Kaplan University Financial Aid Departmentlaon disperments

Ch Ft Lauderdale, FL Review updated:

I have sent out a Educational Expense Application back in 07/08/08. Everyday I try to talk to my financial aid officer about why I haven't gotten a dispersment after my books and tuition is payed and she keeps telling me that the Home Office has to approve it and now the date is 11/04/08. It has been two terms and I still have not recieved anything and they keep telling me the same thing over and over. They keep telling me that it will take a week or two to go through and when I do call after a couple of weeks still the same exuse. I am so fed up with it.See the Top 10 Worst Companies in Ft Lauderdale, FL I am battling cancer, I am a single mom and I'm going to this school. They don't care about us, and who is to say that when they tell us that they are doing everything that they can they really are. I'm not there to hold their hand and make sure they are dong their job. I'm tired of being screwd and I'm still at the bottom of the hole with them. I wish some one out there can help me with this problem. I can't work because of my cancer so what am I suppose to do about my school supply's. Isn't that what the pell grant is for? I hope to God that someone will do something about the mess they are causing in innocent peoples lives.

Comments

Dec 01, 2008

I completely agree with you! I am going through the exact same thing. They are telling me the same thing and it is RIDICULOUS! I too am a single mother; I have two children and am currently out of work. I don't know who to call or what to do. My financial aid advisor is an ### and says the same damn thing to me every time. If you found a way to get around this let me know.
    Margaret

• Bo
      Mar 15, 2009

All of a sudden all the students in one class got an F for their grade, I know that I did much better than this as many others.

By giving a person an F they know your financial aid is cut off and guess what we the student has to foot the bill not to mention
    The University keeps the money and you the student gets nothing.

I say the rules need to change to protect the student and that all money should go to the student and not the school or University.

May 19, 2009

Kaplan's Financial Aid office does not seem to be there to help the students rather than seeking a profit. The employees that work there seem insensitive. They don't follow the guidelines in disbursing Financial Aid because there is no agency to make sure they follow the guidelines. The whole system is a failure.

The student is the ultimate ones taking out loans and will be the sole ones responsible for the debt yet an irresponsible department like the Financial aid office controls when the student receives the funds. It is not the lender but the school. Most schools set up direct deposit accounts or disburse the funds to the students bank not some school account they own after Tuition and fees are paid. Schools are not suppose to hold on to that money because the loan for for cost and attendance not just tuition and fees. Kaplan in effect is setting students up for failure. There ought to be some Federal Guidelines policing schools such as kaplan but they are more concerned about the borrower. Kaplan is not distributing funds in good faith.

• I too am a student at Kaplan. I am so tired of getting the message "your financial aid officer is not available, please hold to be connected to the next available financial aid officer." you hold for an hour, and you NEVER get to speak to anyone!!! I have requested my educational expense funds, and still have not received them. The school screwed up my pell grant, now they are telling me that I can't continue with classes!!! This is so bull ###!!! Something needs to happen, but who can you talk to? All you ever get it somebody's voice mail...
    ~Very Frustrated ~ Atlanta, Georgia

• Mi
      Oct 14, 2009

I have been attending Kaplan since Dec 2007 and I agree completely. Now I have had 2 FAO and both of them suck! they do not responde to email/voicemails. I have called/emailed the supervisor/manager and he too never response. I was told by my academic advisor to contact the complaint ombudsman. When I get the contact info Ill fwd it on. Good luck!

• I've done a little research on my own and the Office of the Provost, Dr. David Clinefelter, is responsible for overseeing the actions of the financial aid office. If someone can get a number or an email address for him so that we can contact him directly, then the financial aid office would be held more accountable for their mistakes and lack of professional courtesy.

• Rd
      Dec 04, 2009

I have been dealing with Kaplan's lack of responsiblity in the financial aid department for several months. I am a graduate student and carry a 4.0. Every other part of my education is fine, but this department has serious errors. I was first told that they weren't getting the funds from direct loans for my Educational Expenses. Then, someone admitted that they had the money, but their system was screwed up and wasn't paying out the money, thus an internal problem. I've experienced the same phone call and email avoidance. I'm not sure how true it is, but I was told by a friend at another institution that they school has 14 days from the time of receiving the funds to disburse them. Can anyone verify if this is true?

• Bo
      Dec 08, 2009

I dont know what is going on with the way their fin aid dept works, but i find myself instead of owing for just 2 classes i took in one semester--something like $7500!!!

Im outraged. Have any of your problems been given attention by those crooks some? Are any of you going legal on this one or thinking about it, maybe we can arrange for a global suit!!?

