Home Depot / warranty of hot water heater

1 west roxberry Massachusetts, United States Review updated:

Dear Attorney General,

In 2007 I bought a hot water heater. As I was checking out at the register the sales lady scanned the Hot water heater and up came info on her register to ask me if I wanted a extended warranty. I asked her how much. Then she said the most expensive for 99.99 is a lifetime warranty on your hot water heater. I said ok I'll take it. Now in March of 2013 the same hot water heater went. I went back to home depot to pick up my new heater and they told me they needed the old one. I just drove 20 miles so I decided to pick up a new water heater then when I bring the old one back they could credit me. I installed the new one and put the old one in the truck. I dropped it off at Home Depot # 2665. When I was at the customer service desk a nice lady took care of me. She called the extended warranty people up but could not locate me in there system. She told me she would need the original receipt. Went back to the office and returned with the receipt. She called them back up and they wanted her to fax over the receipt. She told me they would give her a answer in a few days. She told me she would call me. Over a week went by and know one called me. I went back up to Home Depot and asked to speak to a manager on this. The customer service lady called the mod manager three times. She finally came up to customer service 17 minutes latter (Jessica [protected] ext 101) . She told me she would have to talk to the original customer service girl who handled it. No one called me back so I called corporate and spoke to Dwayne Benjamin. He told me he would look into it for me. He called me back later on in the day saying I should have never been charged for a life time warranty that someone made a mistake. I told him that’s not my fault and you need to honor the warranty. Since I paid 489.00 for the new hot water heater I wanted a credit for it. He told me he could only give me 279.00 credits for what I aid for it in 2007. And no credit for the 99.99 lifetime warranty. I told him forget it and we will have to go to small claims court. He said this was his offer and he would send a letter to me. It’s pretty bad when Home depot sells you a lifetime warranty and then doesn't honor it. I have lots of rental property and I do well over 30, 000 a year in business with them. Why would they want to lose a customer like myself over 200.00. I am forwarding a copy of this to our Attorney General to look into this matter and how many other people have got ripped off. By the way when I bought the new Hot water heater what do you think the register girl asked me again? "Do you want to buy our extended warranty? David Notarangelo [protected]) slip number in [protected]-37748) slip on new hot water heater [protected]). Update; a letter and documents have gone out to the attorney general. The media is next in less this issue is resolved!

Sincerely
David Notarangelo
61 Cleveland St
Boston, Ma. 02136
[protected] cell

Fr
Apr 3, 2013

Comments

• Km
      5th of Apr, 2013

The Attorney General's office is not always the way to handle disputes.
    I had a simular problem and contacted the FTC. Here's the web http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/index.shtml and click file a complaint at the top of the page.
    Good Luck