HughesnetWant to sue

P

I just wanted to let everyone know that after my own problems with hughes net and reading complaints on this site and others I am trying to contact lawyers about starting a class action lawsuit. I too have had issues with hughes net. First of free installation isnt free. They dont tell you that if it wont mount on your roof you are going to be out over 100 bucks. Then I just found out tonight that when I signed the paper for the installer that he said was just verifing that he did his job that I magically signed a 2 year contract. I purchased the equipment. In what company do you have to sign a contract if you purchase the equipment. Ever night we have to reset the router. There are days that we dont turn the computer on at all and come home to find we are over their fair access policy threshold. Tell me how does that happen. I mean come on. Now if i want to cancel I have to pay 400 dollars or take down the equipment myself and send it back to them at my expense and maybe they might credit my account $200.00. Thats what I find funny if i PURCHASED the equipment why do I have to send it back.
If I get any further information about my lawsuit I will let everyone know. Everyone needs to speak out about this. Trust me Im not one who believes in suing someone but this has gotten out of control. Especially since they have been sued a couple of times before.

• St
    Steveoreno213 Feb 13, 2021

Let me know if you figure out how to get it going and I will jump on board. I sold my house and it doesn’t seem right they can charge a cancellation fee.

• La
    LaRgn Jul 27, 2020

I have the worst service I’ve ever had by Hughes net. My Internet service has not really worked since the month after I got it. I have been paying for 20 months and never able to get actual service from Hughes net Internet. I was set up to automatically pay and have been doing so for about 20 months with no or very small usage so small that you can’t even open an Internet website using Hughes net. I’ve tried to call or chat on numerous times with long long waiting times and long chats that never amounted to any resolution. They were not willing to credit my account for the service months that I did not receive any service since the Internet service really doesn’t work for me I’ve had to had a second Internet service and use my mobile hotspots to actually have Internet service. I recently got so fed up with trying to spend hours contacting Hughes net that I disputed my credit card charges and finally got a response from Hughes net wanting money. I called and talk to a manager who refunded one month of service after an hour of discussing my situation. They finally canceled my service but charged me $115 early termination fee and would not credit any of the months where I had no service which was the Majority of the time I had Hughes net if you’re talking about having their dish on top of your roof and a hole in your house and no service. I asked to talk to the managers boss and I have yet had a phone call or any kind of response from this company. It’s really hard when you would have to pay a lot of money to sue this company so I think we should do a Group class act lawsuit. I have much data to prove that I’ve never had service yet continually been billed and continuous calls and chats with no adequate response and just threats of cancellation fees and fees to remove their equipment.

Barry Goldman Jun 03, 2020

I would love to get in to a lawsuit with those crooks. Not only is the service horrible, but just try to get a customer service person for anything other then to order new service. Impossible... you sit and wait while the recording goes through its bull and when its time to connect you, no one picks up and you get recycled to the beginning of the message!..I had to complain to the FCC before I got any level of service and then they want to give you data tokens to help out with the fact that you've been throttled back from a never available 25 mb to maybe .4 mb. I have never been able to stream anything. I was so angry (I'm a Song Writer) that I wrote a song about it. https://www.reverbnation.com/barrymusic/song/31089703-throttled-back-mix2 But the story does not end there...NOOOOO . After I was allowed to cancel they were supposed to send me boxes to return their crap equipment. Boxes never arrived... I must have called for two months ... never being connected with anyone who had the power to actually write up another pick up tab. It is now 6 months later and I was contacted by a collection firm (Joseph, Mann, & Creed)who wants me to pay them $327.75 !!! I am beyond angry! Someone help!!

• Ad
    ADV1 Dec 18, 2019

I am absolutely in on this law suit. I think something has to be done! I think HughesNet ought to be band from being a provider. How can so many people be unhappy and yet this company continues to do business in the U.S.A? How is this possible? We have to help prevent others from being suckered, robbed, frustrated and duped by this company.