TY for sharing, there are kind of crooked, ain't they now?

• Ms
      Dec 30, 2009

I've been with Kaplan for one term. I did have an issue with them concerning the disbursement. I've been waiting for it for longer then I should. I've waited for more then half of the term! That shouldn't be happening!
    If any of you know.. how can I find out if they paid the correct amount for my disbursement?

I'm enrolled with Kaplan for an AA in criminal justice degree. I was calling around to see what school to attend to get my BA after I graduate from Kaplan. I found out that American Public University will only except 60 credits out of 90 completed credits!!! Where does the 30 credits go!? Can someone explain? I don't know if I should continue with Kaplan now. I will loose 30 credits for which I will have to pay! It does not make any sense to me. Also, I will not be receiving any disbursements for the next two terms because I am taking 3 classes this coming term instead of only 2. Is that how it should work? Please explain somebody...

Thank you...

May 05, 2010

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT GO TO KAPLAN THEY WILL STEAL YOUR DISBURSEMENT MONEY PERIOD!
    How do they do it? Well first off many people who attend college are not aware of the monies that should be sent to them, so they say nothing and Kaplan figures if they don't know about it they will keep it. If a person does know they are to get something, but isn't sure how to figure it up then Kaplan will send a small percentage of what is owed to the student and keep the rest.
    However, those who do know exactly what we should receive back get put off and put off until we are at our boiling point. I have been going through this crap with them for over 4 months! Still getting the run around. The law is that they have to send you your money within 14 business days of the time that the government loan is dispersed to the school. You can call them directly and ask when they sent it to the school. Do not go along with the financial aid information given to you on their website it is a load of crap. They put on there what ever they want.
    CONTACT THE OMSBUDSMANS OFFICE FOR SCHOOL COMPLIANCE WITH THE GOVERNMENT. They are in-charge of what happens to the monies that are dispursed from the govt and the rules that each school has to adhere by. Here is their website http://www.ombudsman.ed.gov/about/contactus.html and there is their number [protected]
    Also FILE A COMPLAINT ONLINE TO THE OIG OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL HERE https://wdcrobcolp01.ed.gov/CFAPPS/OIG/englishhotlineform.cfm
    NEXT FILE A BBB (BETTER BUSINESS COMPLAINT) HERE http://www.seflorida.bbb.org/ComplaintDetail.aspx?CompanyID=9636
    DON'T SIT BACK AND WAIT FOR THEM YOU WILL NEVER GET ANYTHING FROM KAPLAN.

<><><>By the way most companies do not consider their degree's to be anything but a waste of paper, most won't accept it for employment><><><
    ><><>Also most traditional schools will not accept Kaplan credits in transfers, because they are worthless><><

THIS SCHOOL HAS OVER 30, 000 COMPLAINTS ONLINE RIGHT NOW AND MORE COMING.

GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE FIND ANOTHER SCHOOL ---IF YOU WANT TO GET YOUR DEGREE ONLINE GO TO SAINT LEO UNIVERSITY THEY ARE A 4 YEAR TRADITIONAL SCHOOL THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING!

• Ni
      May 19, 2010

Dear "Kaplan is a Ripoff",

So I went to Kaplan a long time ago, didn't graduate from there cause I decided to do the traditional school thing and I'm about to finish there. I never really looked at my Kaplan statements until now because I am going to have to start paying back my loans soon and I noticed that they took out a loan for almost $11, 000 for about a year's worth of classes. Is that normal? Did they do someting like that to you?! I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost that much for a year of school and I know I didn't get a check back or anything for the difference. I was just wondering if you have any advice as to who I should talk to, ie Kaplan's financial aid dept? or if its better to call one of the numbers you just provided? Thanks for the advice!

Nicole S

Jul 23, 2010

I am on my last term with Kaplan Univertisty and I have not had any problems. Sure it takes a while to get through to your financial aid officer, but I have had that with all three colleges I have attended. I have received my access funds one week after disbursements, and this was through three terms. Kaplan has been just as attentitive to my financial needs as any other college has been.

