HSBC & AIG / this appears to be a scam!

Aig stated that my husband filled out a credit card form for me with hsbc to receive a master card. today I received a call at work from hsbc for late payment. once I inquired about it there were charges from aig (hsbc's insurance provider). this appears to be a scam. aig is pretending to know about the charge and pretending that my husband verbally ok'd the insurance (which he never did) and hsbc is charging me (including late charges) for a service from aig (their partner) that I never approved.

Hsbc refuses to cancel the charge based on my husband's phone call. aig refuses to cancel or credit my acct based on my phone call. so both of them acknowledge that the master card is in my name and not requested by me and that the insurance is supposingly requested by my husband and not me.

The operator at hsbc stated that there are hundreds of complaints and that's why I can't get through. I wonder why.

Aig claims that they will credit me for the $51.90 charged and hsbc's billing office is now closed (the operator did not know... i've been on the phone for 2 hours). however, the bill is for $83.90. hsbc's operator says to call back in 2 days. hopefully this will be resolved. but, I still feel this is a scam.

Di

Comments

• Mo
      21st of Mar, 2007

Few month back , I got a call from HSBC customer care regarding opening insurance by third party Tata-AIG and monthly charges will be Rs. 300/- but I strictly said no but he said for two months its Rs. 10/- per month, so after second month you can close this policy and I did as a customer executive said. Second month I requested to close this policy. But third month I got another Bill again I asked for this what is this to customer care executive then I came to know that my Tata AIG policy yet not been closed and he again requested to request for close and whatever charges you are getting in your credit card bill will be reverted back but still I am getting bill every with new charges of late payment. This HSBC service is so pathetic, they got new way to cheat the customers.

Now my bill is Rs. 2015/- without purchasing any thing on HSBC credit card. Again when I called up to customer care then he said there is no any policy of HSBC to revert back all the charges after cancellation on TATA AIG policy. These people are liers what they will say and what they will do they don't know.

• Gb
      11th of Dec, 2007

If HSBC has anything to do with it... it's a Scam!

• Am
      8th of Jun, 2009

Hello Friends,

Absolutely right. Tata Aig in association with HSBC Credit Card is cheating.

I have taken tata-aig maharaksha policy last year with a annual premium of about rs 15000 which expired on 3/4 th March. I got a call from tata-aig regarding renewal of the policy which I did not want at all, so told him not to renew. His executive told me that just renew your policy and get it canceled within 14 days, we will refund all the amount we charge from your hsbc credit card and for cancellation of the policy you just have to sms with your policy number to 58888 and we will refund entire amount to your credit card.
    So they have renewed my policy with annual premium of rs 30000 this time.

I have sent him sms 4 times on different days within 14 days but they did not cancel my policy.
    Then I contact with tata-aig customer care who says I can cancel your policy after deducting 25% (why? - even I contacted customer care within 14 days - they says there is no lookup period for renewal of policy).

I have contacted hsbc bank customer care regarding same, but they are even not ready to listen my problem, They says just talk to tata-aig, if tata-aig refunds it will automatically reflected into your credit card a/c.

This is not the end of story, HSBC bank has automatically converted this policy premium amount of rs 30000 into emi without my consent, A step ahead of Tata-aig in the process of cheating.

Overall, Its my suggestion that never take any policy from TATA-AIG using your HSBC bank Credit Card as both are very good business partner and never miss a chance to cheat you and beware of his cheating.