• Jx
    jxp4169 Dec 11, 2019

I have no access to any other type of internet service in my location in Upstate NY and I could prove that they are committing fraud to my usage of data. Have performed similar task on my satellite as well as my cell phone service hotspot but somehow each time the Hughesnet says i use 10x more data. I want to join any lawsuit that set this company straight. I am handcuffed to used their service and they are taking advantage of it.
    Justin NY

• Ye
    yessuehughes Jul 23, 2019

I have had nothing but poor service from Hughes net since the install after initial complaints within the 30 day window to get a refund service improved by moving me to another satellite. Fast forward another 4 months and service is miserable every evening around 7:00 pm until some time the next day internet access is down and then often intermittent with error "no gateway found" or some other error than essentially means the network is overloaded. If there is a class action lawsuit or some other means to void the contract and get a refund without paying the huge penalty for early termination with a refund for equipment purchase let me know. I will join such a lawsuit just post the signup sheet with the details for the suit.

• Al
    Alwayshot Apr 12, 2019

Update to my post shown above:

I had contacted the BBB, my congressman, my local state representative and the FTC.

The BBB came through for me. There is a person there who deals only with Hughesnet complaints. Once the cancellation offer was made, I had to call Hughesnet and speak to one of their reps.

Hughes agreed to let me out of my contract without an early termination fee. I had been a customer for less than 3 months. My issues were the same as all of yours. There was one huge surprise, though. In their lengthly written response to my complaint, they offered to upgrade me to the 20G plan. I told the rep that the 20G plan was what I had signed up for and had been paying for all along! There was a long stretch of dead silence on the other end of the line. I was getting 10G service and paying for 20G.

I canceled on April 3, today is April 12 and I am still waiting for the postage paid box that they said they would send me so that I could return the modem, cord and radio transmitter off of the dish. I am keeping the BBB updated.

Hughes also sent me a survey to fill out and I will not do so until this mess is completely and totally resolved.

Good luck, everyone.

Sarah Lo Russo May 09, 2019

@Alwayshot Hi, Can you please give the contact information for who you spoke with at the BBB and what you said to Hughesnet for them to let you out early with no termination fees AND paid shipping box??!!
    I will follow exactly in your footsteps!

angcmil Jul 10, 2019

@Sarah Lo Russo @Alwayshot
    Thank you for giving me hope! This issue with HughsNet has been keeping me up at night. We have had it for less than a month and have had trouble from the start. Every time I call Tech Support the call me a liar and claim that I have great service. I can’t even make a phone call or browse the internet without issues. I would also love the contact number at the BBB. Thank you!

Sincerely,

ACM

• Hu
    Hughesnetisevil Jan 23, 2019

Absolutely agree would love to sue them count me in we finished a 2 year contract and went to cancel but because we moved in the middle of the contract and had it transferred they claim we started a new agreement even though we have records that say other wise

• Na
    Nancy Adams Dec 14, 2018

Im in! They are the worst service I have ever had. Then when you cancel early instead of mailing you a bill with in 30 days they automatically debt your bank account for the 355.00. Especially of you wee planning on the new internet service said they would pay for it. They Lie and they Deceive their customers. The guy from Direct TV said he could check how fast the speed was on the line and it was at 2.5. Less than they promised at 3. They are a very crooked company and I would gladly join in on a Global Law Suit, Count me in.
    Nancy A [email protected]

• Sp
    sparrowlikethebird Dec 07, 2018

HughesNet is ruining my life. I work from home and explained the technical specs I needed to be able to do so to HughesNet. Was told I would have no problems. All I have are problems. I have to work twice as long to make half as much money as I made before. I am currently paying $200 a month for this terrible service. I have to leave my house to work. I had to take a second job. I can't even watch Netflix without it buffering every half hour. I have called close to 50 times and nothing has been accomplished. I am actually moving because of HughesNet.

