Kay Jewelers / ring not back when promised

1 Elkhart, IN, United States Review updated:
Phone: 574-304-1412

I took my engagement ring to Kay's on July 31, 2008- a prong had broken and I had purchased the "extra" warranty so they would fix their own mistakes for no further charge. Keep in mind, the ring was only about 4 months old when I took it in. At that time, I also requested that they give me an estimate on a specially made wedding band. They said they would have the estimate by August 8. On August 6th they called with the estimate which, at the time, I found to be very reasonable. I gave them the ok to make the wedding band and repair the engagement ring. They said it would take 30 days. After about 40 days, I called them to ask where my ring was. At that time, I was told that the original time frame was 30-45 days which I knew was a lie but they assured me that it would be back on Sunday, September 21. So, on day 45, I called to see if my ring was ready. I was put on hold for a few minutes while they called their "repair" shop. I was then told that it would be ready on Wednesday, September 24th. On Wednesday, September 24th, I called again, was again put on hold, and was then told that they weren't sure what was taking so long. At that point, my husband called them [yes, husband, we're married and I don't have my wedding band yet : ( ] . He was also told that the jewelry store was unsure of what exactly the repair shop was doing but they would call us as soon as they found out. So, Thursday, September 25th, (Day 49) I got a call from the assistant manager, Michelle. She said that she had spoken with Garrett, the man at the repair shop and that my ring was to be his number one priority and he was to get it done that day. I asked her if it was even started and she said she would have to call the "repair" shop. She called back a few minutes later and said that it hadn't been started. I told her to cancel it. Why would I pay these people money for something that they'd screwed up from the very beginning? She seemed shocked that I wanted to cancel it- she tried to tell me how beautiful it was going to be etc. I told her that it will be beautiful, but it won't be done by them. I told her to send my engagement ring back. She said they'd call me as soon as they got it. I called Sunday Sept. 28- again spoke with the assistant manager, Michelle, I was told that the store doesn't receive mail on the weekends - who in America doesn't get mail on Saturday??? - so the ring wouldn't be in until Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Now, today is day 53, and I AGAIN am told I have to wait for my ring. They haven't even started to fix the prong which was the original problem! We are telling EVERYONE WE MEET NOT TO SHOP AT KAYS! At no point did they even offer 1% or even a dollar off the cost of the specially made ring or even an apology for me going without my engagement ring for 2 months! They think they can't be affected by word of mouth but I'm on a crusade now to let everyone know that they're out for the money, they don't even care about the customers.

Comments

• Ed
      22nd of Nov, 2008

i agree with your problem, not sure why they were having a problem with the shop but sometimes the store is at the mercy of the repair schedules a shop might have. as far as mail on saturday, they don't use the u.s. postal service. ups is the shipper and they don't usually ship packages for delivery on saturday.