. I originally planned to install it today, but after reading the complaints on this site and multiple complaints on another site, I am having second thoughts.
I found out that they are made in China, the circuit board often fails and the door mechanism fails. Also KitchenAid's customer support is apathetic.
Ater reading all these complaints, is a class action in the cards?
Think I'll go with a Bosch.
Ja
  17th of Mar, 2010
This Kitchenaid dishwasher is the worst I have ever used and I have been doing dishes for over 45 years. The glasses are etched permanently (had to buy new ones) Company says its because "TOO MUCH SOAP WAS USED" Even though the amount was according to THEIR manual. Dishes have gritty food particles baked on them. Company says probably because my water temp is too low or not enough pressure. Service tech said the temp & pressure were fine. I had to soak them in the sink & scrub them by hand, Yea! that’s a real time saver! Pots & pans have a greasy texture to them, Hey! that would save on using Olive oil, I never thought of that! Dishes do not dry on any cycle. I have used 9 different detergents & 3 different rinse aids same result no matter what cycle it is on. Company sent out a serviceman, he checked & double checked everything & could not find anything wrong!
OH! & by the way dishwasher barely 3 MONTHS OLD!!!

KitchenAid Logo KitchenAid