bailey684 Dec 07, 2018

I had Hughesnet after one year ONE year I sent very thing back that I could remove my self. I was told that it was a one year contract. behold now I have there hard collection calling telling me it was a two year contract. I told them That I called and cancelled my service after One Year and Hughesnet sent me a bill for 17 dollars and some change. I paid it now I am being hounded by there collection service. asking me if I received a letter and has any one offered me a settlement offer I said know and why. I paid my bill then they inform me that I owe them for two year contract. I said NO and she got very aggressive. what a strong arm tactic they use. they need to be held accountable for their actions. Gilbert Bailey

charliep123 Nov 30, 2018

I'm another Hughesnet victim, What a bunch of lies I was told by two different sales people when I told them I was disabled and was on the internet all day long and they told me after I used the 10 I wouldn't even notice the difference one said they have it and never know when it drops so I ordered it well after the thirty days when you cant drop the service without paying the early disconnect fee it dropped so slow I couldn't hardly use it at all after three days and im not paying 72.00 a month for three days of internet I told them I was low income on ssd and could not afford to pay any more, im waiting for a class action lawsuit I seen there has been a few in the past.

Jimrid Nov 02, 2018

I have found dozens and dozens of similar reviews various sites including BBB and scam reports, it's sad that this company is allowed to get away with this practice. My service is throttled between 5pm and 10pm during this time every night its impossible to even log on to the internet. After calling their CS department they want to charge me $150 to send someone out to fix their equipment issues. I now have a company that has installed a monitoring device that logs the speed of their service 24/7 and the results so far are disgusting with many time the speed is about half that of dial up. I am looking forward to a class action that i can join to once and for all make Hughesnet answer for their terrible service and deceitful marketing practices.

bailey684 Nov 02, 2018

My Hughesnet nightmare, I used there service because there where no internet where I lived. there service was off more than on the last time they where off for 48 hours there fault. They say reliable fast internet They broke there own contract when they where down for 48 hours. I lost money from work so I cancelled they breached there own contract unreliable. So the place I was renting at the time sold so I took my modem and cords with me I did not know you had to take the LNB off the dish to because when we had it installed there was already and LNB on the Hughesnet Dish. Besides that I did not have an ladder to climb up and retrieve the LNB off the dish. So the day I cancelled my service with Hughesnet they sent me to an hard collection service without letting me pay my 17.65 Bill. The collection service said I owed hughesnet 589.60 for unreturned equipment and breach of contract. I sent off the modem and cords. Sense they supply a service and come install there equipment they should come and retrieve it when you are threw with there service. Also the Hard collection service did not even send out an letter I went online to pay my last bill on hughesnet and it said my account was closed and in collection I was only 10 days late on my payment. there should be laws put in place to combat there actions. Gilbert Bailey

• Al
    Alycia Zeleny Oct 25, 2018

Hughes net installed their dish and wired it through the side of my house through the garage wrapped it around my furnace and the modem is in my laundry room I have tried to call numerous times to cancel they keep hanging up on me I have had the service for five days I can’t get any work done because of their slow Internet service even if I sit in the laundry room to try and work this is been an absolute nightmare.

• Ro
    Rosanne Navarrete Oct 12, 2018

I signed up with HughesNet with a sister co. I was told I could get internet & phone for $80 monthly. I agreed with these terms but the first bill was $107.48. I called to complain, I was told I could not have the services promised for $80 monthly. When I wanted to cancel, I was told it would cost me $500 to get out of the contract. Why can HughesNet enter into breech of contract with consumers and get away with it? When I try to cancel services not being provided it costs me $500? How are my rights being protected?

Only in America can an organization enter into breech of contract and get away with it. When the consumer fights for what’s right and try’s to cancel it costs $500 to break the contract for services Not being provided.

HughesNet you should be ashamed using predatory practices. Count me in on the class action suit.

Rosanne M. Navarrete

Jimrid Sep 27, 2018

Hughesnet is absolutely the worst internet company I have dealt with. Their service is erratic and at times slower than dial up. When it rains service goes out and lately between the hours of 5pm-10pm i am unable to connect to the internet even in good weather. Either their service is oversold in this Maine location or they are actively throttling bandwidth. I would love to be part of a class action lawsuit if one gets going!

• Os
    osspear Sep 19, 2018

I will join a lawsuit. How will this get organized?

