Home Depot / I almost hate looking at my floors!

I defintely won't be spending any more of my money with Home Depot!
I ordered linoleum flooring in Februaruy 2006 and they were installed on schedule in early march 2006. My husband and I loved it, they were beautiful and not exactly cheap! Almost $5000.00!
1 year installation warranty was included with the install. I really thought a company like Home Depot would stand by that!!
What was I thinking!!
A repair need that was the result of installers error,came up in June. I called them.... no problem they say, we'll look after you. It is now the end of October. 1 person has come to look.... but no repair has yet to be done! I got the run around, lots of return phone calls...... but still NO REPAIR!
4 months later I have a new phone# to call that the install department so kindly gave me ...... only an answering machine there! Talk about a brush off!
Never Again! I will shop with the little guys that might actually care about customer service!
One day I hope to have my floor fixed, probably by someone else.
If only I had read all the online complaints referring to Home Depot prior to purchase!
Now, I almost hate looking at my floors!

Va

Comments

• Br
      20th of Nov, 2006

A copy of email to: Home Depot, Tucson, Arizona (El Con store)

I recently bought an Atrium front door through the Home Depot and paid for their contractor to install it. The door and install totaled approximately $1,800. The install alone was nearly $400.

I should have known this was going to be a fiasco when I initially went to order the door.... On July 12, 2006, I went into the store on my lunch break and picked out the door. I paid the $50 fee to have the contractor come out and measure for the door. On July 19, 2006, I returned to the store to sit down with an employee and actually get the door ordered. I was there for nearly an hour and 1/2 and thought that the order had been completed. Over the next week I received repeated calls by various employees requesting information that had already been given to the initial employee I dealt with (the employees were apparently not communicating with one another), the door was FINALLY ordered on July 26, 2006. The information that was given to the employee ordering the door was that the door was to be natural, unstained pine construction on the inside and out (not metal clad) and that we were going to be staining the entire door and NOT painting it.

The door finally arrived in the store in mid-August. I asked the person at the special order desk if I could come and look at it to make sure everything was in order before it was delivered and whether I needed to make an appointment to do so. I was told no, no appointment was needed, to just show up at the special order desk and they would take me to receiving to see it. I went to the store the next day on my lunch break and told the girl at the special order desk why I was there. She then proceeded to take 2 phone calls, making me wait for over 10 minutes. Finally, I was taken back to receiving, only to be told "oh, the door is behind a big stack of merchandise on a pallet". I requested that the pallets be moved so that I could look at it. Another 10 -15 minutes went by while someone went to get a fork lift. Finally, after nearly 1/2 an hour, I was able to look at the door. All seemed to be in order.

I could not get an installation date until August 31, 2006, so the delivery date was scheduled for the day before, on August 30, 2006, so the door would not have to sit outside while waiting for the install. I spoke with 2 different employees regarding the time for the delivery. I informed the employee that I live 35 miles from where I work in town and that I would need the delivery to be sometime after 3:30 p.m. I was told that they could only narrow it down to a time between noon and 5pm. I informed the girl that I could not take 1/2 day off work to wait for the delivery and could they please work it out to be after 3:30pm. She told me that she would put my request down and she would have the delivery supervisor get back to me. I did not hear from the deliver supervisor. On the day of the delivery, I received a call at my work at 2:00 pm that the deliver driver was on their way. I told them that this was not the arrangement and it was supposed to be after 3:30. I was then told that since the driver was already on their way and would have to wait for an hour for me to get there, it would be an adidtional charge of $120 (on top of the $80 I was paying for the deliver). I asked to speak to a manager about that and was told they would call me back. I did receive a call back approximately 15 minutes later that they would waive the charge. I appreciated that fact, however, I don't believe I should have been "threatened" with that in the first place, since I made arrangements well in advance to have the delivery at a time that I could be there.

