Kenmore Oven / Beware! Don't burn your house!

United States Review updated:
On Sunday May 27, 2007, I turned my Sears Kenmore oven on to preheat so I could bake cookies. I left the room for less than 5 minutes. When I returned, I realized my oven was on fire. The bottom heating element was in flames and the digital read outs on the stove top were all blank. I turned the oven off, it continued to burn, so I ran to the circuit breaker and turned it off, after a few minutes, the fire went out. My range was SO hot, it took a long time for the exterior of it to cool enough to touch. We called the manager at our local Sears, and several other people, all the way to the corporate offices. NO one would offer any satisfaction. This range was only 5 years old! We wanted them to come and see what malfunctioned and caused it to burn. They refused to do that unless we paid them to come. Since the oven was destroyed, we didn't want to sink any more money into it. We had it hauled away when our new range was delivered (not a Kenmore, and not from Sears). We do have pictures of the burned element and the serial # off the range. We hope someone will take notice and recall these ovens before someones house burns down.

N  28th of Oct, 2006 by

Kenmore Washer - Leaking problem

I bought a $1000.00 Kenmore washer in July 2006. It started leaking before the return date. I had Sears come and look at the washer to fix it. Of course they said nothing was wrong with the washer. Now October 2006, the washer is leaking again. Now it is beyond the return date. I feel like I am getting taken advantage of somehow. A $1000.00 washer should not be leaking after three months of use. What should I do?

Birmingham, Alabama

Store details: Sears Located in the Galleria Mall in Birmingham, Alabama
A  10th of Jul, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
It just happened to me. My Kenmore is just 3 years old and we only use the oven about twice a week. My lower element burned in half and left melted pools of metal on the bottom of the oven. I thought it was just the element so I scraped off the slag and put in a new element but while I was doing that I leaned on the bottom of the oven with about 10 pounds pf pressure and it collapsed. I spent the next 6 hours taking apart the oven and making and installing a metal bracket to hold it up and prevent it from collapsing again- something it should have had in the first place. Then I plugged the oven in and turned it on for a minute and then off. The lower element would not go off. I unplugged the oven again. I looked at a schematic which indicated it had relays and a temperature probe which i recognized as possible problem areas. I examined the relay for the lower element first. Sure enough it was stuck in the on position. I prayed it loose with a screwdriver and it works again. However, it could happen again at any time. I must watch it while using it now. It shuts itself off frequently by itself, something it has been doing infrequently for 2 years. For instance last Thanksgiving we had the turkey in the oven and the timer we set buzzed so we went to remove the cooked oven from the oven and serve it and the oven was barely warm! We had to guess at how long it had been cooked and restart the oven. I already bought the new element, spent the day fixing the bottom panel, should I now spend $200 on a new control panel with the relays on it? (you can not buy just the relays).

What to do, what to do.
A  1st of Aug, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
This happened to me last year with our Kenmore oven. It was only three years old. I contacted Sears and Whirlpool (the manufacturer of Kenmore) and they did nothing but blame each other. I contacted my local news and I was even on TV about it. You can go to WFTV.com and to action 9 to add to the report in case it is resolved. The TV station contacted Sears and reported them to Consumer Safety, so hopefully they will check it out.
N  6th of Aug, 2007 by
Dear All,

The heating unit in my one-year old stove also burned and the metal melted on my Kenmore Stove. This just happen on August 5, 2007. My entire oven was in flames while the metal of the heating unit oxidized with a bright white glowing flame. Had I not entered the kitchen when I heard a fire cracker noise in the oven while preheating the very clean (like new) oven to 350 degrees, my house would have burned down. At the moment that I entered the kitchen, the smoke alarm was going off. I was able to extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher but opening the oven to do so was risky. My house still smells like smoke.

Mary Whitman.
N  28th of Aug, 2007 by

Kenmore Elite Washer - Unacceptable service time frame!

I purchased a top of the line washer and dryer in September 2006 along with a 5 year protection plan. I called Sears to set up an appointment for a technician to repair my washer as when I press the on button the machine does not power up.

