Hughesnet / no upgrade notice! hughes.net management sucks!

Since hughes bought direcway my download speeds have fluctuated between good (1,000 + KBPS) to "worse than dial-up"(6 KBPS).

Recently, technical support (a 1+hour adventure every time) seems to indicate that the only solution to my problem is to upgrade my modem. Fair enough - except that "Why do I have to suffer ### performance" for 6 moths before I am told the only resolution to my problem is that I need to upgrade?

Why did they not tell me a year ago (+/-) that the modem I am using its going to be "end-of-lifed" soon. Instead, after ### performance for 6 months, multiple calls to technical support they let a service technician tell me that the only what to get promised performance is to upgrade my modem.

Bottom-line is hughesnet management sucks. The minute that ANY other high speed service is available in my area I will switch. Verizon is about to offer DSL to my area. All I have to say is good bye hughesnet - hello Verizon!

Comments

28th of Apr, 2007

Hey guy its not your equipment you are getting "FAP" that means once you get close you your allocated download limit there system drastically restricts your down load speed like mine normal download is about 700kbs once you get flapped it drops to 6kbs and will stay that way for 24 hours now since April 13th...

Im probably getting rid of hughesnet next month go with someone else....

4th of May, 2007

I have had Direcway/HughesNet for 5 years in my office and it has always worked fine. Maybe your installation has a problem or you are downloading to the extent that you exceed the "FAP" and they throttle you back. By the way, all satellite providers have an FAP policy. If you think HughesNet is bad, then try Wildblue. I did for a while. It didn't work out at all. No satellite provider is going to be like DSL, Cable Etc. but if you have to do satellite like I do HughesNet for me has had a very good track record. I have been very pleased with it and I use it about 10 hours a day in my work. Thanks.

• Mi
      12th of Jul, 2007

I have them, i just got them, and i had no idea they were like this.
    I had no idea how the FAP bullcrap worked until i got it, its not worth having.
    At this point i do not want money from them, but i do not want to pay them, i want them to come back take the equipment away and just leave me alone, thats all i want, but now i am being told by them(HughesNet) that if i cancel i will owe them 400$ i simply can not spare.

My only corse of action is to cancle my bank account so they can not take money from it, then call them and cancel, at which point their will be no money for them to snatch from me.
    I will get them their equipment back, and i will never have anything to do with them again.

• Cr
      20th of Jan, 2008

I just received my Hughes Net almost 2 weeks ago, and I just realized how much it sucked in that length of time. I called last night to disconnect the service and they told me that I had to pay them $447.00 before they could completely disconnect the service. They told me they had to have that much because of the equipment installation and for the equipment itself, but when the installer came here and installed it we had to pay him $180.00 before he would do anything and when I mentioned that to them last night they acted like that was what he charged to do that if that's the case he gets payed from them and the customers also. They never told me anything about a fair access policy when I signed up for it, they also told me that if I decided that I didn't want it that I had 30 days to send it back and nothing would be charged but I when I called to disconnect they wanted to charge me that much money they tried to charge me for a full month and I didn't even use it maybe 3 times out of the 2 weeks that I had it that it worked properly. I told them last night that they would get there equipment back and that would be the end of it cause I was going to talk to a lawyer and I am i'm gonna see what they can do about those people. I told them they couldn't do people that way and they can't and i'm gonna see to it. I did find another satellite internet company that is great it's called SKYWAY USA they are great they sell you the equipment and you install it yourself so you don't have to worry about paying for installation charges cause you do it all, all you do after you get it installed is call them and they set your computer up for you and your ready to go. There packages start at $29.95 monthly and go up to $79.95 and that's half the price as hughes and they are 3 times as fast as hughes and they also allow you from 12 midnight till 6 am to download whatever you want and it don't count against your usages. There equipment warehouse is in Jackson, Kentucky so you don't have to deal with foren people they are american and you can understand them. There number is 1-866-697-5992 or (606) 666-8881 call them and talk to them they are really nice people.