• Ap
      Jul 28, 2010

The financial aid department is the only department I have had any trouble with. Books always come on time, the professors are usually quite good and my academic advisor consistantly checks in to see how I'm doing. You have to remember Kaplan is a for profit company, and this means big bucks are made on the interest they can get from those government checks. This is obvious if you look at your financial aid summary. There is a date listed of when your money will be applied to your account. Unfortunately for the students this is only an approximate date. Therefore they trickle in the funds one check at a time. This often results in half the term being over before your financial aid has cleared. Yes, it is true that Kaplan has 14 days to send out a check, however, that is 14 days from the date your money has all posted to the account. That is why I am sitting here waiting for my SEOG to post 23 days after it was supposed to be applied. Kaplan is an interest mill. If there are 15 students in your class then they are receiving 60, 000 dollars a term from those 15 students. Multiply that by 40, 000 students and you've got a ton of cash. Now deposit this money in a bank and collect the interest until you have to, by law, send out a disbursement.

• Ni
      Aug 21, 2010

I agree 100% I have being going to Kaplan for one term. I keep contacting the fin aid dept. and no one will answer I am so tried of this school. I never intended to go somewhere and get ripped off so DAMN bad. The should really stop letting people enroll into this university. I talk with some many people from day to day that get refunds from other colleges & universities. Then you go to Kaplan and don't get anything what kind of system do they have. I really want to stop attending this school but I don't know how it will affect me @ another college. Also I don't even know if they would tranfer my credits. What shall I do I am @ a stand still please help someone.

• Cc
      Sep 11, 2010

OMG I have been there for 3 terms and I am still fighting with them to get my money. And they are charging me full rate instead of the military spouse rate and they say there isnt anything they can do but wait. I have tried to find any other numners to contact anyone else, I have even talked to a supervisor who lied to me and then every person I talk to tells me another story and I cant do anything about it. Im on the Pacific coast and I have to get up at 6 just to call them and I only have 2 hours to get through and talk to someone since I am not able to get off early enough to try again. Does anyone have a number that I can actually get something done?? Im at a loss but it would be nice to get that money since I am the one who has to pay it back not them so if I dont ever get that money I STILL have to pay it back. They seem to really not care I have even thought oif getting ahold of the School Board they are accredited through but I have had no success on getting that number yet. Im still trying. I want an answer as to why im not being helped or why I am not getting the money that they are sitting on and have no valid excuse on why they cant send it to me.

Sep 17, 2010

Give me your student number and email address and I will look into it for you, I am an FAO with Kaplan. We are trying to improve and are implementing more call center staff and procedures to improve. I am so sorry for your issues but I should be able to help!

Sep 17, 2010

on second thought don't give me your email on this site, just your student number and i will find you!

• Mi
      Sep 30, 2010

I am in my second academic year. I am having the same problems. My last quarter was 07/07/10 and I was suppose to get a kick back and I have called and they said it was locked in their system and they have a group working on it. THey said it would only be ten business days. everything was fixed!! WRONG! I am now in my second term that started 09/22/10 and still have not received anything but the run around. I called in yesterday to see what could be done about getting last terms money and a woman actually yelled at me. I have looked into transfering to another school and hardley any of my credits will transfer over. I have contacted everyone possible in the school to get this resolved and they are all pretty much telling me to suck it up and deal with it. I have never received a call from an academic advisor like I should have. IT has been a nightmare so far and there is not one person willing to help

• Lu
      Oct 22, 2010

Kaplan Is ridiculous when it comes to FA, My first term is nearly over and I still haven't received funds but they are quick to take tuition right after it posts. I read some bad reviews before starting there but what financial aid department doesn't have issues. I enjoy the school in every other way, however I think they should fire their financial aid staff as well as their staff in the business office for not doing their job. Every time I call I am told something else and it seems my disbursement date is pushed out a week. I am so over it, I now need to decide if I am going to quit school or just find a more honest reliable one.. I am surprised that something hasn't been done about this. There should be some guidelines put in place for disbursement. I am told it is 7 to 10 days after funds being posted, I am surprised someone hasn't came up with a class action lawsuit against this place, they do for everything else.

• Sh
      Oct 26, 2010

Kaplan's Financial Aid department is a complete joke. I finished my undergrad degree at a traditional four year university and never had a problem with the financial aid department; they were very attentive and most of all, very easy to get in touch with. I enrolled in Kaplan for my master's last year, a horrible mistake I still regret to this day, and was not impressed at all by the way the financial aid department handled my needs. I withdrew from the university within a week of starting classes because of the unprofessionalism of the financial aid department ONLY, mind you, the professor and academic advisor I was working with at the time were both very professional. Fast forward to the present, and I am now being harrassed by Sallie Mae for a $9, 000.00 student loan for 1 class that I only attended for a week! They call my home, my parents, friends, and thank GOD they don't have my work number or I'm sure they would be harrassing me there as well. I don't understand how an educational instituition as "reputable" (HA) as Kaplan can allow its students to suffer such harrasment. I have called and called the financial aid department to resolve this matter, but like many of the posters here, I too, have not been able to even get a call back. It's so laughable, the care and attentiveness that the university shows in the beginning is vastly diminished once they get done taking your money. It's wrong, and I hope someone definitely puts an end to these shady, deceitful practices soon. For all you Kaplan hopefuls, be careful!

