H&R Blocktax preparation gone wrong

Parting ways with HR Block after 20+ years.

I have been an avid and trusting HR Block customer for over 20 years. The level of service and 'Peace of Mind" services provide me a sense of security that HR Block employed top-notch tax preparers – that would eventually dissipate.

After over 20+ years with HR Block I had to select a new tax preparer approximate 2+ years ago because my original tax preparer retired. 2015 is when my problems began.

1. During the 2015 tax season, on two separate occasions two HR Block tax preparers working together while I was sitting in their office calculated two different amounts I owed and both were exorbitant amounts and this was just for federal taxes. Of course I knew they were wrong, and asked that they reassess the filing, they did but came up with a different, lower, but still exorbitant amounts, of which I questioned again.

To summarize my HR Block Tax Preparer told me that she would continue to review my taxes up until the filing date of 15 April, that she would not file them electronically and instructed me not to mail them or send in any payment. I followed her instructions. I stayed in contact and called several times to obtain a status. After several calls, she returned my call and shared that she could not find any issues and that was the amount I owed.See the Top 10 Worst Complaints in Laurel, MD At that time I took it upon myself to speak with an independent tax expert, within minutes, he confirmed my suspicions that HRBlock doubled my disposition of property. Further investigation revealed that it was done the year before as well. I shared this information with my HR Block preparer, she reviewed her work and confirmed that the error for both 2014 and 2015. Wow!!!

You would think that they would be more than happy to apply the "Peace of Mind" for both years, which is a a nominal cost to them ($300 to $400), especially since I was a long standing customer with no issues in the past. That was not the case, HR Block applied it for one year but would not apply it to the previous year even-though I followed all of their instructions. There reasoning is that the problem was caught before the 2015 was filed – not the case – HR Block Rep electronically file the original and I followed her instructions to mail the original and corrected packages together.

HR Block ignored one of the main factors (of which I brought to their attention more than once) – that I had to seek independent services to identify the problem. The endless calls to HR Block seeking their assistance, following up to obtain a status, taking time off from work to visit their office - all unacceptable. The ironic thing about it, is that I really did not care about receiving the $300 to $400 "Peace of Mind" money. HR Block totally missed the bull’s-eye on their moral obligation. As a customer I trusted their guidance and direction for years. I followed their directions to the letter for the past 20+ years.

I can no longer trust HR Block abilities or promises.

Go