All they require is you pay for the system up front and they give you the $100.00 rebate form when you get your equipment.

• Ke
      29th of Jan, 2008

We should start a class action suit on hughes they don't tell us anything about a FAP of any kind till after you pay out all the money to get the eqipment and install it.
    It really sucks for the money they charge monthly it should be unlimeted. The problem is they don't buy limet the banwith they buy and charge way to much monthly I have the pro plus and only get 425mb a day for 79.00 a month. if there was anything avalable in my area other than dail up I would cancle my hughes account. I wouldn't recomend this to anyone that had any other option.
    not to mention if you have to call for support you have a one hour wait time and when you get to talk to someone good luck understanding them they connect you to arabia or some where.
    SUCKS REAL BAD DON'T GO WITH HUGHES ONLY AS A LAST RESORT!!!!!!!!!!!

• Tg
      28th of Feb, 2008

Hughes.net is absolutely bottom of the barrel in service and they are so over priced it is not funny!! They are THIEVES and the service is abysmal at best! I would encourage EVERYONE that can switch, to tell hughes to take a hike. I would also tell anyone even remotely considering the worst company on the planet to run the other way! Even Consumer Reports in a few issues back gave them the worst ratings on ALL points, that is ALL of the criteria they failed miserably. Hughes is the ONLY company I have ever seen get solid black marks on every level! They ste4al your money, they give zero customer service and their internet speed is little more than glorified dial up for 5 times the price! They know they have rural customers over a barrel because other fast services do not service the area, but in some cases with hughes, you would be better off with a pigeon carrying your emails to a fro!

• Ji
      8th of Mar, 2008

I subscribed to HN because I have no alternative for internet access and I use the internet for school, banking and correspondence. I was never told about the FAP until 3 days after I started using HN. At times the speed is as slow as, if not slower, then dial-up...when it works. Half the time the service just shuts off and I have to restart...other times the "web acceleration" or "TCP status" is in limp mode, like some version of idle. It does not matter what the weather conditions are at any time. I have emailed CS and went to chat...no help. I seriously have no other means to access my business - and at 500.00 installation and 60.00 a month, outrageous. I had Yahoo DSL for 2 years...15.00 a month, no installation fees and unlimited D/L ability. I lost their service 1 time due to an upgrade...that's it. I will NOT recommend HN to anyone and will in fact discourage it unless, like me, they have no alternative. As soon as DSL becomes available out here, I'm done with HN...it's a ripoff.

• Al
      26th of Mar, 2008

There are no lies in the complaints above. I was actually just surfing (at work because it is faster) looking for ways to speed up the hughes connection we have at home. I tried sending emails last night and after waiting 45 minutes for them to send, I logged off and went to bed. Hughes is expensive for the service you get. And the FAP is a thorn. Why pay this much money and have to throttle how much you use the 'net? We have to alternate nights in the house because if we all get on, we FAP. We used to have the business edition, but it is no better than the standard package. We try to use it for work, but VPN is near impossible or deadly slow. I agree that when it was DirecWay, it was much better and we were much happier then. Calling customer support is a joke, 1-2 hours at least - they always want to blame you, your set up, your computer, your equipment or your cookies! One of our neighbors has a petition to the local DSL company to run service out to our homes, but do not think that will go anywhere as there are just not enough homes to make it "worth while" for them. We have tried dial up, but our rural phone lines have a hard time getting a good connection.

One of these days, the dish will make a nice planter ... if I don't destroy it first out of frustration!

Something has to be done .. cannot believe a company can stay in business providing service like this. Would that be acceptable in your job? Not mine ...

