H&R Blockemerald card

I opted to use the Emerald card for my tax refund with HR Block. Everything was fine, until I noticed that my balance was much lower than it should be. After checking my transactions online, I saw what I assumed to be a simple error on their part. I had purchased two airline tickets totalling $610.80. The two tickets were listed under my completed transactions with two seperate charges of $305.40. The total charge of $610.80 was also still listed under pending transactions and being deducted from my balance a second time.

I called customer service. That was my first mistake. The representative clearly had no idea what I was trying to explain and rather than attempt to understand the problem, she simply told me that my problem would be escalated due to a system error and resolved in a day or two. I had a feeling she was just telling me this to collect my $2.00 charge and get me off the phone and so I called again the next day.

Of course, there were no notes on my file and the representative I talked to simply told me that this needed to be escalate to another dept, blah, blah, blah. I asked the name of the dept - no answer. A file or case # I could refer to - no such thing. How about a supervisor - nope. In the end I was transferred to the dispute dept. After a 20 minute hold, I spoke with a young lady who advised that she not only wasn't the dispute dept but that I had to call another # to get that dept. I called the # and was given a fax # to send a written dispute too.

I am not necessarily aggravated about what I would assume is probably a system type error. I am positively disgusted by the shoddy and miserable service I received. Clearly, if you have a problem this is not the company you want to deal with which is really a shame since i have used them for years. They have not only lost a valuable customer, but a vocal one at that.

Comments

• Sh
      Nov 23, 2008

after falling for the convience asspect, my refund which was to take 1 day took three weeks many phine calls and a three hr wait in the office that did taxs. my card had $2.38 on it in july, yesterday recieved a invitation to return to hr block and they would take the -$32. owed to them off my refund.. where did that -$32 come from? overdraft fees! also for netflex charge. never had a netflex account dont even know what netflex is... will not return to hr block or use that type of card again!!!

• Sh
      Jan 24, 2009

I HAVE RECIEVED EMAILS FROM WHAT I ASSUME TO BE EMPLOYEES OF HR BLOCK. I am just voicing my opion of this service if you had a better time than I did good for you...but I have had this kind of experience from two seperate hr blocks... I will now do my own taxs and save myself the fees..

• Ad
      Jan 30, 2009

was suposed to receive my money in one to two days, and just like above it has almost been three weeks!

• To
      Feb 02, 2009

i will do my own taxes next year, i came up with the same amount h&r did when i did my taxes myself, but i was not confident enough to send in, they charged me $368 to do what i can do myself, they also told me i was approved for 1-2 day refund and later said it would be 8-15 days, when i used taxact online it prompted me right through the process for free, i wont pay again

• Se
      Feb 13, 2009

The Emerald card is a rip. I had my taxes done on the 3rd. They said I would have my money on the card the next morning. Well...It is now the 13th, and no money. DO NOT use this method of payment. Get the old fashioned check. I am fuming!

• Ms
      Feb 20, 2009

I'm been going to H & R Block for 11 years, they have always treated me with respect. They patiently answer any questions that I have. I have a great rapport with my tax preparer and I Love the way H & R Block does business. Keep up the good work guys!!!

• El
      Mar 12, 2009

The Emerald Card has had my money in pending limbo for over 9 days now I canceled my order with the apple company 9 days ago I called with a customer service representative to the emerald card customer service they were rude and snippy with both of us telling us that the apple company had to fax over a stop form of some sort to them which my apple customer service person said they never ever had to do for any other card ever. They said if nothing was faxed then I wouldn't be getting my pending transaction money back for over 20 days!!! I will never use H&R Block again. My customer service representative from apple had something faxed over to them for me. My customer service representative from the emerald card charged me a 2.00 fee and didn't help me at all. Apparently I'm now supposed to have my money back on the card in 2 days but I'm not holding my breath. Don't use H&R Block and if you do for god's sake don't use the Emerald Card...

• Do
      Mar 12, 2009

ive had 70$ in thier pending transaction perguratory since the 23 rd...its the 12th now.

May 18, 2009

This is one of the Worst pre-paid cards I have ever seen in my life. Besides the fact that they rip you off to file your taxes your supposed to be able to keep the card and load money on it. They have had my money that I loaded onto the card tied up for over thirty days. I haven't received my personalized card and they canceled my original one with even allowing to receive the replacement. Then every time I called to see where my personalized card they told me a different story. As they charged me $2 for every call I made to ask them a question about their mistakes. I had to call and request 3 cards and they tried to charge me for one saying that you only get one personalized card for free which I never got. Finally they have refunded all but $20 but they have had over $180 of my own personal money tied up for over a month. I am not sure how you feel but I don't want anyone to control my money to that degree ever again they are worse then banks because you can't go in and actually talk to someone to get it resolved! Hated them!!!

Jan 29, 2010

The Emerald card is a rip off. Because you can"t get cash off the card, and then you call the customer service line to talk to someone that is no help you. If you are going to want people to open up an account have the person on the other line of the customer service to speech english or what ever lanugage that the person speechs so that they understand one another. I will never use this emerald card again.

Jul 05, 2017

the customer service line is a joke them foreign folks have no clue how to handle issues i was put on hold 40 mins twice on vacation with my daughters in ny i honestly think they dont even have supervisors the phone just rings and rings. Ive never been so ready to swing a punch in my life i get text alerts been using this card for years all of a sudden 100 dollars is missing from my account i get no alert about said transaction they claim happen on the 26th my balance and available funds was THE SAME DAMN THING on the 30th i paid my phone bill 50 bucks and withdrew 300 for my trip from 894 i have 430 sumtin left umm no you do the math im not having it freeze my account this they hang the phone up drop calls and like i said have you holding for hours waiting on a supervisor who never shows up. Im willing to go as far as i have to for these people to be held liable for there actions

• De
      Jan 20, 2019

I have been an H & R Block customer for some time now and my earlier experiences have been fine. But when they changed banks, from BoFi bank to Axos Bank, their stats have taken a real turn for the worse for me. Every Friday, which is my payday, the website is down. Now I cannot logon to pay necessary bills or allocate funds where the need to be. For example, there was a message saying that the site would be unavailable from 2 am to 8 am Sunday for updates. It is now 1 pm and the site is still not working. Called customer service to inquire about the site only to get someone who will not give my a straight answer because I would not provide a zip code as part of an identity check after she had already gotten my full name, ss number, birthday, last 4 numbers on the card, exp. date of the card and the security code on the back of the card. I told her she had already gotten the most important information to know my identity, why do you need a zip code. I am done with these crooks. I have already changed my deposit information for my job. Their customer service department sucks!