• St
      Nov 14, 2010

I have been attending Kaplan University for three semesters now. I receive PELL grant monies as well as taking out student loans with an MPN. My total bill for the last 3 semesters is 11, 8??.00 I have not received anything monetary from Kaplan University, because I have attended a college previously I started looking into it... this is just not making any sense. I am going to call Monday, I havent so far because I really didnt know how they work. I have went on line and read up on some of the rules for PELL disimbursement, and it clearly states that the school has to pay out at least once every semester, quater, or tri-mester, Kaplan received my Pell almost 2 weeks ago, I really hope I dont run into any of this rigamore. I will definnitely let you guys know.

• Da
      Nov 18, 2010

I obtained my Associates from Kaplan in August and have re-enrolled for my BS...BIG mistake!! I sent in all my paperwork in September, it is now November, I am in week 6 of the term and they still do not even have my award letter?!!? I am SO mad! I already have almost 30k in loans from my associates and they are getting another 30k for my BS and I can't even get my little $1500 check for my STIPEND. Every time I call I get another story, a different time frame and everything else. I am so mad and want to transfer but I know I will get stuck owing tons of money to them which I refuse to pay!!! I guess I will be stuck dealing with this BS for another 2 years till I am done!! Does anyone have the # to their business office?!!? They refuse to give it to me. Nice huh!?

Nov 22, 2010

This university is crap. But I can't drop out and go to another school because I will just lose more money. I'm sick of financial aid department. Like you all have said I can never get my stipend. The one time I did get one they claim they sent me to much and $435 of that stipend was supposed to go to the next term. So I ended up having to pay that stipend like a YEAR later because that is when they notified me about the problem.
    So guess what? Today I get a call about a $410 late payment from year 2008. How can they call up 2 years later and tell you that you are late on a payment? My loans should be covering this. They are playing with peoples lives.
    But what can I do? I can't change schools because like I said I would lose credits which would cost me more, and I can't just drop out because then I would have one all that for nothing. I haven't really learned much because it is a freaking joke at what they teach.

• Tr
      Nov 22, 2010

Suggestion: before you post something, copy and paste your text into Word (or a comparable program) and check the SPELLING and grammar. If you're going to complain about the university you attend, you should at least try to sound like you attend a university (and have thus mastered the material taught in elementary sch0ol and high school). A few misspelled words can be overlooked as typos. You have more than ten. Some of them are really basic things from early elementary school - supply's instead of supplies? payed instead of paid? Seriously?

A few comments and general words of advice for the other posters (relating to the subject of the post): (1) in recent years, it has become extremely difficult to get accepted into many colleges and the majority of financial aid packages at other universities do not result in the student actually receiving money from the school, so you have to immediately wonder about the education quality and amount of tuition (which I can't seem to find, btw...nearly every other university in the country has the tuition amount on their website); (2) if you withdraw near the beginning of the term, check the refund policy - it's in their catalog (needless to say, make sure you withdraw in writing - preferably sent via registered mail); (3) the school can't steal your money - if you have proof that they've done so (and not just in error), send copies to the attorney general and the better business bureau and also call the police; (4) check the policies for withdraw-related refunds - at other colleges, you are usually only eligible for a refund if you withdraw in the first week of classes; (5) why are you people actually surprised by how much you owe after attending (whether it’s one class or an entire four years) – you do look at the loan papers before you sign them, I assume? And receive a statement? If you think it’s not worth it, it’s not going to be “more worth it” after another semester there.

