Hyundai / Getz / paint

1 Turkey Review updated:

2006 model is my car. Currently in the 31, 000 km.serious paint problems.I refer to the service.They said to me (hyundai service): birds that did!.. are kidding me! I will apply to the court. I'm so sorry. Because my (of poor quality) cheap-hyundai vehicle.

Hyundai / Getz

Comments

• Ze
      28th of Feb, 2010

Automotive painting is a science.

A typical finish consists of four layers:
    1) electrocoat - provides corrosion protection
    2) primer - protects electrocoat, stone chip resistance, adhesion
    between basecoat and elctrocoat
    3) basecoat - provides color to the vehicle
    4) clearcoat - sunlight protection, scratch resistance, gloss
    and appearance properties

Film thickness is a criteria used by the auto industry to ensure durability.

Each of the 4 layers must be at the proper film thickness specification.

If any of the individual layers is below specification. The vehicle would
    be considered a factory paint defect.

A visible manifestation of low film thickness is paint peeling, body rusting and stone chipping.

Since the mid 1990s the auto industry while retaining ownership of the paint facilities have outsourced
    the process and quality responsibilities to multiple paint suppliers.

Outsourcing in this application is defined as a process in which a company
    assigns its in-house operations to a third party.

Specifics on automotive paint suppliers roles within the facilities may be found in textbooks published
    both in Europe and America. The most recent textbook being released in 2008.

The paint suppliers actively market and advertise their outsourcing expertise with terms such as
    "Cost Per Unit" or "Pay As Painted" supplier programs. Outsourcing [Cost Per Unit] programs are
    common throughout Europe and America within the auto industry.

Not all vehicle flaws are associated with the paint itself, vehicle design and weathering will
    impact the vehicle's finish.

It is our opinion that the automaker, auto dealer and consumer should not receive a vehicle painted
    below the automaker's film thickness specifications of any of the four layers that comprise a vehicle's finish.

Low film thickness will cause paint failures.

A quick internet search for the following:

Toyota Paint Problems, Toyota Paint Peeling
    Ford Paint Problems, Ford Paint Peeling
    GM Paint Problems, GM Paint Peeling
    Chrysler Paint Problems, Chrysler Paint Peeling
    Honda Paint Problems, Honda Paint Peeling
    Nissan Paint Problems, Nissan Paint Peeling

will return results back in the millions.

Public Interest best served by a "Truth in Finish Disclosure"
    with the purchase of any vehicle.

• Mo
      20th of Jun, 2012

I can't believe I can't find more about this issue, I know three people who have the same issue with 2006 white Sonata's..paint is peeling like paper!

• Ka
      17th of Aug, 2012

I have a 2008 Santa fe with the same problem peeling paint. I was told by the dealership that it was from rocks. Funny i don't see any other makes with this issue with paint peeling off and i"m prettys sure they have had their share of rocks dinging the cars

• Em
      29th of Aug, 2012

The e coat was not applied proplerly.

• Pa
      13th of Jun, 2014

My 2007 White Hyundai Sante Fe is totally chipping on the roof. Not sure what to do.

• Tb
      8th of Jul, 2014

My 2009 white Hyundai Santa Fe has a terrible problem with paint peeling on the front edge of the hood and the roof. It doesn't not look like the paint was applied correctly. I have seen other white Santa Fe cars with the same problem.

• Mi
      2nd of Aug, 2014

I have a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe with terrible peeling paint. I was told by my local dealership that it is the pearl white color that is a defective paint. Hyundai has repeatedly denied my request to fix their defect!! Is there a class action suit I could join??

• Ga
      9th of Aug, 2014

My 2008 Santa Fe lost a quarter size chunk of paint on the roof when I was spraying it off with the hose. They said the paint job is only under warranty for 3 years or 36, 000 miles. They should be embarrassed by such a poor warranty. I have never had an automobile to lose paint like this, period!

That will be my last Hyundai!

31st of Aug, 2014

My 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe with pearl white paint is completely chipped around the windshield and is now rusting. Hyundai has also denied my claim multiple times and now the paint is out of warranty. They told me that I drive to fast. There must be a class action suit somewhere involving the paint.

• Ly
      9th of Sep, 2014

I have a 2010 Sonata and the paint is peeling off the roof and hood. It is crazy! I have a 2000 Blazer that has almost 300000 miles on it and the paint is still in mint condition! I feel like there should be some kind of recall on these to fix this paint!

