[Resolved] JustAnswer.com / online scam

United States Review updated:

JustAnswer says that they provide experts all over there site. They even claim on there site that 'Distinct from other answer sites on the web, our Experts are actually doctors, auto mechanics, veterinarians, CPAs, teachers, computer Experts, etc.'

This is an out and out lie to deceive people into paying money for questionable advice. JustAnswer does not ever certify that a so-called 'Expert' has any training in ANYTHING. There terms of service states,

'No Assurances Given From and No Reliance on Term 'Expert' Throughout this Site, certain terms, including 'Expert', 'Specialist', 'Consultant' or 'Advisor' may be used to refer to someone who claims to have certain knowledge, background or experience that may be useful in responding to a question posed by a user. Use of such terms provides no assurance that the person answering your question has any expertise or qualifications to give such advice. You acknowledge that JustAnswer has not and cannot independently verify their qualifications. If you do not like any answer for any reason, your sole remedy is to disregard the answer and not pay for it. Notwithstanding the foregoing, JustAnswer reserves the right, but is not obligated, to remove any content that it believes violates any of these Terms, including, without limitation, any objectionable or personally identifiable information.'

They hide this in the middle of about 5 pages of legal ease. But all over their site they claim that 'their experts' can answer your questions, even stating, 'our Experts are actually doctors, auto mechanics, veterinarians, CPAs.'

More than likely that MD who is answering your question about your childs sickness, or CPA about your sensitive tax info, is an out of work cab driver from Yonkers, sitting in his underwear at 3am, 'googling' some so-called 'expert' answers.

JustAnswer.com doesn't have ANY oversight of their 'Experts' yet makes people believe than they do. Shame on them. Don't give them any of your hard earned money.

Andy Kurtzig, their founder and CEO is a scammer for perpetrating this deception and other posts all over the internet confirm this.

• Resolution statement

• JustAnswer Customer Care's Response, Dec 07, 2010

Dear (username),

I’m very sorry to hear about your experience. I’m Adam and I work for JA. I have sent you a private message so I can look into your account immediately.

All of the Experts on the site have had their credentials verified through third party verification services. I'm sorry to hear that the situation that you had did not work out as ideally as we would have hoped. I would be happy to review the account and the chat log to see what the issue may have been.

You may reach us anytime through the Contact Us link on our Help page. Our Customer Support team is available 24/7 to help.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do. We’re here to help and we’ll work with you until you’re satisfied.

- Adam

Da

Comments

• Al
      Jan 07, 2009

Hi Danny

I'm a fully qualified uk registered gas fitter, plumber and electrician.

I have taken over 20 years to attain my qualifications in these two trades. I have trained 4 apprentices and have a good reputation.

I work for justanswer in their plumbing, electrical and HVAC sections serving any UK questions in my field when I have a few spare moments .

When I applied to become an ' expert' ( not a term I would have chosen but this IS after all an american site!!) I was asked what education, training, experience and qualifications I hold.

I then had to answer some fairly in depth and searching questions on my chosen vocation and was accepted.

Initially I could only answer a limited number of questions in a set period of time and these were monitored by existing 'experts' (god I hate that word...everyday is a school day and the man who terms himself an expert has stopped learning, closed his mind to others and will soon be left by the wayside) My payments initally were very, very low for accepted answers and I had to work my way through 4 stages, constantly being monitored by my peers.

Yes you could probably scam the answers to the entry questions but your lack of knowledge will soon be discovered and your position at Justanswer rescinded permanently.

Yes some people do get through the selection that shouldnt and some answers given can be wrong. But these scammers are always discovered given the peer pressure amongst the other 'experts' and moderators.

It is only advice that is given, I am not contracted to stand in front of the boiler and fix it, however knowledge is an interesting power and has saved many of my clients being scammed by unscrupulous plumbers when they find one to do the work.

Try it and see

Alex Hewitt

Safecert.co.uk

It is and will be increasingly a good online asset for many people.

