Iberia Airlines / Stolen checked bag content

I flew from Atlanta - Miami - Madrid - Gran Canaria on 5/26/08. Upon arrival at the Atlanta airport, the AA agent (I flew on AA from ATLMIA)informed me that my bags (6 of them)would be checked all the way to my final destination in Las Palmas Gran Canaria on IB. When I arrived in LPA on 5/27/08, not one of my checked bags had made it in. As a result, I filed a lost baggage form with the IB agent. That night, I received a call from the local IB baggage office in LPA. The agent (I must say was extremely nice and helpful) informed me that IB had located 4-of-6 bags at the MIA airport. For some reason, AA did not transfer my bags to IB in the time required to make the conncections. He also added, that he would work with IB in MIA to locate the other 2 missing bags.

Again, that night, I received a second call telling me that the two additional bags were found. I was told that all the bags were enroute to MAD and they would arrive at LPA on IB834 on 5/28/08. On 5/28/08, I met IB834 MADLPA and in the process of getting my bags, I noticed that the largest piece I had checked seemed very flat. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the TSA approved lock was cut. Upon lifting the bag, I noticed that it seemed light. Once I opened the bag I noticed that about 80% of the content checked were missing.

Needless to say, I felt totally confused, humiliated and angry about the whole situation. The local LPA IB personnel seemed in disbilief and very apologetic. Because some the items taken were very personal (e.g. underwear, electric shaver and socks)IB gave me a care kit to make due and provided phone and fax numbers for their main customer care office in Madrid. Currently, I've sent a fax to IB main office in Madrid Spain detailing all the missing items with corresponding value. I've yet to receive any responses but I'm hopeful the proper compensation can be made asap.

By the way, the IB Reservations agents have told me there is nothing they can do to help me in tracking my complain from the US. Basically, I must continue dealing with their main offices in Madrid which mean that I would have to pay for long distance calls. Please, I would appreciate hearing from anyone that may have experienced similar situations.

Va

Comments

6th of Oct, 2009

I'm very confused at this as my suitcase was just missing on my flight from Madrid to Miami a couple of days ago. So far can't find it. It's very frustrating... not sure if it's IBERIA or the personnel @ Miami airport. I already submit a list of contents and I'm getting nervous that they couldnt be there if my suitcase is found. Will give you feedback immediately. The problem is that Iberia only has 2 flight arriving @ Miami and after 4-5 pm everybody is gone for the day so there's no help at all at that time.

12th of Nov, 2009

My flight from Mia was cancelled after standing on line for 5 hours without a word from anyone as to the reason. I missed two days of my cruise on Royal Caribbean as I was rerouted to Naples, Italy (originally from Barcelona) I had to pay for a taxi to cruise line (50 Euros) and also had to get a hotel room until my cruise arrived the next morning.(65 Euros) No one in Italy spoke English. It was extremely difficult as I was traveling alone. The personnel at Iberia was ill equipped to handle this suitation. Since the only office is in Spain, I don't think I have a chance of getting reimbursed. I also did not get my luggage in Mia at the end of my flight. Itjust arrived today. I'm probably lucky nothing was taken. It was the most stressful experience I have ever had.