• Gm
      Nov 23, 2010

All I can say is I wish I would have looked into complaints about Kaplan University before I enrolled and registered for my MBA program 2 years ago! I had no idea there were so many others out there with almost the same exact KAPLAN FINANCIAL AID OFFICE complaints. I've had more than my share of problems with that office and the academic advisors don't do anything about complaints. I NEVER receive email responses or phone calls from the FINANCIAL AID office. I attended my undergraduate college in person and completed my B.S. and NEVER had problems like this. They did not keep the STUDENT'S FINANCIAL AID FUNDS unless the student requested it and then then never kept them very long. I really didn't understand the online process and tried to give them a break many times. I at least did have a REAL FINANCIAL AID OFFICER to contact even though they change my OFFICER the next year that I was enrolled. They did keep tons of MY STUDENT LOAN FUNDS for ages and I kept asking why they weren't refunding my credit balance. Well, within the 1st year alone they were sitting on over $7, 000 CREDIT BALANCE on MY ACCOUNT and they collected interest on it the whole time. Like I said, I didn't understand how KAPLAN'S FINANCIAL AID process and I called, emailed, faxed and finally well after my first academic YEAR ended they slowly but surely sent my credit balance to me. The next year rolled along fairly well except for November of 2009 and one of my loans didn't post and after calling in attempts to get in touch with who I thought was my FINANCIAL AID officer, I was told KAPLAN WAS HAVING SOFTWARE TECHNOLOGY PROBLEMS so they had to send the issue to their "PROCESSING DEPT." meanwhile I was still getting lender statements and being charged interest the whole time for the loan. The situation didn't get resolved until JANUARY 2010!!! Now, here we are with the new DIRECT LOAN PROGRAM, and I've been calling, EMAILING AND FAXING them since AUGUST 2010 because I wanted to make sure they "PACKAGED" MY FOURTH YEAR correctly. I was told everything would be fine, loan package would be done later in that month and NOTHING WOULD CHANGE as far as disburesments, etc. YEAH RIGHT!!! Today is the LAST day of my FIRST term in my FOURTH year and they just posted my sub loan on November 15th even though DIRECT LOANS sent me an email that the loan (ACTUALLY THIRD TIME PACKAGED THIS TERM!) was approved and disbursement date was NOVEMBER 1st! I've been told so many different stories by so many different "FINANCIAL AID OFFICERS" (yeah right, I even had one tell me she was "JUST A REP!") that I could write a book. I just keep hoping and hoping and hoping eternally that they will finally get off their stupid, idiotic, immoral, lying @#!$%^^* and send me MY CREDIT BALANCE. We as students take out loans, our lenders charge "points" and then loan is reduced, then the School charges for the tuition, TECHNOLOGY fees, any books purchased via voucher, etc. then they SIT ON OUR CREDIT BALANCES FROM LOANS WE TOOK OUT AND COLLECT INTEREST IN THEIR BANK (which they state that on their FA paperwork) and I don't know how they are legally doing that!!! WHY DOES OUR GOVERNMENT WHO OVERSEES THE FEDERAL FINANCIAL AID PROGRAM let KAPLAN UNIVERISTY collect interest in LOANS WE TAKE OUT and we have to pay all that back. IT JUST SEEMS SO WRONG TO ME. I complained once to an advisor about my class and issues with financial aid and she actually PULLED ME OUT OF MY COURSE WITHOUT JUSTIFIED REASONS. I was so angry, I called, emailed etc and she finally put me back into the class and of course I was behind because I couldn't log in to the site at all. I requested a complaint form many times from my ACADEMIC ADVISOR, FINANCIAL AID "OFFICERS" and it took two months before I finally got one of the KAPLAN FA "REPS" to email me one. I'V BEEN LITERALLY SICK WITH STRESS OVER THIS and they give you no way to go beyond the person on the phone. I can barely tolerate calling them anymore for fear of the anger they cause me might cause me to have a stroke due to the high blood pressure that I get every time I call!!! At least before this year my lender CITIBANK let me have access to my financial aid loan status etc. but with the new DIRECT LOAN program you can't even do that. All they do is make sure you know how and who to PAY BACK!!! All the DIRECT LOAN program has done is send me emails when a loan package has been completed and approved by them. THE LAST TIME I CALLED THE KAPLAN FINANCIAL AID OFFICE WAS THURSDAY AND SOME GAL SAID SHE WOULD FORWARD THE ISSUE TO THE "PROCESSING DEPT" AND THAT I WOULD RECIEVE AN EMAIL WIHTIN 72 HOURS! I SAID YEAH RIGHT, THAT''S WHAT I WAS TOLD WEEKS AGO BY ANOTHER "OFFICER" AND THE "PROCESSING DEPARTMENT" NEVER SENT ME ANY THING THEN. AS OF TODAY, TUESDAY, THEY HAVE NOT AND MOST CERTAINLY WILL NOT "SEND AN EMAIL" LETTING ME KNOW THE "STATUS" OF THE ISSUE. MY MBA program is almost complete and it's too late to change universities or believe me I would!!! I just happened to do a search this a.m. to see if there were any complaints about KAPLAN AND ESPECIALLY THE FINANCIAL AID DEPARTMENT and that's how I found this thread.

