Hughesnet / scam and cheating

When I signed up for hughesnet, there was no mention of any restrictions on how much you can download. I even told the salesman that I used remote desktop to monitor video security cameras at another location. The salesman told me that there are no restrictions but the speed, which can be upgraded for only $10.00 more per month. But the speed I signed up for should be enough to use remote desktop. The speed is OK for it, but after using remore desktop for a little more than 1 hour, I violated their fair access policy. After violating this policy, they throttle your speed down to less than dial-up. When I called regarding the slow down, they explained to me that I can upgrade to a plan that is double the price I signed up for ($120.00), and that would increase my download threshold to 500 mb per day. My original plan was for $60.00 and only allowed 200 mb per day. If I cancel after only 2 days, I am out the money for the installation, which is $335.00 !! I can not effectively use the service even if I upgrade my plan. If anyone knows of a class action lawsuit, please contact me. If any lawyers reading this would like to start the class action suit, please contact me as well. I just don't know how to go about it, but something needs to be done. The policy is way too restrictive, and with the flash and video content popping up all over the net, it's only going to effect more and more people as time goes on. The max amount that you can download in a day is equal to playing an online game for 1-2 hours, or using remore desktop for 1-2 hours!!

Br

Comments

6th of Jun, 2008

I have sent in rebate form.Bill Statements & have called at least 3 or 4 times about my second account rebate. I talked to customer service several times & all to no avail. If you don't want to send the rebate I hope you do it by the time i die!!! this has been going on since i had your dish installed 11/5/ 2007. Please send it to my address at 23500 Ridge Rd in Trinidad Colorado, 81082. You are punctual every month about taking m payments, but so slow about mailing my rebate.

Sincerely,
    Charles Hager.

• Ka
      11th of Jul, 2008

Same issue here. Installed in 11/07 and offered $150 rebate. STILL no check in July 2008. Every phone call (to India) is answered with wait 10 days, it is coming. Emails were uanswered until recently when I was answered with wait 10 days. It has been 10 days. This is such a scam!!! The service is not so great either.

• Mi
      25th of Jan, 2009

I totally agree. A similar situation happened to me. I live in a rural area where my only 2 options for internet are dial-up or satellite. I had dial-up for a year which only connected at 28.8kbps due to the poor phone line signal quality (lots of static & buzzing). I decided to upgrade to HughesNet 2 days ago. I got the home plan for $60/mo. for speeds up to 1.0Mbps. A week before I upgraded to Huges, I reloaded windows xp on my computer. Windows immediately begged me to download and install updates to SP3 among other updates, but I turned them off until I got Hughes. As soon as the installer set up my dish, I turned windows updates back on & left the house for the rest of the day. When I came back home in the evening, I rebooted my PC & tried to browse the web, but it was slower than my old dial-up connection. I called Hughes tech support & they informed me that I exceeded my 200MB/day limit, which neither the installer, nor anyone else at Hughes I talked with previously, mentioned. I had to wait an entire 24 hrs before I could use my new connect (that I was so excited about). I told the tech that windows ran its updates, which caused me to go over my limit. I apologized & asked them to waive my restriction just this once, but he denied me.

I think that as much as I pay for Hughes, there should be at least double the small limit they put on me. Another option would be to increase the restricted speed to around 200mbps instead of 28.8-ish! That would keep me a bit more happy.

I'm a very dissappointed customer now.