• Ah
      10th of Jul, 2008

My inlaws have had HN at their ranch for over a year now and I am always hearing from them that it is really slow. I did some research and tried to figure out what could make it so slow. They had AOL dialup before HN and were somewhat satisfied. From my research I figured out that there is a sizable lag from the time you interact with you computer and when the headend back down on earth will start to send data back your way. So that could be part of the frustration that is being experienced. Everytime I am out there I run speed tests from different places and most of the time get 3-4 time dialup speeds. I know that the speedtests are not completely accurate because they are mostly optimized for cable and dsl connections. I think they understand this, but most of what they are doing is in small bursts that take way too long with HN. If you are downloading a large file you don't really notice the lag because it only happens at the begining of the interaction.

Here is the real kicker that prompted me to complain here and anywhere else that I could. I like to vent I guess. A month ago, HN sent an email to my mother-in-law for an upgrade of the modem installed. So she called them and got the new modem on its way and signed up for 2 more yrs of service.

The modem came and this last Tuesday I was out there to install it.

The modem was "connected" okay and I installed the CD on the computer. I started the registration process and ran into a failed registration. I did all the things techie ppl do and it still failed. So I called HN support and got a lady in India. She was to say the least, very hard to understand. She bumbled around and tried to give me some setting for the latitude and such and verified some other things then had me check the signal strength. Well it was saying strength of 15 out of 100. I was on the phone with her for 45 minutes before she gave up and shot me to "advanced' tech support. Well at least this level seems to speak English. This guy was really not interested in helping much. He gave me a few more setting to try then told me that a service person would have to come out and there would be a trip charge. I got a little hot over this one and asked to speak to someone that might care. He told me after another 30 minutes, I could call sales and talk to them. I told him there is no reason that the old modem should work and the new one wouldn't unless the modem was faulty. He assured me that if the modem was faulty I would not have gotten as far as I did with the setup. So I told him I wanted to connect the old modem and have him stay on the line until it was working as before. We did that. I called sales today and got a very nice young lady that must have been in training. She had to verify with her supervisor everytime I asked for something to be done or had a question that she didn't immediatly understand or know. So I went down the path of not wanting to pay for a service person to come out to install the modem when I had already tried. She really could not understand that it was not a physical problem with the modem install versus the configuration information that I was being given that was not working. So HN would not budge on this one. They finally told me that the new modem would only work with the new satellites and had to be installed in conjunction with a dish repoint. Well that makes sense. Why didn't that get announced somewhere during the upgrade discussion. So my next thought is whether I needed to really go to the new modem. I asked that question and after a long consultation with the supervisor I was told no. Then I asked about whether I need to send back the new modem. The first answer was yes if you are under a committment. Well a new 24 mo commitment is part of the upgrade so I asked it HN would pay for us to send it back. Another long consultation with you know who, the supervisor came on the line. I was about to change course and ask for a letter stating everything that had happened with the upgrade and a guarentee that we would not be charged for anything and would be conpensated for any charges related to mailing back the new modem. But the supervisor came on and said the committment will not start until the new modem is activated. So we will see how this all pans out. I am not sending the modem back, they said we could "set it aside". Ebay here I come. OBTW I got the supervisors name: Laura

• Do
      4th of Sep, 2008

About half the time, modem dial up is faster. The other half of the time, its too close to call. Thanks Hughes Net for reminding me what its all about. Not service, or customer satisfaction: Its all about profit. Thats it - and I hope the profit at Hughes Net drops to the bottom to reflect the crappy service they provide. I have now gone back to dial up and I am happier and less stressed than I ever was at Hughes Net. There are no misconceptions about dial up, I know its slow and they don't lie to me about it either, but its a hell of alot more reliable then Hughes Net. No dead times.

• Da
      12th of Sep, 2008

Our service at home on our HN 9000 has been awful also...very very slow but it says 400 Mbps at the connection...what a joke...I could send a carrier pigeon faster and of course it's 90/mo. and yes to get out would cost $500 ...

I think an aircard for my laptop would be faster...thank god for my computer at work...