Well, I hope others will do a search and read all these posts like I have and NOT ATTEND KAPLAN. There are plenty of universities out there that would gladly take on students and ALMOST CERTAINLY WOULDN'T DO THIS TO ACADEMIC STUDENTS!!!

Thank you for the threads posted here! GO FOR IT AND DON'T LET THEM KEEP DOING THIS. THERE SHOULD BE A WAY TO SHUT THEM DOWN IF THEY ARE MISHANDLING SO MANY FEDERAL STUDENT LOANS AND STUDENT ACCOUNTS!!! My "account status" has been offline for days and I know why, they are screwing around AGAIN. Especiallly aftter my last call where the rep was telling me they have "new" federal laws to comply to and I said "yes, I know YOU are suppose to follow the FEDERAL laws regulating FEDERAL financial aid. She gave me a number to call that she said is to contact "the quality assurance" department" I know what it is because another "rep" sent my call their months ago and it's basically just a survey..yeah, that's gonna get them off their [email protected]##$%^* and get MY MONEY TO ME RIGHT? Good luck to all here...

Nov 30, 2010

As I am reading through these blogs, it is as if I posted them myself! We are all saying the same thing..Kaplan, Show us the money!. It is very frustrating when speaking with their cookie cutter representatives. Oh well, I guess one day they will decide to release our funds. I have a feeling they are in trouble, and trying to buy time until things get straightened out. I have experienced this before with another college, which was shut down for fraudulent activities. God is in control, so just pray and ask HIM to release the funds from Kaplan. I will continue to monitor the blogs and see if anything has changed. When I call FA department, I am speaking for all of us, and vice versa. Thanks for your insight, and I wish you all the best. "waiting for my change to come"

• Kh
      Dec 12, 2010

Looking back, I wish that I had selected another university. I am a current student, in the honors programs, with a high GPA. Their Financial Aid department is a JOKE! The employees lack training, basic customer service skills, and common sense!! I am currently waiting on my educational expense loan. I was assured that it would be sent out by 12/10/10. When I called on that date, I was informed by one employee that I was not receiving a loan check this term because I owe them money...WRONG!! I promptly hung up and called back...the next agent informed me that my check was due to be sent out "30 days, give or take, as of December 8". They claim that one of my loans had not yet posted, yet I can look up on my financial aid summary and see where that check was received 11/18/10. I also asked to speak yo a supervisor, and was told that none were available. Are you kidding me??? This is unprofessional and unethical!!

Being a single parent, I was depending on that money to provide Christmas for my children. I am now facing having to explain to my kids that Christmas will be late this year. That does not include other bills and responsibilities that I depend on that money for. Something has to give. I put 110% into my education...it is high time that Kaplan start keeping up to their end of the bargain!

• Ds
      Dec 16, 2010

I believe Kaplan uses a quarter hour system, which means that most classes are 4 credits, whereas most other schools award 3 credits. The bottom line is that 4 Kaplan credits = 3 credits at other schools. So when you speak to a school about transfer credit, you have to realize that at most schools, an AA degree is 60 credits, so the most transfer credit you can receive towards a BA/BS degree is 60 credits. However, that is the exact same as 90 Kaplan credits. So in other words, your 90 credit Kaplan AA criminal justice degree is equivalent (basically) to a 60 credit AA criminal justice degree at any other regionally accredited university. That's why you need to be careful when you speak with other schools and discuss transfer credit. It's like comparing the metric system to the English system. Also, be careful when pricing out tuition to make sure you multiple the per credit hour fee by the proper amount of credits for a degree.

Dec 17, 2010

I have a question for everyone that has a complaint against Kaplan's Financial Aid Department. How many students or prior students will agree to add their name to a Class Action lawsuit? If we can start or agree to this lawsuit, I will talk to an attorney concerning this situation. I can't promise anything, but I will at least talk to someone. If we have to pay back thousands of dollar to receive a degree from them, they should at the very least, give us the money and on time.

Dec 17, 2010

Update on previous complaint:

I have been getting the run around from Kaplan FA Office for the past three months concerning my last stipend check. I also at that time requested to talk to a supervisor and was told someone would contact me within 72 hours. Three phone calls later (after each 72 hours had pasted), and three more requests for a supervisor, today one finally called me. To make a long story short, My last stipend check is suppose to have been sent to the Business Office yesterday, the 16th. If, and I use this word loosely, I do not receive my check within this time, I will be contacting an attorney. Maybe even if I do receive this check I can still open a lawsuit. If, for no other reason, maybe I can sue for mental cruelty and headaches.