• Ke
      Dec 18, 2017

@alex hewitt playing field fair

February 19, 2013

Dear professionals,

We write you today in response to reports of professionals using "scripts" to automatically lock questions.

We want to make clear how using scripts can get you removed from the site, as well as compromise your personal information. We regret that such actions were confirmed on our site, and we look forward to creating and maintaining a fair environment with your help.

Recent actions

The JustAnswer and Pearl.com team has been committed to tracking the problem and eliminating it. We have researched the problem and developed the technology to identify professionals using a script or program to automatically lock questions.

You should understand, as noted below and as explicitly stated in the Expert Agreement, using any program to unfairly manipulate our site is forbidden and may result in removal from all categories without redress.

By agreeing to this Expert Agreement and completing the online registration process, you are agreeing that:
    (g) You will not use any automated programs to automatically lock questions that are posted on the website.
    We have taken swift action and removed 26 professionals who had been practicing scripting.

We will continue to run testing at differing intervals and with different methodologies to catch professionals using an automated program or script.

Jan 15, 2009

While many people on this site have been very helpful and give excellent answers, this ### named Ms Chase has no business posing as an 'expert'. She has no formal training---she might as well be a radio talk show host. This expert is a scammer and completely unqualified. I would not recommend anyone accepting answers from her at all.

• La
      Jan 22, 2009

I was JA for only a few weeks. Here is what I have found wrong as an expert (and yes, my skills ARE real .. I could prove it but they never asked).

1. They do NOT allow you independence when asking how much money you can earn for something. YOU .. the expert ... have to go THROUGH a JA moderator who will THEN contact the customer who will THEN decide if they want to pay you more and you may or may not hear anything back .. kinda like a big circle. Imagine being an "expert" and you can't even ask for how much YOU want. They are afraid of chasing customers off. Well, those customers won't be around when the answers are crap for very long.

2. The writers ... STAY AWAY ... you will spend COUNTLESS hours writing an answer (no, a paper) for people who want their homework done for them .. and want to pay you ZIP! JA gets up to 50% of the pay. Now then, if you are being offered $20 to write a three page paper, research it, do APA style to it, reference page ... that' s gonna take you a good hour to 1.5 hours. Now then... JA gets 50% of that. So now you is at ten bucks (grammar error intentional there). So you just work a good hour to 1.5 hours researching, wracking your brain for creative writing, outlining, drafting, revising as customer sees fit ... and you get TEN DOLLARS!!! Whopee - don't spend it all at one place.

I saw one person the other day who wants to pay $40 for a four page, intensive, research paper. Someone could easily spend 3 hours on it due the level of research.

The short answers are great - easy in easy out and a few quick sentences. Five minutes or so. But that does NOT exist in the WRITING portion.

The WRITING answers are a nightmare ... and you get ZIP for doing it. You will soon find that someone wants you to be their "go to" homework person and be totally creative and come up with all the work and research... and JA sits back too ... and YOU, well.. You work.

Now... go get your ten bucks!

• Ke
      Dec 18, 2017

@Laura Customer: replied 1 month ago.
    Hi billy! great to hear from you again. that dog picture is a dead give-a-way. as always I really appreciate your quick response to my questions.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/hvac/9dmkg-all-troubleshooting-beacon-morris-tubular-gas.html#ixzz3tp0voamr

By the way, using animals as your avatar as billy is against to toa.
    Several experts avatars are european actors if you image search them with tineye.

Old experts sign up for new accounts using an ip swapping web page or manually change their ip, appear to be someone new,
    You can make unlimited accounts to ask questions then rate badly for any or no reason, it counts regardless of how obvious it is.
    The old experts warn, threaten new experts who better answer questions and begin getting more $ so they are sabotaged.

Billy's shill, stat padding account, greg, is an alleged home inspector, who asks how old a unit is every single time!,
    He never catches on as to how to decipher the numbers.
    All his questions are to billy & all are rated excellent.
    Greg's account is using a subscription, which is against the toa regarding a professionals use of a subscription.
    Greg's business is listed many times in various professions, one address is a dilapidated strip mall for a po box.
    It's blatant, he uses fake accounts for stat padding his billy account!
    It's also how billy damages new experts, it's easy & free to ruin a new experts % rating,

Billy openly abuses the peer review process, it's no secret among experts.

