ING Direct / Terrible customer service!

I opened this account by mail about a month ago. I called today to inquire about my PIN as it hadn't arrived. The "security" guy asked me a series of questions. He told me that my home address didn't match up--that it came back under someone else's name. Well, I hold the title, I own the house. After a few back and fourths, he became very rude and threatened to cancel my account. I asked to speak to his supervisor--he told me she'd be in "sometime next week."

This is exactly the kind of horror story we hear about Internet banking. It's like 3 college guys run this place out of their basement. Well, he did end up canceling my account and hanging up on me. I called back only to be told that my account was canceled. How do i get my $$ out? Well, that's another department.

Folks, save yourself the time, money and frustration and find a bricks and mortar Credit Union. You will earn about the same interest and be treated that much more politely.

If Ing Direct isn't a scam, then it's borderline fraud. Stay away from them.

Comments

• Su
      25th of Sep, 2007

WOW Thank you for taking the time to complain. You just saved me a bundle. I was just about to sign up because I keep getting these mail pieces that tell me there is nothing better than the account. I thought I would do some research and found very little regarding consumer reviews.

I appreciate your comments!

• Ni
      12th of Nov, 2007

I have been w/ ING for over 3 years now and have never had any problems. I have never had to contact their customer service department, except for when I had a simple question regarding a transfer; I was helped promptly, courteously, and my question was resolved. They offer higher than the average APY and I think they are great!

• Gr
      15th of Jan, 2008

I've had an ING account for 6 years and I have encouraged others to open accounts. ING has paid me a lot of money in interest over those 6 years. I have always been satisfied with their service and watched as their security measures became tighter and tighter. They are definitely not a scam or a fraud.

• Ka
      9th of Oct, 2008

Horrible experience with ING STAY AWAY ... after opening an acct had trouble with my pin and called then I answered a bunch of questions and was told they would send a pin...never did I called again was told they cancelled the acct for Fraud ????? When I questioned this they would not give me any info...would only say that they acct was still open but I would not have access and when they decide to close it they will transfer my money within 10 days or longer I had to really push and insist they close it that day so I could see the money in 10days..we'll see...this place is a rip off STAY AWAY FROM ING

• Sp
      21st of Mar, 2009

I would totally agree with Jon Garza and Kay Scannell about the kind of ruthless attitude and service ING Direct offers to it's customers. They not only closed my account but also would not give any reason when requested. Infact they even went one step further by saying they would not honor my request to open a new account with them anytime in future and hung up on me.

All this, only perhaps for one reason that I would not agree to give answers to some very personal questions the "security" guy asked me when my address did not match while requesting for a new PIN. I was not so comfortable to this "third party security guy" and hesitated to give details he asked me to. Now a couple times I called in to check what exactly went wrong, they would hung up on me in less than one minute saying the account is closed.

I am clueless about whether my decision to not give out personal information could really cost me like that ? Certainly not happy with these guys, shame !

• Ab
      28th of Sep, 2010

the complaint i have is logon my computer was running slow so i restored it the way it came out of the box now i have a problem to restore it so i can logon to veiw my accounts i do call they give me a temp. password follow what they send me still cannot logon i am being blocked the only thing i have is windows firewall before i cleaned up my computer i could logon i dont know what to do if i logo with a new password it comes back locked out i dont think that this blog is for what i am writing about then again u never know i like the paper statements better or that i am computer dumb maybe someone out here on this blog knows i will check back to see if i get a answer to fix this thank alot jackie from new york city