• Ti
    Tired of the many lies Aug 29, 2018

They're sales reps are liars, the company as a whole are liars. The rep lied about the service I would receive also about the pricing. Long story short they assured me my bill would be $80 per month and low and behold my account was overdrafted...they charged me well over $110...they lied about promotions...there were continuous hidden fees and they never sent a contract as far as letting me know theyre cancellation fees or any other fees..theyre breaching the contract but want me to pay for their lying b.s. they said that I was lying about what the rep told me and that they will take her lying tongue as the gospel...but when confronted about going in to listen to the recorded phone call no one could séemed to agree to that but upheld their lying, silver tongued rep instead .also Im still pissed about the hard credit pull...which they also lie about that too...its cable not a loan...I am with anyone who wants to sue these liars!

• Ro
    Rosanne Navarrete Oct 12, 2018

@Tired of the many lies They told me the same pack of lies

Jimrid Oct 12, 2018

@Tired of the many lies I record all calls to Huhesnet or any other company i have issues with as allowed by FCC rules and Maine law

• Cy
    Cynnk Aug 13, 2018

Yes, sue, sue, sue! They are horrible. They slow us down on the first day of our new cycle for overuse! We can't get any other service where I was living. Captive audience. I am moving and just found out it will cost $570 to shut my service off!!! Lets get together here!!!
    Cyn

Chad Maddox Aug 08, 2018

We just built a new house and were told that we couldn't get cable or AT&T internet service. Direct TV said we could get Viastat 45mbs so I agreed. Then on install day, Hughesnet showed up and gave us 25mbs (that's actually more like 2mbs). A week later I found out that we could get AT&T, they just didn't have our address in their system. So we finally got it 4 weeks later. Now I just called Hughesnet to cancel and they said I had a 24 mo agreement so it would cost me over $300. I asked for them to show me where I agreed to 24 mos and they said it was verbal over the phone. I agreed to 12 mos over the phone so I asked to hear the recording and they said they can't do that because it is confidential! How is a recording of my voice confidential to the point that I can't hear it?! He then told me that I wasn't obligated to pay the cancellation fee but it may or may not go to collections and affect my credit. Later in the conversation he mentioned my credit card on file and I asked if it would be charged for the cancellation and he said yes, so I asked how am I not "obligated" to pay if you already have my card and are going to charge it? Hughesnet has done nothing but lie about their service, lie about their contract and scam me. There has to be some kind of recourse that can be taken against them? He said the only way I could hear the recording of me agreeing to the 24 month contract was if the case went to court and it would be presented there. Since launching a personal lawsuit against them would cost more than $300, they're pretty confident that they will never have to provide proof.
    Chad in SC

• Da
    Daniel Chasman Jul 19, 2018

My experience is similar. I would like to join the class action effort.

With best regards,

Daniel Chasman
    [email protected]; [protected]

• Ni
    Nichelle “Nicki” Almestica Jun 08, 2018

I have been with Hughesnet for about a year now and I HATE IT!!
    My daughter and I can't even watch tv at the same time, or use the computer while watching tv because the internet keeps freezing. I cut my cable service over a year ago so I stream now, but with Hughesnet as my internet provider, I can't even enjoy watching watching television anymore.
    I even switched to the gen 5 service and am paying top dollar for the highest speed they have but still the service sucks!
    If anyone wants to start a class action suit, I want in.
    It is so pathetic how companies like this take advantage of people and want to steal their money for their own personal gain.

• Km
    kmonzel Jun 06, 2018

I would be happy and willing to take on this [censored] company. They MUST be shut down. They owe me $470 at least.

Sandy Pouncey Jun 04, 2018

I want to join in on the class action lawsuit. I am disabled and on Social Security. I also live in a rural area of Alabama. I was given the speach about the free installation that I had to pay for too. They don't send any bills or emails that tell you anything. I just tried to cancel my service and they say when I signed the paper for the installer that, he said was just verifying that he did his job that I magically signed another 2 year contract. Plus he said I had a purchase agreement. I have already suffered through 24 months of the substandard service, I had all the issued everyone here have mentioned, data leaving with nothing turned on, either not working at all or 90 percent of the time is so slow, I just give up trying to use it. I can't ever watch Netflex or my DISH OnDemand because of the spooling or it just kicks me out and I have to reload. They also say purchased the equipment, but I got to mail it back to them?? There are days that I don't turn the computer on at all and come home to find I am over their fair access policy threshold. I even had a repair person come out and check and he told me data was leaving at a fast rate, but nothing was hooked up. Now that I have canceled my service, I have to pay, plus take down the equipment myself and send it back to them at my expense. How do I have to pay, if I endured this service since 2016? I PURCHASED the equipment and I have to send it back.?
    Count me in!