• Me
      Dec 22, 2010

I started in March and am in my 3rd term with them. When I started they made Kaplan look like a great college and I would be recieving a 10% discount, well I am still waiting for the check from the second term discount. My 3rd term is almost over. I am recieving financial aid from the government and I am paying interest on money I am not even recieving. The direct loans send me my disclosure statements saying when they pay my college and then my college wont post the money for two weeks after they recieve it. My first term I had my money and discount by 5th week of term, now I am not recieving it til the last week if that. They first told me that they had ten days from posting date to send it out now they are saying 14 days. I specifically told them that this is money I would be living off of as I am a single mother and I would be doing school full time. I made every single person aware of this before I chose Kaplan and they assured me that I would recieve the help. I have repeatedly called financial aid. my responses are your money is pending, when it shows on my account, when I told them this they took the money off, a week later they added it on, I waiting two months with repeated lies and one officer told me there was no one to talk to about my money!! After two months I threatened a lawyer and the business office sent me an email that day saying they would have my check sent out Nov. 5th this all started Sept 28th. It is now Dec 21 and I still don't have that check. They have given me false email addresses to find out about the stipend check and they came back as invalid, they gave me a telephone number that I called for two weeks and finally someone answered and said this is not the treasury department, laughed then gave me the real number. I called that number and two days later still haven't heard back. If they really sent a check out wouldn't they be right on it if there is a missing check out there, duh. I have been lied to, misled, and really abused by this financial office. Then my academic advisor tells me not to threaten a lawyer, so there doing this on purpose is really what i am being told. How in the hell can someone tell me I really have no legal right to threaten a lawyer when they are doing all the illegal actions. I have had my phone shut off, which my parents had to turn back on, my internet is completely gone now and have to use my boyfriends and it is now 4 days before christmas and still no money. The last check i ever recieved was in september. So this college is not posting our money when they really get it from the government and they lie to you about when they are sending it out, lie to you when they tell you that you are going to get discounts so you will pick them as a college, and then tell you that if you try to do anything about it legally you will never see your money or we will make it as hard as possible for you to even get it. I am going to call a lawsuit lawyer after the holidays to see what I can do legally, because I am sorry I think everyone's issues on this board catagorizes in a lawsuit. If you are mislead to pick the college then straight out lied to so they can keep your money, and you have to pay interest on this money but lose the things this money is supposed t obe helping you pay while attending college is against the law!!

• Co
      Jan 07, 2011

Kaplan [censored]ing sucks!! you a** holes ruined my life! There is nothing good about you! you don't answer my phone calls, you tried making me pay for school WHILE i was in school, you stole my mom's identity and took out a loan in her name (coincidentally the person who did our loan and finances doesn't work there anymore...hmmm...). you guys can suck a d*ck! I've told EVERYONE i know to NOT enroll in your sorry excuse for a school!! Go to hell!! [censor]...

• Si
      Jan 07, 2011

I have a similar problem with Kaplan, While atteneding there, I was threatened by a fellow student and went directly to my program director... He didn't seem to care about the issue at hand nor did they really want to do anything about it.. Now that I am trying too enroll into another school they wont release my fininacial aid hold, and change the dam thing to say that I am no longer attending school there... SUCH BULL [censor]!!! Now they have this promise commentment thing and are trying to say that I do not fall under that because my withdraw date wasnt after they came out with it.. STUPID!!! I tried to explain that I wasn't going to attend a school where I have to watch my back, or in a hostile enviorment! and I am not going to pay for something that I was forced out of! KAPLAN COLLEGE can kiss my [censor] they are the worst school anyone can attend! and mark my words I will not be forced to pay them a single dime for any so-called education they think they provided!

Aug 08, 2011

Kaplan University's Financial Aid department is the PITS!!! They owe me money and they are BSing me about getting me my MONEY BACK!!! Everytime I call they have the same excuse - everyday I call the person is putting the ticket in. EVERYDAY yall putting the same damn ticket in???? When I owed them money- these people called my phone every single day - now they owe me money and they just keep putting a ticket in... Ridiculous.

• Sm
      Aug 27, 2011

test 123

• Ca
      Aug 09, 2012

I feel like this saying negative comments about the school is not going to resolved anyone issue in thats the case if you say it such a bad school you could have did your research before attending that would of saved you enough time and effort instead of pounding the keyboard on how bad this school is really is i mean idk much about kaplan because i just recently started but they have been cool with me so far but my advice if kaplan such a fraud school then sue them thats how i feel about it

• Ca
      Aug 09, 2012

I feel like this if kaplan is such a bad school then why not sue ? you should of did your research first before wasting your time and energy im not saying this havent happen to anyone is true but instead of pounding your keys about how this school sucks go to the state sue them whatever you have to do to make this right because obviously kaplan still have student enrolled still making there money so i just recently been in kaplan for a month i havent recieved any problem such far but all im saying do your research first about a school becaused you might not approved how their system work get it together people like seriously it a way to resolve a issue.