• Fo
      Feb 10, 2009

"I recently presented a question regarding a personal problem on justanswer.com. I received a response from an IDIOT named Ms Chase. This person is clearly out of touch with reality and gave me no practical advice whatsoever. Because I was inexperienced with the website, I accepted her answer and was charged for this.

While many people on this site have been very helpful and give excellent answers, this ### named Ms Chase has no business posing as an 'expert'. She has no formal training---she might as well be a radio talk show host. This expert is a scammer and completely unqualified. I would not recommend anyone accepting answers from her at al"

She is now a horrible moderator, who is accusatory, incentive, and as you said, ###ic. I think they fabricated a reason to kick me out (that I was giving better advice than most 'legal' experts and respected bar rules), this despite them taking 50 percent of what I got from customers, and 75 percent of bonuses, not to mention their advertising income. Better services can be found at better places, such as www.liveperson.com and www.keen.com, and www.avvo.com. They don't rip their customers or their 'experts' off. And they're headed for a malpractice suit soon! It's illegal to call yourself an expert in an area of the law in California unless properly credentialed, so they misrepresent most of the people who give them 'advice.' Most of whom are more interested in writing as many answers as possible, even if they give horribly wrong advice. And if you try to correct it, even though you know the information is blatantly incorrect and coming from a non-lawyer, you get reprimanded.

Not worth it. ###ing scam, and will be happy to represent people in a class action against the ###.

• Fo
      Feb 10, 2009

I agree with the user! They're a scam, the ABA will refer to actual 'experts'--licensed to practice in your state and not laid off paralegals in England answering California specific questions, and then try to screw experts out of the 50 percent they graciously give them when they do jack ###.

• Ri
      Feb 10, 2009

Who is Janet Wilson. I am suppose to get in contact with her because you have my money but I can't get it unless I provide $830.00 security and processing fees. My e-mail is [protected]@sbcglobal.net

• Al
      Apr 07, 2009

There is a screening process for their experts, and I can guarantee (at least in the automotive section), there's very little googling (or plagiarism) other than to find wiring diagrams and photographs. There are real experts such as myself -- and I can verify that -- on the site, and most have upwards of 15 years experience in their fields, and I'm sure every one of us could use that little bit of extra income.

Customers: If you don't like your Expert's answer to your question, you don't pay. Simple as that.

Experts: You don't have to answer every question on the site. There's absolutely no sense spending 4 hours on something that pays you $10, so don't answer the questions that you know will take 4 hours.

I wonder if I can sign up to be an Expert in Common Sense... sheesh!

• Ju
      Apr 29, 2009

I agreed to pay $9.00 for a medical opinion and was charged twice on my credit card on 4-28-09. I demand a refund of the second charge immediately. contact me at 817-899-5671 !!!

• Ex
      May 16, 2009

I am a Board Certified avian veterinarian and just started answering questions for JA. They took 2 days to verify my veterinary license via the state examining board and then doublechecked my specialty certification via the specialty certifying board. The site does have at least one certified expert, not only did I complete a residency and pass the specialty certifying process, I also have 15 years in the field.

Good advice about not wasting excessive time answering difficult questions. I think 5 minutes is sufficient, though at this point I'm spending about 10 to 12 minutes per question. I hope this will speed up with time so it is worth it for me to continue helping people via this forum.

• Em
      Jun 07, 2009

Complete Rubbish! I have just used the forum for the first time and was pleased to have my problem diagnosed with tenacity and dedication by the expert so that I can obtain the relevant component. I paid the expert £8 bonus. The process will save me at least £50. Highly recommended to all.

• Bi
    San Francisco
    California
    Phone: (415) 480-2121
    justanswer.com

I recently upgraded to the 3.5 version of the Mozilla Firefox web browser. Upon using it, the "right click" copy-paste-etc. function on the Firefox web pages was disabled. I paid the JA! scam the $9 fee via PayPal, and the grossly stupid answer they sent me was to restore my computer to the previous operating state, which would have deleted Firefox version 3.5.