My husband and I checked the outlet to be sure it is live and it is, therefore the problem lies within the washer. I was told that it would be a full week before a tech could check it out. Meanwhile I have a fully loaded machine of dirty clothes along with liquid detergent sitting in the machine waiting to be washed.

According the the phone tech a washer is not considered an emergency. I feel that with the money spent to buy the machine plus the protection plan any appliance that stops working within the first year should be considered an emergency.

Sears certainly does feel that receiving their money on time is urgent. I am sure they would be quick to penalize any late payment.

I will probably not purchase any future appliances from sears.
A  30th of Aug, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Our 5 month year old Sears-Kenmore oven's element burst into flame. I had to turn the oven off, then use our kitchen fire extinguisher on it. Boy, did Sears hear from me!
A  1st of Sep, 2007 by
We had the same problem with Sears repair department with our one year old washer (full load in the Kenmore front loading washer, would not drain, all lights flashing, door locked shut). First available time almost a week later, scheduled between 1- 5 and the repair person does not show up until 5:55PM - total waste of a day for us.

Could not fix problem, repair person stated he needed a new computer and pump, had to order from warehouse, could not get for five days. PROMISES that he would schedule the service call for Thursday morning as we had travel plans and had to leave on Thursday afternoon. NO SHOW... when we called the service department we were advised that the service call would not take place until Friday!!! POOR SERVICE, WOULD NOT BUY KENMORE AGAIN!
A  11th of Sep, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
My Kenmore oven is less than 5 years old and last night 9-10-07 the lower heating element would not shut off until I unplugged the oven from the wall.
A  24th of Sep, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Tonight, I had a very (apparently) common problem. I turned my oven to preheat at 400 , I left the room for 5 minutes and when I came back to the kitchen, the entire oven was off. I opened the oven door and smoke poured out. Once the oven had cooled off, my husband and I looked further and saw that the bottom heating element caught fire and thankfully fizzled out. I called Sears and they said someone will be here tomorrow and that it is $67 for the service call plus parts and labor to fix it as it is past the 1 year warranty (by 40 days). I am disgusted and will be filing a complaint with the BBB and finding out how to go about pushing for a recall.
A  26th of Sep, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
On Sunday, September 23, 2007 I turned my Sears Kenmore oven on to proheat so I could warm some meat already in the oven. I was standing in front of the oven warming some food on top of the stove when I saw a bright light coming out of the oven vent on top of the stove. I open the oven door The bottom heating element was in flames and shoot sparks every where in side the oven. Not sure what to do; I stood there a few seconds amist the smoke now coming from the oven. I was not sure if I turned the knob off; if I would be electricuted because the stove is all electric. I turned the knob to off and the flames and sparks continued for a few seconds. It had burned the element in half. I went to the Sears repair shop and told them what happen and the 2 people I was talking to immediately looked at each other. The lady at the counter gave me a 1-800 number to call. I did and the person did not respond to the problem but told me if they sent someone there to look at it, it would be an automatic 65.00 whether they could fix it or not. If not, I could apply the 65.00 towards another stove. My stove is 7 years old and there should not be a problem with it. If there are more than one complaint with similar mishaps; something should be done. What is Sears waiting for; someone to be electricuted or their house to burn down.
A  1st of Oct, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Same thing happened to me this past Tuesday night - my oven is only 6 years old. The same bright light, etc. The fire was right on the heating element. The Fire Dept. said this has been happening a lot.
A  4th of Nov, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
The same thing happened to me last night (11/3/2007). I was heating up some food in the oven and within three minutes of cooking I saw a large amount of white sparks and heard sizzling of an electrical nature. I was terrified and ran to the circuit breaker to shut it off. When I returned I noticed the baking element on the right side melted in one spot. I called Sears but no one picked up since it is a Sunday. The oven is brand new. I attained it with the purchase of my house. The house was built in Nov of 2006.