• Sg
      Nov 07, 2012

So far i haven't had any issues with kaplan. My first advisor Kafka was very helpful with registering with kaplan. Even when they gave me a new advisor i still can call kafka and get the help I need. My other advisor has called and sent me emails checking in on me. My FAFSA and student loans just posted today they say that at max it'll take 10days before my stipened check is mailed to me from Georgia. So I am patiently waiting. Hopefully it will be here before the holiday week but we will see.

• Tr
      Dec 01, 2012

I just enrolled there 3 days ago should I be worry about my refund check

• Mo
      Jul 17, 2013

Well, I enrolled in Kaplan for the May 15 term of this year(2013). I called financial aid after the "free period" was over to see if I had been packaged yet. Of course, I had not. Two more weeks is their favorite statement. After calling every day at one point to see what the problem was with financial aid, I was told I could not get packaged because the DOE was reporting delinquent on student loans. To rectify this, I was told to call the DOE and resolve the delinquency, and then obtain a "default clearance letter". I immediately called the DOE. They do not service my loans anymore, and have no information. NELNET does. I called NELNET. Resolved the delinquency. I asked for the default clearance letter and was told they do not have such a thing. I went online to NELNET'S self service portal, and printed a current status letter, which showed ALL loans as current. I downloaded the form and uploaded it to my student portal, courtesy copied my advisor, and saved a copy to my computer. I called Kaplan back the same day, told them what I did, and what I uploaded. This college is a fine example of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing. I was told it would take TWO WEEKS for the verifications department to verify and then my aid could be packaged. Called back in two weeks. I was told it would be ANOTHER TWO WEEKS, as the verifications team was behind. During my wait, I received an email from a fictitous individual stating I needed to obtain a default clearance letter, or else I would owe Kaplan an insane amount of money.
    I replied to the email, and attached the letter I got from NELNET, and explained that the DOE doesn't service my loans anymore and has no information. She did not seem to get this. When I called to speak with her, she was "out of the office" the first time, and "not present on the inner office messaging system" the 2nd time. I received a reply from the fictitous individual, again reiterating that I needed to call the DOE and get the DCL, and nothing else would suffice.
    I called the FA office again. Spoke with verifications. They said what I sent should suffice, but the fictitous individual had placed several holds on my account so they cant verify or package it until those holds are removed. I sent a not so nice email to the fictitous individual and requested the holds be removed, advised the DOE cannot provide me any such letter because they dont have my loan records anymore, attached what I got from NELNET, and told her that the FA office said it should suffice.
    Called again to the FA office. The lady I spoke with looked me up in the National STudent loan database and verified that I was clear. Captured a screen shot, and copied what I had uploaded weeks before, and sent it all to verifications, after SHE removed the holds placed by the mystery person.
    TWO WEEKS later, I receive an award letter. I called to ask when I could anticipate a stipend check. They told me TWO WEEKS. I called again because nothing was happening, TWO MORE WEEKS. I received recently a disclosure statement regarding my loans. I assumed they had disbursed based on that. Called FA office. Loans were requested, and scheduled to disburse on 7/2/13. Called 7/3 asked why they hadnt. I was told that I did not have a promissory note on file, and it would be TWO MORE WEEKS. I told them to check it again, because my PMN was completed and approved on 4/22/13, three weeks before school even started. Called again on 7.12. Student account website showed pending disbursement since 7/2. Was advised TWO MORE WEEKS from 7/2 until 7/16 per the DOE website. I was accused of calling them liars. Well, if it talks like a duck, walks like a duck, its a duck, unless you're OBAMA, then its not a spending problem.
    Loans and grant posted 7/16. This marks the FIRST TIME EVER, something happened the way KAPLAN SAID IT WOULD. Asked about a stipend check. They checked my Credit Balance Agreement Form, and noted that it said I wanted it, which is true. I was told two weeks from date of disbursement, which was 7.16.13. Note thats calendar days not business days. They said they typically mail checks during the first week, and I will know its been sent when there is a dollar figure in the category "refund to student". So far there is nothing, but we will see. I am not getting my hopes up. TWO WEEKS is their favorite statement.