If I consulted an 8-year-old pseudo PC Guru, I would have expected a goofy non-responsive answer like the above. As it happens, my son is a PC Guru and he fixed the 'no right-click' problem in about a minute when he got home.

In my humble opinion, Just Answer! is a just a San Frillysissyco, Kaliphonya online SCAM..!!!

Caveat Emptor,

John

• Gr
      Jul 13, 2009

I paid £11 for a veterinary Answer but JustAnswer took two payments from my bank account. The web site leads you all over the place on refunds and provides an email address for requesting them that doesn't accept emails.

• Cv
      Jul 20, 2009

I am a state licensed and nationally certified veterinary technician who has been working on Justanswer for over a year now and I can say with absolutely no reservations that they do, in fact, verify the credentials for their experts.

When I joined the site I had to follow the 'prove it or lose it' rule at JA which means I had to have the state board that gave me my CVT license contact JA to verify that I did, in fact, have my certification.

It sounds to me like the original poster of this complaint may not have read things as completely as they'd like us to believe.

• St
      Jul 20, 2009

I tried to get some info on my car's brake problem, and all I got was a guy that kept asking me more questions, and taking a long time to do so, and then never told me a solution, yet I was still charged the 9 bucks... I thought I had to approve this. I received no e-mails or anything to approve anything.

• Mi
      Jul 24, 2009

I used to work for so called justanswer.com and it is by far a scam. You only get 25% to answer the questions. I am a ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN and make alot more then 2.25 to answer in depth automotive questions. Most of the Experts are fake and just sell you alldatpro.com information which is illegal. The doctors and stuff also most likely are fake because my mother is a doctor and she said you cant answer these questions online its against practice. So dont use the site the boss Tammy also is a scam artist. So when you think your paying an expert your not you are giving your hard earned money to the site not the expert the expert gets pennys.

• Ar
      Aug 13, 2009

JustAnswer as far as I am concerned is a scam. I had a problem with my computer and asked them for advice on how to put it right, for which they would have charged me £8 IF their answer was correct AND I ACCEPTED IT. Meanwhile before they gave an answer the money had to be placed with Pay Pal. It was not correct and I did not accept it.

Within hours of contacting them my computer's motherboard failed. It has now been replaced and the machine works perfectly. They could not possibly have provided an answer to my original system malfunction problem any more than I or anyone else could have done.

Their moneyback guarantee is worthless as, in answer to my requests for its return, I am simply passed to yet another "expert" who states that he/she will go to work on my problem. What problem? There is no problem now and no thanks to them. I just want my money back and look very unlikely to get it.

I might add that since my original enquiry I have cancelled my credit card and the bank has issued a new one so that there is now no chance of it's misuse.

My advice to anyone contemplating using them for whatever query is not to do so under any circumstances.

• Da
      Aug 14, 2009

Its Sunday afternoon, and you have a legal filing that you have to make on Monday, worth $thousands, and your $300/hr attorney never called you back on Friday! Who you gonna call? It's panic time; you've got to show up in court with the right documents. Well... I called JustAnswer... and got TERRIFIC and fast and correct legal advice! And for $40... plus a little bonus that I added later.
    What a great service!

Aug 30, 2009

I'm an expert in the homework section, and I have a PhD in English literature and many years' experience as a graduate teaching assistant and private tutor. JustAnswer actually had to verify my education through LexisNexis, which I had to pay $12 (to LexisNexis) for. (Once your education/certification(s)/etc. is verified by LexisNexis, JustAnswer reimburses you the money.) I believe that's pretty universal for all the catogories of experts on the site.

• Ni
      Sep 14, 2009

I worked for Just Answer until they cut me off the middle of this month, I refused to give my SSN and birthdate (pronounced identity) to these people...Lexis Nexis cannot be trusted with vital information like your personal identity, This is just my opinion of c0urse...but the data breaches are many

Funny thing is, I had a perfect 100% satisfaction and was got the customers choice award for my efforts...and just because I asked for alternate ways to prove my credentials, I got canned.

