Kaplan University Financial Aid Department / laon disperments

6301 kaplan University Ave.Ft Lauderdale, FL, United States Review updated:
3.4
Phone: 1-866-458-2008
I have sent out a Educational Expense Application back in 07/08/08. Everyday I try to talk to my financial aid officer about why I haven't gotten a dispersment after my books and tuition is payed and she keeps telling me that the Home Office has to approve it and now the date is 11/04/08. It has been two terms and I still have not recieved anything and they keep telling me the same thing over and over. They keep telling me that it will take a week or two to go through and when I do call after a couple of weeks still the same exuse. I am so fed up with it. I am battling cancer, I am a single mom and I'm going to this school. They don't care about us, and who is to say that when they tell us that they are doing everything that they can they really are. I'm not there to hold their hand and make sure they are dong their job. I'm tired of being screwd and I'm still at the bottom of the hole with them. I wish some one out there can help me with this problem. I can't work because of my cancer so what am I suppose to do about my school supply's. Isn't that what the pell grant is for? I hope to God that someone will do something about the mess they are causing in innocent peoples lives.

Comments

Ma
  1st of Dec, 2008
I completely agree with you! I am going through the exact same thing. They are telling me the same thing and it is RIDICULOUS! I too am a single mother; I have two children and am currently out of work. I don't know who to call or what to do. My financial aid advisor is an ### and says the same damn thing to me every time. If you found a way to get around this let me know.
Margaret
Bo
  15th of Mar, 2009
All of a sudden all the students in one class got an F for their grade, I know that I did much better than this as many others.

By giving a person an F they know your financial aid is cut off and guess what we the student has to foot the bill not to mention
The University keeps the money and you the student gets nothing.

I say the rules need to change to protect the student and that all money should go to the student and not the school or University.
Jo
  19th of May, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Kaplan's Financial Aid office does not seem to be there to help the students rather than seeking a profit. The employees that work there seem insensitive. They don't follow the guidelines in disbursing Financial Aid because there is no agency to make sure they follow the guidelines. The whole system is a failure.

The student is the ultimate ones taking out loans and will be the sole ones responsible for the debt yet an irresponsible department like the Financial aid office controls when the student receives the funds. It is not the lender but the school. Most schools set up direct deposit accounts or disburse the funds to the students bank not some school account they own after Tuition and fees are paid. Schools are not suppose to hold on to that money because the loan for for cost and attendance not just tuition and fees. Kaplan in effect is setting students up for failure. There ought to be some Federal Guidelines policing schools such as kaplan but they are more concerned about the borrower. Kaplan is not distributing funds in good faith.
Fu
  1st of Oct, 2009
I too am a student at Kaplan. I am so tired of getting the message "your financial aid officer is not available, please hold to be connected to the next available financial aid officer." you hold for an hour, and you NEVER get to speak to anyone!!! I have requested my educational expense funds, and still have not received them. The school screwed up my pell grant, now they are telling me that I can't continue with classes!!! This is so bull ###!!! Something needs to happen, but who can you talk to? All you ever get it somebody's voice mail...
~Very Frustrated ~ Atlanta, Georgia
Mi
  14th of Oct, 2009
I have been attending Kaplan since Dec 2007 and I agree completely. Now I have had 2 FAO and both of them suck! they do not responde to email/voicemails. I have called/emailed the supervisor/manager and he too never response. I was told by my academic advisor to contact the complaint ombudsman. When I get the contact info Ill fwd it on. Good luck!
Ye
  31st of Oct, 2009
I've done a little research on my own and the Office of the Provost, Dr. David Clinefelter, is responsible for overseeing the actions of the financial aid office. If someone can get a number or an email address for him so that we can contact him directly, then the financial aid office would be held more accountable for their mistakes and lack of professional courtesy.
Rd
  4th of Dec, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have been dealing with Kaplan's lack of responsiblity in the financial aid department for several months. I am a graduate student and carry a 4.0. Every other part of my education is fine, but this department has serious errors. I was first told that they weren't getting the funds from direct loans for my Educational Expenses. Then, someone admitted that they had the money, but their system was screwed up and wasn't paying out the money, thus an internal problem. I've experienced the same phone call and email avoidance. I'm not sure how true it is, but I was told by a friend at another institution that they school has 14 days from the time of receiving the funds to disburse them. Can anyone verify if this is true?
Bo
  8th of Dec, 2009
I dont know what is going on with the way their fin aid dept works, but i find myself instead of owing for just 2 classes i took in one semester--something like $7500!!!

Im outraged. Have any of your problems been given attention by those crooks some? Are any of you going legal on this one or thinking about it, maybe we can arrange for a global suit!!?