The door was installed the next day. My husband took 1/2 day off work to be home for the installation. When I arrived home from work, the workers were just finishing up. I noticed that the trim on the outside of the door had a gap of over an inch all the way around the door where it should have been up against the adobe brick door frame. Also, they had installed brick mould trim rather than solid pine trim. Brick mould is is for painting, rather than staining, and I had given the information that we were planning to stain the door and not paint it. So, Home Depot had ordered and delivered the wrong trim. I pointed this out the workers, who told me that was the material they were given to work with. I also noticed that they had started to fill the gap on the inside of the door with WHITE caulk (the adobe is dark brown, the door is to be stained honey pine). I told them to stop and we would do the caulking ourselves with either clear or dark brown caulk. (We had to wait for the caulk to dry for 2 days and then dig it out and scrape the adobe to get it off). Lastly, the door has 2 sidelite windows that have screens. The screens were made too big to fit the opening for the windows. The installers took the measurements and told us they would give the measurements to Home Depot to order the right size screens. Also, the screen frames were constructed of shiny white metal, and did not match the threshold which is a dark bronze.

The next day, I took photos of the trim on the door and the gap around the frame. I went to Home Depot on my lunch and delivered them to the special orders desk with a note asking them to call me so that we could have the installers come back out to fix the problem. I also inquired about the color of the screen frames and whether they could be ordered in different colors (I was not asked at the time I ordered the door what color I would like). I did not hear from anyone for a day, so Ifinally called. I was told, oh yes, I received the photos, we will have them come back out. I then inquried about the screen frame colors and whether they came in different colors. Her response was, "I'm not sure". I finally had to ask her if she could please find out for me and let me know. Several hours later I did receive a call back and was told that "the screens come in 7 different colors". I was amazed once again that I had to keep pushing to get the information that should have been offered from the very beginning of the ordering process. I selected the color I wanted and was told the screens would be ordered.

The installers were scheduled to come back out to my house to fix the trim on the door on September 11, 2006, between 9 and 11:00 a.m. I took the morning off work to be there. At 8:00 a.m. on that day, I received a call from the installers that they were at Home Depot and they were given poplar wood trim, rather than the pine that was ordered. They were then told by Home Depot that "we don't carry pine" and that they would have to get the pine trim from another Home Depot store on the other side of town and they couldn't get it that day. Meanwhile, I had taken time from work and had to go into work late that morning and still my door was not finished. The next day, on Tuesday, September 12, 2006, I again took time off work in the morning. The installer arrived at 8:15 and finished the job. He told me that Home Depot had told him that the manufacturer told them the screens are the correct size (this was a surprise to me, as I was under the impression the screens had been ordered the week before!). This installer AGAIN tried to fit the screens, which were (still) too big for the opening. He took the measurements and told me he would give them to Home Depot. Later that day, I called and spoke to the special services desk and I was told that they had ordered the screens but it would be 4-5 weeks before they came in. I stated this was not acceptable, there had been multiple screw ups and could they please put a rush on them and let me know when they would be in? As of this writing (September 14, 2006) I still do not have an arrival date for the screens.

I finally decided to contact the store manager, Bud Butterfield, to discuss all of the problems that I have had with what should have been a rather simple door installation. He had nothing but excuses to offer me and told me that he didn't have the details and should speak with his special orders manager. I told him that I did not want to deal with another employee and that is why I was contacting him, as the store manager, to rectify the situation. He informed me "that is not the way their process works" and that I needed to speak to this other person. I again told him I wanted to deal directly with him. He refused to help me, telling me I was more than welcome to contact his district manager. I informed him that I am planning on installing new tile throughout our house, as well as buying new appliances and asked whether my experience with this door installation is indicative of the service I can expect from Home Depot? He had no reply. I can assure you, I will not spend my money at Home Depot again only to go through the inconvenience they have caused and then show absolutely no concern for rectifying. It seems that Home Depot really doesn't care about the "little" consumer and their customer service reflects that.

Bridget
    Tucson, Arizona

• Cu
      3rd of Aug, 2009

I definately agree that the Home Depot is very unorganized. I used to work there and there is definately a lack of communication!! I was a cashier and would desperately try and get help from staff on the floor and would get responses such as "can't you just get it for the customer?" Uh, no. I'm a cashier and cannot leave my till unattended, so why don't you do your job?!

Unfortunatley customers would take their anger out on me instead of management who should make sure everyone is doing their appropriate job when the customer needs it.

• Th
      23rd of Aug, 2009

I hate my manger at Home Depot - Charles Boarden. He is a dickless loser and will screw you every chance he gets.

• Ph
      23rd of Oct, 2009

If you manager is "d!ckless" as you post, THDAssociate, then how can he "screw" you every chance he gets. I am assuming you were speaking metaphorically?