This is totally unacceptable, this oven is brand new!!
N  9th of Nov, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I also have problems with my Kenmore electric stove. I have replace the oven temp sensor twice and again the oven will continue to heat up beyond the set temp and i will have to pull the stove out and unplug it for it to shut off. very disgusted in this sears product, i have every appliance in my house for the last twenty years including riding lawn mowers from sears. Will never by from Sears again.
A  10th of Nov, 2007 by
Just a few days ago we had a similar incident with a Kenmore electric range. Blue arc of electricity jumped out when the range top was switched on. Called Sears and they want about $60 to come and look at it. When I told them it was a safety issue and that they ought to repair it for no cost the lady balked and said no one there would authorize that. If it was a safety problem, she said, it was my fault as I did not want to pay then to come look at it.

I have reported this to the US CPSC and if all of you have not I suggest you do so. It is quite easy by email to do this. I am also going to contact some legal council to see if there could be a class action suit on this product. There is definitely a defect and definitely a safety issue here and Sears ought to step up nad fix these defects. This is not a problem from normal wear and tear but one of, in my opinion, a defect in the product.
A  28th of Nov, 2007 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Yesterday my oven overheated and would not turn off until I cut the power. I was home and awake when this happened. I fear that someone will be injured. I contacted the Consumer Safety people. Any other thoughts?
A  15th of Dec, 2007 by
Same issue many are having, turned oven on to bake cookies 2 days ago & they burnt horribly, turned oven off. Today put cookies in & they were also burning within 10 minutes. Tried to turn oven off & it wouldn't turn off. Husband switched breaker off & then back on. Oven turned itself back on! Have to leave the breaker off for safety! Not sure if I want to have it repaired as may still be a danger!
A  26th of Jan, 2008 by
We have just had the same fire incident as many other people on here. I was preheating the oven and then I heard a big bang and then a popping/sizzling sound and then when I turned around (thank goodness I was still in the kitchen) I noticed a flame. I ran over and shut off the oven and unplugged it. The element is burned right through and it even burned a big hole in the bake cover which is pretty thick metal. Our oven is just 2 years old!! We have Sears coming to fix another problem already (the liner finish is chipping off), but I am not sure whether I still want this oven. I will be afraid this will happen again!! I think I might try to fight with Sears to get it exchanged. I find it disgusting that Sears is hiding their heads in the sand about this whole situation. Like someone else said, what will it take someone to lose a life or their house before they do anything about it?
A  30th of Jan, 2008 by
I am another victim of kenmore stoves catching on fire. I just bought the stove in October and I bought the fancy one with the heating elements hidden to prevent food burning on the bottom. I was going to put garlic bread in the oven and for some reason the oven wouldn't turn on until I turned the burners off on the stove. I put my garlic bread in and within 5 minutes the bottom of my oven was engulfed in flames. I am grateful my husband was still in the kitchen and notcied it. We were able to get it out and no damage was done to our house. I called Sears and luckily I am still under the manufacturers warranty, I am just afraid to have them replace it with the same stove.

I will never buy any appliances from sears again first our dishwasher now this.
A  2nd of Feb, 2008 by
I too, just had an oven fire on a Sears Kenmore electric range model 911.95582990 that I purchased new in June 1999. I went to turn on the oven last night and no lights came on. I opened the oven and much to my surprise, the entire inside was coated in white residue, and the entire bake element was disintegrated on the bottom of the oven! It happened sometime between when I last used it days ago, God only knows if it was while we slept or while we were not home, thankfully it was contained to the inside of the oven & didn't burn down our house! By the looks of it and how it melted, we were very lucky! Metal laying on the bottom in piles, very intense fire! Sears needs to recall these! No more Kenmore/Sears stuff for me, I've had my share with all their appliances and issues over the years. And definitely not after reading all these complaints! We are not alone!
A  2nd of Feb, 2008 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Today we turned our Elite oven on at 425 to make a pizza and the bottom heating element began to fuse like an arc welder. Wy wife shut off the unit and it continued... we hit the circuit breaker to stop it after pouring baking soda and extinguisher on it. I estimate it got to 600 degrees within ten minutes. The house reeks and it will cost to repair. Fortunately no one was hurt and no major damage was done.

The last complaint being made 31 MINUTES before this, I have to believe there is a total failure with Sears to address the safety issues here. Sears is letting it's responsibilities slide away- apparently consumer safety means nothing to this once-great company. I recommend a class action lawsuit, given the lack of response by Sears. Someone will get killed in a burning house!

Kenmore Logo Kenmore