• Al
      1st of Oct, 2014

I have a 2010 Sonata and the paint is peeling off the hood, the top and the trunk. This is horrible! It started after 35, 000 miles and now at 87, 000 the spots are larger than baseballs. Hyundai has a real problem with this. I have a 2003 Chevy Avalanche with 244, 000 and it's been in a couple of hail-storms and it's paint jobs still looks great. Love the Sonata, but will never buy another.

16th of Jan, 2015

My 2007 Sonata Limited has the same issue. First I thought it was hail damage but the upgrade pearl white paint is bubbling on hood, bumpers and roof. I just got an estimate to repair for over $1000. I was informed the vehicle was not primed properly and that is the problem. This started about 3 years ago and I found nothing to assist me then, and apparently nothing out there to help now with this situation. If that's the case, I will never buy another Hyundai and I'll shout off rooftops to not invest in this product. Ridiculous!

• 01
      30th of Jan, 2015

I'm also having problems with my 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe with the paint chipping/pealing off the hood in numerous spots and two places on the roof right were it meets the windshield. It started as just a small little place, then within a few months there were a dozen small places starting and now collectively about 25% of the hood is down to the metal and still spreading. I took it to two different dealerships who both said it must have been caused by rocks. I argued I would have heard or seen a rock large enough to do that much damage and they said it must have been a very small rock. My reply to that was if it was so small that I couldn't hear or see it, it should not have been able to do so much damage. I had my insurance adjuster look at it who says it is absolutely a defect in the paint and to try to pursue it with Hyundai. I am very discouraged!

• Bl
      25th of Feb, 2015

I have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe where the paint has peeled off on the hood and the roof of the vehicle, I was told by a local body shop that this is a manufacturers defect but Hyundai will do nothing to fix it... I've owned several other vehicles Honda, VW, Chevy and Toyota none of which have ever had this issue. Its embarrassing and should not be fixed at the cost of the owner especially since with all the posts on the internet there is obviously a problem. I will never purchase a Hyundai again and am looking to trade the vehicle in now.

• Pe
      13th of Mar, 2015

I have a 2009 Santa Fe. The paint is peeling off on the hood, roof and along side of the front windshield. The paint started peeling off after going though a very heavy rain storm. I feel the paint job was not done properly.

• So
      16th of Mar, 2015

I have a 2010 Sonata with the same paint issue. Started at roofline along windshield...a small place. It is almost as if the windshield fluid spray caused the initial paint loss. Now paint has peeled all the way across the front of the roof. The hood is peeling now. about a fourth of the hood paint has peeled. It is the pearl white paint. A friend who built cars for GM and did paint and body work on the side says it is a factory issue. The primer was not prepared properly. Am going to talk with Hyndai before I have him repair the paint for me. I feel certain Hyndai will deny any responsibility. The only hope is a class action. Not sure how that would be organized.

24th of Mar, 2015

I have a white 2009 Santa Fe. it has extensive paint peeling on the hood and roof. Took it back to the dealer and they told me I was out of luck because the paint warranty expires at 3000 miles 42000 miles. took it to to collision specialist to both said the car was not primed properly prior to painting. both specialist suggested I contact Hyundai to see if there is a recall. To Date there is not. cost to fix the damage exceeds $7000. today I sent a letter with pictures. hopefully Monday will step up and correct the problem. if not I will have a car without paint.

• Ju
      30th of Mar, 2015

My 2006 Sonota has paint chipping on hood and roof also... I only have 63000 miles on it . I took it to the dealer while under warranty ... They kept it two weeks and didn't do one thing to it...I had to take it anyway as I had to go out of town. Ridiculous that this is happening to all these cars. Bad advertisement for them when everyone sees the paint peeling on these cars...

• Ag
      3rd of Apr, 2015

2008 Santa Fe Pearl white. Same thing. Peeling on center of hood and around the windshield/roof. Told the rock theory by dealer, too. Class action anyone?

21st of Apr, 2015

I have a 2009 Pearl White Santa Fe with the same paint issues. I first noticed it three months after the 3yr warranty and was told by a paint and body shop (not affiliated with Hyundai) that the car was not primed properly. The paint starts to show small bubbles which eventually break/pop exposing the base metal. When I found the issue in 2012 it was only happening on the hood, roof and tailgate. Hyundai agreed it was a paint issue and repainted those surfaces, but only those surfaces. Now, 1 1/2 yrs later I am seeing the same issue on all four doors and so far Hyundai is refusing to take care of it.