• Ti
      13th of Nov, 2008

I'm currently going around with these jokers concerning the rebates they promised. Supposedly they never inform you how to go about getting the rebates, just pretty much hope you forget about the promised $100 plus a $50 Walmart gift card. When I called to ask why my install bill was so high, I was informed 'that is what it is' and that it was up to me to initiate any rebate promises. Of course, the person I was talking to couldn't do just that, but instead gave me a bunch of mumbo-jumbo about some process or other numbers I had to call. Just tried one of them and of course they only have business hours from 8 to 4. As for the $50 Walmart card, well I guess that actually has to come from another company even though I called Hughes to place the order, it is actually another firm that 'sold' me the product and has to honor that promise. Of course, a call to this number (at Red Ventures LLC) results in no answer and some general message queue. Not even a 'press 1 for customer service' type option.

What a bunch of crap. This company has been an absolute disappointment from start, and I've only been dealing with them for three weeks. I can only imagine how things will be if this stuff ever stops working as promised.

Buyer beware. If you have another option, take it.

• Ri
      20th of Apr, 2009

I have only had it 2 days and I can say this. They need to be shut down or the Fap get's lifted with that charter that people are signing to have it lifted.
    It wouldn't be as nearly as bad as it is now if the FAP limit is lifted, Since am a big down loader my self. The only reason I deal with it is cause there's nothing else and We need high speed here. We were lied to about the workings of it and also the Tech support when we called them today said this about the rebate "you can only get the rebate after 5 months of use" I to say the least was very very heated. I'm gonna end up getting a lawyer and getting something done. There liars cheats and Lazy heck they don't even have there own installation works they get sub contract workers and have no real steady works. Now This didn't bother me much since the people where really nice and were a young couple and looked close to starved. they stayed close to 8 hours cause the downloading of the files when it's peeked was very slow cause of the storm. I think they are some of the very few that care and help more then they should. Over all the provider is a complete waste of space and is as trustful as a 2 bit crack head con artist.

The only positive thing I can say about them is there installation people that did are install every thing else is as good as a broken arm and leg.

• Pa
      4th of Apr, 2010

all calls for these orders are recorded so any claims like these can be disputed easily.
    the information mentioned in the complaints is not hidden. it is available on the website.
    the rebate website being given is a requirement for all orders.
    this company will fire anyone caught lying on these calls.
    i have seen it with my own eyes. there is a zero tolerance for lies on calls.
    on the FAP there is an unlimited download zone and a download manager program available for heavy users.
    all customers have 30 days to make sure it works, which would make the majority of these people look slow or dishonest if it was a genuine disappointment after 2-3 days why not have it removed?
    as someone who deals very patiently and honestly with folks like these day in and day out i can tell you nothing short of free and unlimited service would make these folks happy.
    that is a fantasy. it is not fair to blame someone else because everyone didn't roll over and give you free pizza.
    (man it felt good to be able to finally say that!)

• La
      22nd of Jun, 2012

What a scam these people are. Since when is there a limit on downloads. They are the most expensive and the worst. I wish I had seen this page BEFORE I signed up. But hey you can send them an email and Clive from India will respond even though he has not read your email. No such thing as customer service from these guys or anyone else for that matter. Simply put, It's all about the money. Hughes you really do suck!

16th of Jan, 2013

i had hughes net for six months and half the time it didnt work i would get dns all the time and the weather was clear
    finaly the modem quit and i have no internet service they told me 9200 modem sucks it took them 14 days before they
    could fix the problem mean while i canceled they charge forty five days of service that didnt work wait til
    you have to send there ### back to them there packageing is all joke BEWARE OF HUGHES NET ALL THERE CALL CENTER GIVES YOU THE RUN AROUND IF YOU CAN UNDER STAND

• Wi
      30th of Jul, 2013

Hughes Net is the WORST internet we have ever had. Their internet is so dam slow. nothing loads and when u want to go online and pay ur high priced bill u cant cuz it wont load. then when u call u cant understand a word they are saying cuz there are not from here. which is bs. if you are looking for an internet provider do NOT go with hughes net. you will very unsatisfied like the rst of us.