HH Gregg / terrible experience

I purchased a 50" Samsung plasma television on 8/22/08 which was delivered 8/24/08. the television worked great until 9/6/08 when all of a sudden it made 2 popping noises and went out. The repair man they contract with said it may have had a hairline crack and when it heated up it broke the back panel and it can't be fixed. he wrote that it happened the same day on his report so when Samsung contacted them they told Samsung it was either damaged at delivery or when I put it on the table. which if I damaged it would I be able to watch it for 13 days? He told me to contact HH Gregg and tell them what he said and they will replace the tv.

HH Gregg has done absolutely nothing to help me. they keep saying they need approval from corporate, they need approval from Samsung. They never give me an answer or return the call when they say they will. Samsung now says that since the report from the repair man says it was damaged either in delivery or installation it is not covered by the manufactures warranty and it is up to HH Gregg to take care of me.

I told HH Gregg this and I get more of the same, I need approval and will call you back. they never do. I spent close to 2, 000.00 dollars on this television and a 5 year warranty they sold me which isn't worth the paper it is written on and can't get any help getting this resolved.

I found out today the 5 year warranty does not even begin until the manufactures warranty ends - was I swindled or what. The salesman told me when I purchased that the extended warranty will cover anything that the manufactures warranty wont cover so you never have to worry.

I called the extended warranty people and guess what, it's not covered under this warranty either. I will never purchase another thing from HH Gregg and will tell everyone I can to stay away from that chain. I now have to pay for a television I can't even watch while they get approval from who knows who?

Everyone involved in this transaction, Samsung, HH Gregg and the warranty company all point to the other for a resolution and in the meantime I have no television.

Va

Comments

• Va
      22nd of Sep, 2008

Today, my wife and I made our first trip to an HH Gregg store. We went to one in Orlando on Orange Blossom Trail. The first thing I noticed was a sign with a sale paper - the sign said something like "private sale, open to the public." I couldn't figure that one, figured it was some incredibly lame gimmick to con people into thinking they're getting a better deal than they are.

Just after entering the store, a salesman came up and immediately tried to sell us a TV. We told him we weren't there to look at televisions, we're looking for microwaves, then he walked away. We had to pause for a minute because there was a clearance table. In the very short time we were stopped at the clearance table, the same salesman came back and tried to sell us a mattress. We told him we weren't interested and walked away, toward the appliances. Upon entering the appliance section, a salesman came after us and asked if we need any help. I said no thanks, we're just looking. He continued following us and went on to talk to us for nearly five minutes about how HH Gregg is better than every other store. After that, we had to leave. At the front of the store, we made a quick stop at an appliance display near the front door. Right after we stopped, we saw another sales person coming for us, so we quit looking and headed for the door.

This was a horrible horrible place and I intend to never go back to an HH Gregg. I don't care if their prices are an better than anyone else's - there are places locally that sell for less and the sales people aren't quite as pushy. Even if they were the cheapest, I'd gladly pay more to not have to deal with the incredibly pushy sales people.

• Tr
      14th of Apr, 2009

that's samsungs fault they should fix it read all paperwork before ranting about it

• Tr
      14th of Apr, 2009

I think its nice to have people so eager to help, yes it can be overwhelming at times but communicating that to the sales people would probably do more good than an internet blog about complaints. try speaking your mind with your mouth not your fingers hiding away behind your computer screen, tell the store manager tell the customer service tell a person working at that store so they can address that issue so it will be better for everyone.

• Bo
      23rd of Sep, 2009

Why would someone want to make a major purchase and not get customer service?

• He
      12th of Jul, 2010

The warranty begins the day you recieve the product. Your not telling us something. I think you dropped the television and made up some crazy story.

• Fl
      30th of Jul, 2010

I purchased a complete set of Samsung kitchen appliances (fridge, stove, above the range microwave, and dishwasher) on July 2, 2010 with a personal check. At the time of purchase, the range was out of stock but was expected within the next week. Because hhgregg could only deliver to my address on Wednesday, delivery was scheduled for July 14, 2010 - the first Wednesday when all appliances would be in stock. I received a phone call from the delivery manager on Monday July 12th, telling me that they would not be able to make the scheduled delivery becasue the refrigerator and diswahser were out of stock. I was confused, did he mean the range? No, the refrigerator and dishwasher that I paid for had been delivered to another customer with an earlier delivery date. MY refirgerator and dishwasher were out of stock with no definite due date. I was disgruntled and asked for some sort of resolution from the store's management. I did not receive another call from the store until Wednesday morning, July 14th. At that time, my salesman called to let me know that they could not make my delivery - the replacement appliances had not arrived. I asked to speak with the sales manager - Mindy - who had approved the final details of my purchase on the 2nd. The salesman - Wayne - was nice enough but had to ask permission and get guidance on even the simplest of questions. When Mindy got on the phone she indicated that she could deliver LG appliances but could not provide any type of anticipate delivery date for the Samsung appliances I had ordered. I asked for a refund. She discouraged that and encouraged me to shop around because it was unlikely that I woul find a deal as good as this one elsewhere. She was surprised someone would make this deal b/c they "lost $50. I reminded her that she worked the deal! I did shop around and ultimately decided that even if it cost more money I would not patronize this business and I wanted a refund. On July 15th I called Mnday and asked for a refund. She again had to be reminded of my situation and proceeded to explain that had she been my salesman she would have encouraged me to schedule an earlier delievery date to ensure that the product I was purchasing would be in stock. Really? the delivery date was predicated by their delivery schedule and again, SHE was the sales person/manager. I was livid. I explicitly asked her the refund process and the EXACT date that I could receive my refund. She asked someone in the backgroung the details and said that I could visit the store 15 days after the date of purchase to receive a refund. I asked for the specific date, she replied July 22, 2010. I visited the store again on July 25, 2010 where I was told that the information she provided was incorrect. It would take an additional 7-14 business days to receive my refund becasue a check was being requested AT THAT POINT. I still have not received my refund. I called the customer service line to convey my complaint and in true fashion to the other comments posted here - no success. The representative on the phone was apologetic, but no real resolution. At least she apologized - no one in the store apologized once during this situation. I simply heard excuse after excuse about why this happened and they were only able to offer these great prices by keeping a small number of appliances on hand, blah, blah, blah. Think twice before shopping with this Company. My new appliances from SEARS are being delievered tomorrow! The y were more expensive, but I couldn't be happier.