Kenmore Trio Elite Refrigerator / $2000 refrigerator break down in only 2.5 years!

I purchased a Kenmore Elite Trio refrigerator in April 2004. This weekend we were hearing loud thumping noises coming from the refrigerator and earlier that afternoon, the top refrigerator portion of the unit died. While the freezer works, the top half of the unit does not. Needless to say, I called 1-800-4my-home to get service as quickly as possible. I mentioned since this unit was only 2.5 years old it should all be under warranty . Although the manual states differently regarding the coolant, compressor parts, are warrantied for 5 years according to the manual that came with the refrigerator. I made the appointment on Saturday for that Tuesday. My husband took off of work waiting for repair because they had confirmed that someone would be there between 8am-12noon. At 11:00am I called my husband to see if they had arrived. They had not. Concerned I called the Sears 1-800-4my-home number to check on it. Lo and behold, there was no appointment in their schedule to service our refrigerator, even after I emphasized the phone attendant to confirm Tuesday morning through noon. When I asked that they come out as soon as possible (it's been 4 days now), they said nothing was available that all they could do it put me on a waiting list for a cancellation but Friday morning (now 1 week later) had been put on the schedule for us.

My concern is #1 why would a $2000 refrigerator break down in only 2.5 years?
Concern #2 -- are Kenmore appliances that bad that their service schedule is so jammed packed where you have to wait a week?
Concern #3 -- Why do they not know what the warranty reads in the manual?

Loss - 4 hours of work/time out of the office and no food for the refrigerator...

Less than happy with the product and with the service. I'd go elsewhere next time.

Comments

• Ly
      26th of Jun, 2007

I had the same exact experience. Fridge was 1 yr. and 3 months old when we came home to smell smoke in the house. The fridge was not working, but the freezer was. Eventually the freezer stopped too. Sears scheduled an appointment for repair, but when they didn't show, I called the 1-800-4-my-home number again and the automatic answer indicated I had an appointment for that day. Wanting to speak with a "real" person I called back and circumvented the auto answer, at which point I was advised that I was not scheduled for another 2-weeks. When they finally came, it was the fan motor, which when I check online is about a $25.00 part, but which they charged me $286.00 to repair. Additionally, I have found that there have been 26,000 of these units, produced by various manufacturers, that have been recalled as "hazards"... Guess what... For the fan! Sears is trying to tell me they have not had a recall??

• Pa
      29th of Jun, 2007

Wow, its pretty hard to believe but I had that same problem. The day was bad enough and when I arrived home, I smelt smoke. I was not sure what is was and I did not hear the smoke alarm so after about 30 minutes i realized that it was the refrigerator. I was appalled because it was approx. 1 and 1/2 years old and I paid close to $2000.00 so naturally i expected it to work fine. So, I called the 1-800-4-my-home help line and the wait was many, many hours and I did not have the time. So before work tomorrow I called and oddly enough they answered. They were completely unhelpful. (Years earlier i had called for service on another product and they had an emergency # but where did that go?)So I asked for the emergency # and the man said,"... We never had an emergency number... The talking went on and finally i scheduled an appointment for one of the upcoming days and I was not trustworthy of them so I called the next day to verify "... O, yes sir, the repair specialist will be there...". Well the day came and i took of work to direct them and what do you know the NEVER showed up, not even a phone call! So I was completely furious with them and called and made them come the next day, they finally did. When they got there the trouble continued. They were trying to convince me that there was never a recall so I showed them the website and they were still unconvinced. So when the started the repair they discovered that it was the fan and they wanted to charge about $300.00 for it. Luckily, with some sort of luck i convinced them to drop the charges.(Of course after hours on the phone and with the repair "specialist") Sadly ya'll did have to pay... but all I know is that I will never by another Kemore ever again.