Hong Leong Bank / problem with opening a current account for a private limited / sendirian berhad company

1 Taman Melawati, Malaysia Review updated:

Firstly, Hong Leong Bank, Taman Melawati KL branch's bank personnel are not aware or properly informed by their own superiors/top management with regards to the new ruling stated in the Companies Act 2016 endorsed by the government agency 'Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia' or 'SSM', which allows a single director of a local Malaysian private limited company (Or it is called 'Sendirian Berhad' in Malay Language) to open a current account. Plus, the service provided at this branch is consistently very poor and unfriendly, refer below for further details.

I am a single director of a new private limited / Sendirian Berhad company and I was trying to open a new current account at Hong Leong Bank, specifically Taman Melawati KL Branch. Back in late September 2018, I requested for the application forms to open the new current account but the bank teller was not satisfying in terms of her service and she simply gave me the application forms without informing me anything else.

Then, back in early October 2018, I came prepared with all the necessary documents required for the application, only to be told by the bank teller there that a private limited company must have two directors in order to open a current account. As such, I have tried to tell the bank tellers that I will call up my company secretary in regards with the new ruling of Companies Act 2016 so that company secretary could explain to the bank tellers. Unfortunately, the bank tellers replied to me in a very rude manner, exclaiming "What else is there to explain?". After hearing such a rude reply from them, I got fed up with their service, took back my documents and left the bank immediately.

As such, I would strongly implore the top management of Hong Leong Bank to look into the bank tellers working at this branch and mete out the necessary action towards to them, especially informing them about the new ruling from SSM to allow other future potential customers who are also a single director in a private limited company to open a bank account. This is highly unacceptable since this ruling came from a goverment agency and by right all bank must adhere to this ruling without fail. Last but not least, the service provided by this bank's branch must improve or else it will not be good for the bank's image.

Jo
Oct 9, 2018

Comments

• Mu
      12th of Oct, 2018

@johnC89, the regulator for banks is Bank Negara and not SSM or company secretaries. The banks only take instructions from Bank Negara. FYI.