Hotwire.com / deceptive website!

1 West Valley City, UT, United States Review updated:

Hotwire.com presented itself as a discount reseller of airline tickets. As I entered my destination and dates to get some prices for a round trip ticket the website required me to enter my credit card number. As I looked around for different flights at different times and prices, the website displayed a 'Thank You' message and informed me that I just made a purchase and 'All sales are final' and 'There are no refunds'.

I tried contacting the company by phone but could not get anyone to answer. I called my credit card company, Discover, and put the transaction in to dispute. They did a routine investigation and sent me some copies of Hotwire.com's refund policy. I am still disputing the charge.

The price of ticket was ridiculously high for the flight offered: $454.00 for a flight that required me to change planes in Denver, as compared to the flight I actually booked on Cheaptickets.com for the price of $294.31. In addition, Cheaptickets.com will give you credit for canceled flights if you do so within 48 hours of booking!

Why would any reasonable person choose to do business with Hotwire.com?!?!?!

Va

Comments

Ky
  15th of Jan, 2008

This person is either lying or incredibly stupid. Hotwire does not ask for CC information until after you have already selected a flight, gone though several screens detailing the flight, and entered the passenger names. Then you put in your payment information (several pages after you see your search results) and read the Terms of Use, which are presented in 12 point font and take up about half a page on an 800X600 screen resolution (in other words, it's not a lot of reading). You check a box to indicate that you accept them and then and only then do you complete the transaction and authorize the company to charge you credit card.

Ca
  5th of Jun, 2008

Whatever Kyle, you must work for hotwire because so far I've seen you defend them in every complaint post against them. Hotwire is a crock of bull, this is coming from a customer not an employee, and they will pay for ripping so many people off. Again as I've seen so many people say: AVOID HOTWIRE AT ALLLLL COST!!!

Da
  2nd of Jul, 2008

i agree with kyle on this. part of the discounted rates they offer is the fact that the cant be canceled. i did hotel sales and people foolishly asked for the lower rate even though i advised them they should only do it if their plans are set in stone. as in, they are immediately non cancellable. while our website listed 3 times before booking that these rates were non cancellable, people still insisted that they were never told.

its a consumer issue. not a customer service issue. i think they are ok with stupid people not using their services^_^