HP / TC1100 Tablet PC / unreliable product

United States Review updated:
I was so excited the first time I learned about the HP Tablet. I replaced my heavier Dell and thought that, as a woman, how wonderful to have something that was lightweight and had the tablet writing capabilities. So my business partner and I both bought machines - $5000+ was a huge expense for a small business but, at the time, we thought it was worth it. Over the past three years, we have both replaced hard drives every year. The last straw for me was when I learned that the power supply is connected to the mother board. When my power supply plug in on the side of the machine broke and I was going to have to replace the mother board - or try to resauter the power supply to the mother board with no guarantee that that would work - I gave up.

This was the most frustrating, depressing experience I've ever had. Now I have a machine that has a new hard drive in it but isn't reliable enough to use or fix. I spent $5000+ of my company's money when I could have spent half as much and had a reliable machine from our typical supplier - Dell. And this doesn't include the labor to replace hard drives and diagnose problems.

This has been a very, very expensive decision. One that I would never make again.

Comments

Jc
  5th of Apr, 2008
Have seen the same problems with other brands. Dont pin it down to HP, you can have the same problem with Dell. I purchased a Dell laptop, just after the year warranty was up the hard drive went. Its jsut how it goes unfortunatley!
Da
  9th of Feb, 2009
How long of a warranty did you purchase for this unit?

For a $2500 business tablet, buying extended warranty along with accidental damage protection is a good idea. Depending how essential the laptop is to your business would determine if you wanted 24/7 4hour support or just 13/5 next business day support. I believe you can do post warranty carepacks on these devices as well but without knowing your specifics its hard to say.

If the device was covered under warranty there shouldn't be any cost for you to get this device repaired. Contacting HP directly would get your device serviced and HP Authorized Service Providers get reimbursed for the labour they do by HP directly and I may be mistaken but they shouldnt be charging you to do the work as it is apart of the ASP program and all work is included with the labour reimbursements the ASP gets.

Only time you would get charged is if the issues you are experiencing are not hardware related (ie OS issues, settings etc) as warranty only covers hardware, and only getting the hardware back to factory defaults, data recovery and retrieval are not covered.

Hewlett-Packard / HP Development Company Logo Hewlett-Packard / HP Development Company
Overall Satisfaction Rating