Alabama Sandy who loves her Verizon MiFi (It works great streaming Netflex and OnDemand)

Bangkok8 May 27, 2018

Yes I want to sue these idiots for false advertising. They claim daily on their TV advertising that when you subscribe for service you will get speeds of 25mbps. They don't say up to 25mbps but you will get 25mbps. I test my speed daily and the most I have gotten was 12mbps but 90% of the time I am getting less than 1mbps. I would say the average speed I get is 450kbps.
    I have been looking for a lawyer willing to take on a class action lawsuit against them. Any lawyers out there wanting to take it on?

Bangkok8

Sandyrobbins May 17, 2018

I am having the same issue. I occassionally have speeds of 4, but 99% of the times by speeds are less than 1mbps. I cant load a movie. Even hours spent on the phone with tech support...page they wanted me to go wouldn't even load. Technician came out and verfied the low speed, but couldn't fix it. Data use is astronomical even with nothing on.

Babybluz08 Apr 20, 2018

Is there a class action on them yet or how can I go about going after them? They are trying to charge me $391.70 for an early termination fee when I cancelled before 30 days of having it and it not working the whole time I had them!!! They are a joke!!!

• Ke
    Kerry Lingo Apr 02, 2018

I just signed up for Hughes Net the past Friday 30 March 2018. The dish was installed internet seemed to be working when the technician left. I was able to log into the internet, no problem. Later we tried to get into Netflix to watch some movies the signal was so bad so slow it would not even run Netflix. I logged in to check our internet speed it was right at 2.43 mbps. We had to switch back to our DSL which runs 6.5 mbps. I tried all weekend speaking to Hughes Net Techs who could not offer anything to fix this problem. I was told a technician would contact me today 4/2/2018 to come out fix the problem, no call as of this afternoon. I have had it! I am going to find a way to cancel this service and stop payment for false advertising and merchandise not as described.

Babybluz08 Apr 20, 2018

@Kerry Lingo They will charge you no matter what for an early termination fee. Be careful! I hate them!

• Je
    JessicaNLacy Mar 22, 2018

Who want to explain how I'm bored with this a.m. if you end up with any kind of lawsuit Count Me In I'm at work and I just spent the last 3 hours on the phone trying to resolve my issues every putting $5, 000 into something that doesn't work there's more but I can't get into it right now
    [email protected]

• Mz
    MzBaker 🇺🇸 #MAGA Feb 27, 2018

HughesNet is horrible. I had no choice but to get this garbage. we started out in month 1 with gen 4, then promptly upgraded to gen 5. Our internet is garbage, I can barely upload a photo to facebook half the time. Whether it be a computer or wifi on my cell phone. I explained everything I did to this woman on the phone, I work from home, We have a son who does all his work on his computer, then the games. We cannot load sites he plays games on or nothing. So, they lied to me. Unlike many others, I actually recorded the whole call :) Their deceptive lives on a recording! Imagine that! Anyone can do it, just call them and tell them you're moving, give them an address. Tell them you play Roblox, Minecraft, Facebook Games, Homeschool, etc. Record it all! They will tell you that you can do it. You just cannot play games that are played on Xbox or PS3/4, she said NO C.O.D. games like that can't be played. I said that's great, we don't play that. but I play the Wii U, she said oh yes, that's fine. Little did I know I was being deceived. Had they not blocked me today on Facebook, from their page I'd not be here doing this right now. I'm PO'd! I'm fed up with paying $125.14 a month for something that's not worth $50! Clouds = no internet, Rain = no internet, Hughesnet = garbage!