TY for sharing, there are kind of crooked, ain't they now?
Ms
  30th of Dec, 2009
I've been with Kaplan for one term. I did have an issue with them concerning the disbursement. I've been waiting for it for longer then I should. I've waited for more then half of the term! That shouldn't be happening!
If any of you know.. how can I find out if they paid the correct amount for my disbursement?

I'm enrolled with Kaplan for an AA in criminal justice degree. I was calling around to see what school to attend to get my BA after I graduate from Kaplan. I found out that American Public University will only except 60 credits out of 90 completed credits!!! Where does the 30 credits go!? Can someone explain? I don't know if I should continue with Kaplan now. I will loose 30 credits for which I will have to pay! It does not make any sense to me. Also, I will not be receiving any disbursements for the next two terms because I am taking 3 classes this coming term instead of only 2. Is that how it should work? Please explain somebody...

Thank you...
  5th of May, 2010
DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT GO TO KAPLAN THEY WILL STEAL YOUR DISBURSEMENT MONEY PERIOD!
How do they do it? Well first off many people who attend college are not aware of the monies that should be sent to them, so they say nothing and Kaplan figures if they don't know about it they will keep it. If a person does know they are to get something, but isn't sure how to figure it up then Kaplan will send a small percentage of what is owed to the student and keep the rest.
However, those who do know exactly what we should receive back get put off and put off until we are at our boiling point. I have been going through this crap with them for over 4 months! Still getting the run around. The law is that they have to send you your money within 14 business days of the time that the government loan is dispersed to the school. You can call them directly and ask when they sent it to the school. Do not go along with the financial aid information given to you on their website it is a load of crap. They put on there what ever they want.
CONTACT THE OMSBUDSMANS OFFICE FOR SCHOOL COMPLIANCE WITH THE GOVERNMENT. They are in-charge of what happens to the monies that are dispursed from the govt and the rules that each school has to adhere by. Here is their website http://www.ombudsman.ed.gov/about/contactus.html and there is their number 1-877-557-2575
Also FILE A COMPLAINT ONLINE TO THE OIG OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL HERE https://wdcrobcolp01.ed.gov/CFAPPS/OIG/englishhotlineform.cfm
NEXT FILE A BBB (BETTER BUSINESS COMPLAINT) HERE http://www.seflorida.bbb.org/ComplaintDetail.aspx?CompanyID=9636
DON'T SIT BACK AND WAIT FOR THEM YOU WILL NEVER GET ANYTHING FROM KAPLAN.

<><><>By the way most companies do not consider their degree's to be anything but a waste of paper, most won't accept it for employment><><><
><><>Also most traditional schools will not accept Kaplan credits in transfers, because they are worthless><><

THIS SCHOOL HAS OVER 30, 000 COMPLAINTS ONLINE RIGHT NOW AND MORE COMING.

GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE FIND ANOTHER SCHOOL ---IF YOU WANT TO GET YOUR DEGREE ONLINE GO TO SAINT LEO UNIVERSITY THEY ARE A 4 YEAR TRADITIONAL SCHOOL THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING!
Ni
  19th of May, 2010
Dear "Kaplan is a Ripoff",

So I went to Kaplan a long time ago, didn't graduate from there cause I decided to do the traditional school thing and I'm about to finish there. I never really looked at my Kaplan statements until now because I am going to have to start paying back my loans soon and I noticed that they took out a loan for almost $11, 000 for about a year's worth of classes. Is that normal? Did they do someting like that to you?! I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost that much for a year of school and I know I didn't get a check back or anything for the difference. I was just wondering if you have any advice as to who I should talk to, ie Kaplan's financial aid dept? or if its better to call one of the numbers you just provided? Thanks for the advice!

