IKEA / rude customer service

I purchased a bunk bed from IKEA. During assembly, I noticed that two parts were defective. The holes on these parts were not drilled all the way through, so it was an obvious manufacturing defect. I drove to the store for the second time. After waiting in line for more than half an hour, I was given two replacement parts. I went back and tried to finish the assembly, but I found out that the parts I were given were incorrect, the hole locations did not match. I drove back to the store for the third time and asked for replacement parts with the correct hole locations. The customer service person asked for my driver's license. When I asked why they need my license (looks like they wanted to scan the info) they said this is the "policy for returns and exchanges". When I tried to point out that this is not a discretionary return or exchange, and I am simply trying to get replacements for defective (or incorrect) parts, the response I got was "This is our policy. If you don't like it, I will have to ask you to leave the premises immediately".

I don't think asking for driver's license (and not to just look at it to confirm the identity of the customer, but to scan information from it into a database, which would probably go to a company like TRE) to replace a defective or incorrect part is acceptable policy for any store that respects the customer.

Pa

Comments

• Po
      8th of Nov, 2010

That might be the proper way of looking up your Ikea account so that they can get you the right pieces.