• So
      Sep 20, 2009

This site does not give refunds if not fully satisfied with your answer.

and the expert i had did not give me a thoroughly enough solution for 13 dollars.

cmon now. i would not pay any one for not having taken a foot in my car.

i would rather much pay 50 bucks for some one to have actually poped their head inside the car.

Just answer is not a great solution !!!

• Si
      Oct 09, 2009

I am new(August) to justanswer.com . I believe I have been given some good advice and not always in my favor. How is it possible to state what attorney/doctor and his/her name, picture if that's not who's answering your question? Also, if this is a fraud, why isn't a class action suit been filed?

• Be
    brpnx
    New York
    Phone: 718-563-6065
    [protected]@optimum.net

I was charged twice for medical information I received on "JustAnswerExpertHelp", on 10/20/2009.

• Dr
      Oct 31, 2009

I am surprised how wrong people can be.
    FYI
    Recently, Just Answer has performed a credential check of all experts through a dependable third party corporate agency andc I can vouch for their professionalism, . I am a MD working with JA part time and I know how authentic their services are.
    Forget about credentials, just have a look at their services and you will know for yourself.
    You would pay 5-10 times more for answers from specialists like this.

Dive.

• Sh
      Nov 08, 2009

I was terribly disappointed with justanswer.com - not only did they NOT fully answer my question after 2 tries (I don't think they actually read my question to be sure) - but they said I wouldn't have to pay if I wasn't satisified..well I wasn't and guess what? They still charged my credit card - SCAM SCAM SCAM! Don't use them.

• Be
      Nov 18, 2009

I have used just answer for some of my home work advice and the answers
    i have received has been correct.
    so correct that I have received an A for my work
    and there was a time when I paid for an answer
    and the page did not open, JA gave me a refund.
    I do not see the problem here.

• Mo
      Nov 23, 2009

I asked a question on this website and agreed to pay 18.00 I thought that was all they were going to charge my debit card but they charged $34.00. I wrote to them requesting a credit of 16.00 to my account and wonder if they will in fact return this money to my account. I won't get sucked into this type of scam anymore, that is for Sure!

• Br
      Nov 23, 2009

file a complaint online with the Federal Trade Commissioner.

• Mk
      Nov 25, 2009

File a response with the BBB of SF (where they are based). They DO pay attention to this

Dec 03, 2009

Unfortuately, I got trapped in one of these scams. I was asking about a Motorola product, and about half way through, they asked for my credit card, etc. When I tried to close this on my computer, it would not leave my screen.

Can anyone tell me how to remove this.

Dec 12, 2009

I asked a question, and the money I nominated was promptly removed from my account, but I have not had a response at all to my question and now any request for a refund means paying again. Definitely not a reputable site!

• Je
      Jan 06, 2010

JUST ANSWERS.
    THEY HAVE MY DEBIT CARD DETAILS NOW.
    TOOK THE MONEY FROM MY ACCOUNT.
    HOW DO I STOP ANY MORE MONEY BEING TAKEN PLEASE?

I FEEL SICK ABOUT THIS.
    I AM 78 YEARS OLD AND NOT TERRIBLY WELL OFF.
    BUT MY MAIN CONCERN IS TO STOP ANY MORE MONEY BEING TAKEN OUT.

WHAT SWINES.
    [protected]@aol.com

• Sc
      Jan 17, 2010

This site bills itslef as an online "expert"...but all they really do is collect a "deposit" before you get any response...they even advertise you will get faster service if you make a "deposit"...but never really answer any inquiries that I've had. i would gladly pay for their service if it was real...but does not appear to be so. I submitted an inquiry for "free'...and was told an "expert" would reply within 10 minutes. After several hour and even sending an email to customer service which claims available 24/7/365...never received any responses from anyone...save your money.