Nicole S
Ch
  23rd of Jul, 2010
I am on my last term with Kaplan Univertisty and I have not had any problems. Sure it takes a while to get through to your financial aid officer, but I have had that with all three colleges I have attended. I have received my access funds one week after disbursements, and this was through three terms. Kaplan has been just as attentitive to my financial needs as any other college has been.
Ap
  28th of Jul, 2010
The financial aid department is the only department I have had any trouble with. Books always come on time, the professors are usually quite good and my academic advisor consistantly checks in to see how I'm doing. You have to remember Kaplan is a for profit company, and this means big bucks are made on the interest they can get from those government checks. This is obvious if you look at your financial aid summary. There is a date listed of when your money will be applied to your account. Unfortunately for the students this is only an approximate date. Therefore they trickle in the funds one check at a time. This often results in half the term being over before your financial aid has cleared. Yes, it is true that Kaplan has 14 days to send out a check, however, that is 14 days from the date your money has all posted to the account. That is why I am sitting here waiting for my SEOG to post 23 days after it was supposed to be applied. Kaplan is an interest mill. If there are 15 students in your class then they are receiving 60, 000 dollars a term from those 15 students. Multiply that by 40, 000 students and you've got a ton of cash. Now deposit this money in a bank and collect the interest until you have to, by law, send out a disbursement.
Ni
  21st of Aug, 2010
I agree 100% I have being going to Kaplan for one term. I keep contacting the fin aid dept. and no one will answer I am so tried of this school. I never intended to go somewhere and get ripped off so DAMN bad. The should really stop letting people enroll into this university. I talk with some many people from day to day that get refunds from other colleges & universities. Then you go to Kaplan and don't get anything what kind of system do they have. I really want to stop attending this school but I don't know how it will affect me @ another college. Also I don't even know if they would tranfer my credits. What shall I do I am @ a stand still please help someone.
Cc
  11th of Sep, 2010
OMG I have been there for 3 terms and I am still fighting with them to get my money. And they are charging me full rate instead of the military spouse rate and they say there isnt anything they can do but wait. I have tried to find any other numners to contact anyone else, I have even talked to a supervisor who lied to me and then every person I talk to tells me another story and I cant do anything about it. Im on the Pacific coast and I have to get up at 6 just to call them and I only have 2 hours to get through and talk to someone since I am not able to get off early enough to try again. Does anyone have a number that I can actually get something done?? Im at a loss but it would be nice to get that money since I am the one who has to pay it back not them so if I dont ever get that money I STILL have to pay it back. They seem to really not care I have even thought oif getting ahold of the School Board they are accredited through but I have had no success on getting that number yet. Im still trying. I want an answer as to why im not being helped or why I am not getting the money that they are sitting on and have no valid excuse on why they cant send it to me.
  17th of Sep, 2010
Give me your student number and email address and I will look into it for you, I am an FAO with Kaplan. We are trying to improve and are implementing more call center staff and procedures to improve. I am so sorry for your issues but I should be able to help!
  17th of Sep, 2010
on second thought don't give me your email on this site, just your student number and i will find you!
Mi
  30th of Sep, 2010
I am in my second academic year. I am having the same problems. My last quarter was 07/07/10 and I was suppose to get a kick back and I have called and they said it was locked in their system and they have a group working on it. THey said it would only be ten business days. everything was fixed!! WRONG! I am now in my second term that started 09/22/10 and still have not received anything but the run around. I called in yesterday to see what could be done about getting last terms money and a woman actually yelled at me. I have looked into transfering to another school and hardley any of my credits will transfer over. I have contacted everyone possible in the school to get this resolved and they are all pretty much telling me to suck it up and deal with it. I have never received a call from an academic advisor like I should have. IT has been a nightmare so far and there is not one person willing to help
Lu
  22nd of Oct, 2010
Kaplan Is ridiculous when it comes to FA, My first term is nearly over and I still haven't received funds but they are quick to take tuition right after it posts. I read some bad reviews before starting there but what financial aid department doesn't have issues. I enjoy the school in every other way, however I think they should fire their financial aid staff as well as their staff in the business office for not doing their job. Every time I call I am told something else and it seems my disbursement date is pushed out a week. I am so over it, I now need to decide if I am going to quit school or just find a more honest reliable one.. I am surprised that something hasn't been done about this. There should be some guidelines put in place for disbursement. I am told it is 7 to 10 days after funds being posted, I am surprised someone hasn't came up with a class action lawsuit against this place, they do for everything else.
Sh
  26th of Oct, 2010
Kaplan's Financial Aid department is a complete joke. I finished my undergrad degree at a traditional four year university and never had a problem with the financial aid department; they were very attentive and most of all, very easy to get in touch with. I enrolled in Kaplan for my master's last year, a horrible mistake I still regret to this day, and was not impressed at all by the way the financial aid department handled my needs. I withdrew from the university within a week of starting classes because of the unprofessionalism of the financial aid department ONLY, mind you, the professor and academic advisor I was working with at the time were both very professional. Fast forward to the present, and I am now being harrassed by Sallie Mae for a $9, 000.00 student loan for 1 class that I only attended for a week! They call my home, my parents, friends, and thank GOD they don't have my work number or I'm sure they would be harrassing me there as well. I don't understand how an educational instituition as "reputable" (HA) as Kaplan can allow its students to suffer such harrasment. I have called and called the financial aid department to resolve this matter, but like many of the posters here, I too, have not been able to even get a call back. It's so laughable, the care and attentiveness that the university shows in the beginning is vastly diminished once they get done taking your money. It's wrong, and I hope someone definitely puts an end to these shady, deceitful practices soon. For all you Kaplan hopefuls, be careful!

Kaplan University Logo Kaplan University