• Er
    Erikadumas Jan 30, 2018

Yea I agree with half of these I recently called to cancel my services a week before the bill was due and got a number and everything and then come to find out they still billed my card called them up and asked for a refund they said they couldn't cuss it had been used I don't see how when I haven't even been home for about 3 weeks in fact I called them from a different county canceled then come home to this its sincerely the worst won't be going back to them ever

• Ml
    Mlh5671 Jan 09, 2018

Hello Deborah,

Last week I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and last night I received a call from a Hughes representative who was responsible for resolving my BBB complaint.

I told the rep I was never made aware of the vast options and different plans Hughes Network offers. In fact, when I went through DISH Network for a new internet provider, they highly recommend Hughes and I was told I would recieve 25 mbps with NO data limtations. This is absolutely false! Hughes in fact has at least 4 different packages with a host of add-ons like "tokens" and "WiFi booster" in order to provide you with enough data and higher speeds. Keep in mind all of this comes at an added cost. Truth be told, Hughes has created a system that, if you want reliable service, it will suck your wallet dry! Keep in mind I was never clued in to all of this until I spoke with the Hughes rep last night. This is a classic bait and switch that screws me every which way but loose. Why? Because I will have to pay 400 dollars to get out of my contract!

Work has kept me very busy and I had no time to look into a Class Action Suit against Hughes Network. But, I am completely onboard and will follow through. If you make any progress, please keep me advised.

Regards,

Mark

• De
    Deborah Fillion Jan 03, 2018

I have called a lawyer also, because my speed has been 800kbps for months. I have sent them speed test results, called and been put on hold for hours, and been told I would get a discount on my monthly bill. None of this helps me get the internet I am paying for.

• Ml
    Mlh5671 Jan 01, 2018

I have had this crappy service for three months and I have regretted it ever since. I will be looking into filing a class action suit against Hughes Network. More to follow.

• Jr
    jrjbojangle Dec 28, 2017

I too have been duped by this company, Hughesnet". From the day of installation I never had internet, the installer said I had to buy a piece of equipment (can't remember now), he came back and still couldn't get it working. I told Hughesnet customer service about this and they tried to fix it over the phone with me, to no avail. I told them I no longer wanted their service and returned their equipment, yet they billed me $600 even though I never had one day of internet service with them. They are a scam and ripoff company. They should be sued...

• Au
    AutomationGuy Dec 24, 2017

I wish the lawsuit would go through, you might need to add false advertisement, I myself have been with them off and on since they was directway.
    I went to the gen 4 and now they offered me gen 5 which they claim is so much better. But they lied they claim 25 mbps download and 3 mbps upload, but all a can get is 1 to 2 mbps, the most I ever got was 11mbps and 1.81 mbps upload.
    I get better speeds from tethering my phone.

• Ka
    kaylea cramer Dec 16, 2017

I was never made aware that I was under a two year contract or on auto pay. when I found out I was on autopay I yanked that out from under them and switched to paper billing. which they then charged $5 bucks for. then when I cancelled they want to charge me $610 for early termination, which I have refused to pay. credit can be rebuilt. I sent the equipment back and tracked it so I know they have it. I don't know who they stay in business but they will not receive that termination fee.

• Ff
    Ffffgggggggggghhhhhhhjj Nov 18, 2017

I also had the internet gone and one one was home we where out of state on vacation they say because my router was on they won't give me my internet back its, a scam I'm filling a credit card claim in the morning

• De
    designerjen Nov 07, 2017

I would like to know if anyone has found any resolution - through legal action with Hughes Net. They obviously commit fraud on a regular basis, and I don't see how this can keep going on legally. HughesNet has breached their contract with me by stating internet speeds would be up to 25Mb, and has consistently been around 2Mb - and I have the Speed Tests that were run by their customer service reps to prove it. They charged me $400 to cancel the account with them - which is unfair and illegal but I am paying it for now because I literally can't get any work done utilizing their internet. They also lied numerous times - stating their "advanced technicians" called me - or stated they would call and never did. I truly regret signing up with HughesNet.

• Ka
    kaylea cramer Dec 16, 2017

@designerjen they are trying to charge me $610 for early termination. however, I had switched to paper billing. I refuse to pay the early termination fee credit can be rebuilt.