Kenmore 600 Washing Machine / Washer

Leavenworth, KS, United States Review updated:
3.9
I purchased a Kenmore 600 washer. Immediately it was making too much noise and shaking too much when spinning. I looked over the instructions and the troubleshooting guide and followed all the directions. (I do know not to overload and to check the balance of the load) I tried to contact customer service by phone and by e-mail about the warranty and how to proceed to get my washer checked out but the only answer I received was to follow the instructions! I couldn't even afford to return it because they'd charge me a 15% restocking fee! That's about $100.00 for the use of their malfunctioning washer for less than a month! I just don't know what to do.

Comments

Up
  4th of Feb, 2009
I had the same issues with this poor quality washer. It has been less than 6 month since I purchased this an am at a point to simply leave it at the front door in front of Sears. Do not buy this washer!!!
Ni
  17th of Nov, 2009
Poor quality washer is the understatement! Traditionally, Sears quality has been good, but the 600 washer is bad design. First, there is no gradient water temperature control. A timer switches from periods of full hot to full cold. Temperature 'control' is attempted by varying the relative time that the hot or cold are on. The result is that you can not tell what the final temp will be, plus, if you have hot temperature sensitive fabric, it will be damaged. The only way to control the temperature of the wash is to load the washer with a bucket from the kitchen sink with the desired temperature water.
Second, you can not open the lid to observe water level as the load is washing. The machine stops. They may call it 'safety' but there could be a button over-ride.
Third, The timer has only three fixed positions and does not allow a reasonable range of wash cycle times.
Fourth, the agitation begins with a harsh agitation for a short period and then a gentle agitation, but this is controlled by the machine's timer, not my judgment.
On the positive side, the machine uses a shaft drive rather than the traditional old belts.
The tub is a nice porcelain with a nice agitator.
I think the design 'engineers' of this machine were computer nerds who have never done a load of laundry. I'm an engineer and the first machine I used was a Sunny Suds in the 1930's! It was better than this one.
Wo
  30th of Nov, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am also very unhappy with this washer, though usually a loyal Kenmore customer. I had the repairman out aboutthe temp, and he said that's just the way it is on these machine, and they had been forbidden to try changing anything out on them. When I didn't go ballistic, he said I was taking it remarkably well. compared to most customers he sees with this machine.

So, I'm carrying spaghetti pots of water from the kitchen sink to try to get the temperature right, etc. (I do >10 loads a week.) Also, it gets really dirty! I have to wipe it down and try to "floss" uner the lid every 2 weeks or so. I'm also ready to walk away from what we paid for this (about 4 months ago), and get something else.
Zo
  18th of Sep, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have also had my Kenmore 600 Washer a short time and smelled oil smells and it was very loud when spinning. I didn't think to much about it as it was level and not overloaded. Dumb customer I was but not anymore. It is almost 3 and now it has a mind of its own and spins only when it wants. If I spin the tub while the clothes are in it and shut the lid fast it will spin out but not like it should. So sorry I ever bought this as I also have the matching dryer and don't know whats gonna be next!
Co
  21st of Feb, 2011
Purchased this washer with other appliances in 2010 and still under warranty. The constant vibrations in the spin cycle are intolerable. Sears policy is if after three visits the problem persists they must replace. I do not want this model and will switch to another because I also believe the machine has inherent design problems! David
Md
  30th of Nov, 2014
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
We just got this washer along with all new Kenmore appliances in October for new condo. Two days ago we find water under machine, and checked the hoses and drain lines, no problem found. It must be leaking from the bottom of the machine, always clear water, usually after machine is nearing cycle finish or afterwards when not running.
Ge
  8th of Mar, 2016
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have issues with the noise level, shaking, and leaving spots. I keep seeing the same issues on several sites, can there be a class action suit???
El
  1st of Sep, 2017
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Agreed with all of you. Horrid washer. It would be faster to take my clothes down to the creek and beat them against rocks. I follow every guideline to use a Energy Efficient washer but the Kenmore 600 series is hopeless. This is how I have to wash clothes. I use 2 tablespoons of detergent. I ALWAYS use DEEP FILL and Bulky Wash Cycle, I ALWAYS use two rinses. I NEVER use fabric soft and I always run a rinse and spin after the first wash. It takes 2 hours to do one load. If I skip any of the above step I will get areas on the clothes that are dry, detergent that is undissolved, and it simple is not clean. Thank goodness my H works in an office. If he worked constructions we would have to burn his work clothes every week "cause washing would be useless. I keep fantasizing that this thing will catch on fire so that I can replace it.
Di
  15th of Oct, 2017
Kenmore 600 washing machines do not serve their purpose as . They do not clean. The largest factor is due it not coming close to providing enough water to wet the materials, thus we must cart gallons of water through the house to try to make this faulty equipment do the job it claims to do - wash. I would guess there are enough dissatisfied customers to warrant a class action lawsuit. I have been a Kenmore fan for decades, but will not shop Sears again after the over zealous salesperson assured us this was their top selling machine.
Cm
  28th of Dec, 2017
I purchased the Kenmore 600 Series a little over a year ago. This is the most expensive and worst machine I have ever owned. For every dark load of clothes that are washed they must be re-washed to get all the grey stains or lint off the clothes. I've used machine cleaners that are at an extra expense that I find useless as well. If there is a class action suit please include me in. I need a new washing machine that cleans.

Kenmore Logo Kenmore