• Ru
      Jan 17, 2010

I am an ASE Certified Master Auto Mechanic . I stumbled onto justanswer and began reading some of the Auto questions and the so-called experts answers ….
    After reading them, I realized that it did seem like a good concept and thought I could become one of the experts and get paid to help people out .

I had to pay to have my credentials checked, take a test for the vehicles that I was applying to be an expert on and after passing the test was allowed to start answering questions .

I answered questions if I knew the answer and could explain it to the person asking it . Some of the tests and procedures were quite lengthy and I broke it down to make it simple to follow, after the repairs were complete, the car was fixed and the customer was happy they could pay me through justanswer . After justanswer took their percentage of the payment, I got what was left . It was fun and I was helping people keep their cars working, and I was making a little money too then I was terminated for no reason and without warning . I have tried to contact justanswer and get no response from them, I had open questions and people looking to me for help with their cars, but I cannot even contact them .

I have yet to receive any money from justanswer nor any responses to why I was terminated, so maybe it is a SCAM . They take money but don’t give it back, then leave the customers hanging …. They take 75% of the agreed value of the question as a new expert and 50% after you have more accepts, they also take a percentage of the bonus the customer pays . You would think that the bonus for an in-depth well explained procedure for testing and fixing your car would go to the expert/mechanic but no they get a cut, for what?

I would be willing to prove to them that I know cars and would go up against ANY of their so called experts but they won't let me .

The pay scale was never explained to me until I had already paid my fee to have my credentials verified, but I was only an expert for 2 weeks and made my money back by then, supposedly that is ( I haven't seen it yet ) I am supposed to have it transferred to my paypal account by the 4th business day of the following month .

They have mentors that are here to help customers and experts work out any difficulty's in communication or testing procedures but they will not respond either .

• Pa
      Jan 18, 2010

Does anyone have a phone number for these people?

• Pm
      Jan 30, 2010

Just read the grammer in some of these posts used by some of the so-called Ph.D's and MD's who worked for JA. It appears as though some (barely) high-school kid composed them as rebuttals to the complaints.
    I cancelled my account before I selected any payment method and then they sent me an email with my user name AND PASSWORD in it!! That is the BIGGEST MISTAKE any "secure" website can make.
    Perhaps some problems are resolved here, but...
    STAY AWAY from this site.

• Li
      Feb 02, 2010
    Justanswer.com - Wrong information but still charged
    Justanswer.com
    New York

Justanswer.com was a total rip - off. We wrote about needing a new clothes dryer belt, and the "expert" responded that it probably was a pulley, not the belt. That didn't make sense given the noise of the squealing belt that we'd been hearing. So the next day we opened up the dryer - - and there was the belt lying on the bottom, broken. There wasn't anything wrong with the pulleys. We bought a belt locally and fixed it ourselves for $22. Still, justanswer charged us $12. 60 - - for worse than nothing!!

• Ba
      Feb 03, 2010

I contacted JustAnswer with a question about my cat that was suffering from an illness. The vet they gave me was thorough and the advice was correct. She even recommended some supplements to further help my cat. I contacted my vet to ask about the supplements and was told that they are very good and would definitely help her.

I am extremely pleased with JustAnswer.

• Su
      Feb 05, 2010

This site should be taken down. I was lucky! It only cost me £20 to find out. It is nevertheless quite well crafted. They keep you on the hook just long enough to give you to hope that this is a legitimate cheap helpline and I would probably have spent more money had they continued to supply carrots. Fortunately for me, Christmas/New year intervened, and they gave up the thread, probably to catch up on new queeries which have put higher money down under the deposit scheme. This crowd stinks and I could kick myself for failing to smell it at the beginning.

• Ji
      Feb 07, 2010

I was seeking computer parts to put my home network into the electrical system. The expert referred me to a company and i was not able to purchase anything from them. I went back and complained ad then purchased what I needed from Amazon.com I want the charge for the answer reversed on my account.

Feb 09, 2010

I got a great answer to my question in the second e-mail that's better the even Microsoft or expensive programs. Sure can't go wrong there.

People a critical because the answer they got wasn't what they wanted to hear. It's that simple, let's grow up shall we.