Hughesnet / inconsistent or no service

1 19 Riverview White Heath, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 217-687-4446

Inconsistent or no service. I am not getting what has been promised or advertised by Hughes net. I have been a customer with this company when it was formally known as Direcway and there were problems on occasion, but nothing near what I am experiencing now. I recently upgraded to a new modem with the promise from this company that I would have faster speeds and better performance from the Satellite internet service they offer. To get the new modem, I was required to either pay for the modem up front or sign a 2 year contract. Since I have no other option for Internet service other than dial up and I need the speed to upload photographs I sell, I opted for the 2 year contract.

Since that time my service has degraded and I have called in for technical support at least 1 to 2 times per week since august. I have jumped through all the hoops to eliminate the possiblity of a problem with equipment on my side. Since I am very skilled in electronics I have built and fixed many computer systems and I am certain that the problem is on the Hughes net side. Its very ironic that everytime I call in that my service improves shortly afterward.

I would like to cancel my contract but I am stuck with a $300 cancellation fee if I cancel before July of 2010. I am exploring the possibility of canceling anyway and taking my chances in court. I am printing records from the Hughesnet website that do show very degraded service so I can present them to a judge.

Some one needs to step in and force Hughesnet to provide the service it advertises nationally to its customers.

Comments

• Ti
      30th of Oct, 2008

While I don't disagree about your complaint with HughesNet, I don't see what you'd gain by taking them to court. You'd have to spend more than the $300 cancellation fee to hire a lawyer, file the papers in court, etc.

• Pe
      2nd of Jun, 2009

This is EXACTLY what happened to us!! And, we had direcway for YEARS without any real complaints. I have seen this all over the internet.

Not only did we upgrade the modem, we upgraded to a bigger plan too, so we could have even more speed and limits. HA! We have less now than we ever did, and they will not allow you to re-commission the old modem!

I think the FCC should look into them saying they can provide these services when they obvious cannot handle the clients they have.

They seem to cycle the service down to areas at different times for a short while, and then POOF your equipment is mysteriously fixed again (since they keep saying it has to be the equipment). They are not suppose to restrict you, if you do not go over the FAP!

It's ridiculous. But, they get away with it, because those who do have their service - generally cannot get anything else. So, it's take it or leave it. But, it shouldn't be legal.

I hope you do have the means to sue them. I wish you ALL the luck you can imagine!!