Jo Ann Fabrics / rude employee

Jo Ann Fabrics
1704 Broadway
Phone: (308) 635-1086
I went into Jo Ann Fabrics today 4/27/09 @3:30 p.m. in Scottsbluff Nebraska. I had my two daughters with me. They are 2 and 6 years of age. After looking at patters for about 45 minutes my two year old needed to use the restroom. I politely asked if my daughter could use the bathroom. She very rudely told me that I could go across the street to use theirs. I said " please she's only two, and I don't think that she could hold it." The clerk then said "I told you we have no restroom!" I then told her that I had been in there before and the other clerks had let me. She said that they had merchandise back there, and there was only two of them in the store, and she could not go back there to watch me. I think that it is also important to know that there was only one other customer in the store. I told her that I thought she was being redicolous, and really rude. Her next excuse was that their bathroom was not handicap excessible. She said "if a handicap person were to come in and see that my daughter had used the bathroom they would get sued." I shop at Jo Ann's quite frequently because they have the best selection in town. I never go in there for the customer service. It is no secret that they are the rudest old ladies in town. I am very saddend that our society has come to this. We are a small town, it's just too bad that the small town atmosphere is not there in your store.

A  24th of Oct, 2009 by
I had an almost identical experience wherein the employee directed me to take my 3 year old son to the dollar store next store. She stated that that particular store didn't like them sending people over to use their restroom so i should pretend to shop and THEN ask to use it. Totally blew me away.
N  10th of Feb, 2010 by
Chances are, they could have managed to let your child use the restroom under those circumstances, but please keep these things in mind. First of all, the rule about having someone in the stockroom when someone needs to use a non-public restroom is for your protection. Merchandise back there may not be stocked in a stable manner and some of it is quite high, so they need to have someone with you in the event something falls. Also, at a different store I worked at I caught someone who was "trying to find the bathroom" in the stockroom and informed them that the store actually had a public restroom. After the person left we discovered that another associate's wallet was stolen (and people do use their children to help with some of these scams). It is unfortunate that the bad behavior costs everyone else, but in this case the best thing I can suggest is to lobby the corporate headquarters for a public restroom. If you get enough people to tell them they need one they might have to consider it.

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores Logo Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores