Jetstar Check-in, Uluru / baggage issue

1 Australia Review updated:

During a visit to Melbourne, we bought a pair of toy handcuffs at Melbourne Gaol for my son's 9th Birthday. We flew to Uluru, where we celebrated his birthday and he loved his present. On our return, the toy handcuffs were confiscated by security as they were deemed to be a restraint. The only suggestion they would make was to check the toy handcuffs on as excess baggage.

On visiting the Jetstar desk, I was told that I would be charged $60 to check on the toy handcuff (they cost $10).

At this point my son was inconsolable but I was not prepared to pay $60 to put such a tiny item on the plane.

I am so disappointed by the complete rigidity and mean-spiritedness of the Jetstar staff in this situation, not to say money-grabbing ethos that they seemed he'll-bent on honoring.

It is situations such as this that give a company a very bad name and I hope that you will find some way to appease my dismay with Jetstar. All the staff I spoke to accepted how ridiculous this matter was but none were prepared to think of a way to solve the problem, other than demanding $60.

Jo
Jul 20, 2018

Comments

• Ca
      20th of Jul, 2018

Are you kidding? These are rules for Safety. There are specific rules in place, banning weapons, etc. You should have read their rules, before you do stupid things like buy something like that for your kid. You should have known.

WHAT WAS IN YOUR HEAD AT THE TIME?
    You didn't think that maaaaaaybe an airport might not accept these on a plane?

How entitled are you? YOU bought a replica toy for your kid, that was not allowed on a plane, (DUH!?), and now you are acting like a whiny [censored] because you are being forced to check it/chuck it?

Give me a break.

When you remember the tears of that, 'inconsolable, ' 9 year old... Remember why he is crying: Dad's stupidity.