Hertz Car Rental / i'll never rent from them again!

I rented a car from Hertz in Orlando last weekend and was told that it was a better deal to buy the gas that was in the car and I could return the car empty, because gas was over 3.00 a gallon in the area.

I decided not to do this fortunately. At the "private" gas station (associated with Wendy's) across the road from the rental return area gas was $3.59 for regular, however one mile away it was $2.25!! What a scam!

I was surprised to find they had taken out more than $100 from my travel card over the price I was quoted. When I complained about it I was assured that the money would be returned on midnight the day I returned the car. Of course the money is NOT back in my account and I was told by Hertz customer service to register a complaint at a website... www.customerrelations@hertz.com... of course my computer says this site doesn't exist. I can't say I'm surprised. I'll never rent from them again!

Lu

Comments

• Va
      21st of Dec, 2006

I just rented a car from the Albuquerque NM airport Hertz dealership. This will be the last time I rent from them. I have never experienced such poor customer service!! They quoted me the price of $175 for 1 week and then charged me over double the price for "taxes and fees." This has turned into a learning experience.

I will never rent from Hertz again. I complained to the manager about the poor customer service and she then proceeded to belittle me, so it's not just the front desk clerks who are jerks! I then called the national toll-free number and they said they had no control over the local customer service. I WILL NEVER, EVER RENT FROM HERTZ AGAIN. THEY ARE RUDE LIARS. This learning experience cost me approximately $500 for a one week rental of a mid-sized vehicle. Do not let this happen to you.

26th of Feb, 2007

The issue isn't what Hertz charges for a gallon of gas, it's that with this program you pay for the whole tank in advance at that price... so unless you bring the car back on fumes, you're GIVING them back any gas you did not use! They try to slide this by as "would you like to not have to fill the car up before you drop it off, we charge only $X per gallon" and THAT is the fraud: misrepresenting the pre-purchase of a tank of gas as the option to bring it back below full. DO NOT pre pay, just fill it up on the way back to the airport.

• Pa
      14th of Mar, 2007

I rented a car for two days on 2/24/07 in Lexington, KY and was supposed to be billed $56.26. I was billed $175.78 on my MasterCard bank card on 3/1/07. I spoke with the Manager. He said they had mistakenly charged me for fuel, even though I had filled the tank up before I returned the car. He also said this had happened before. He assured me he would send the information to the main office in Oklahoma City to credit $119.52 to my account. I spoke with him on 3/6/07 and 3/8/07 as the credit was still not on my checking account. He kept assuring me it would show up any day. I kept trying to call the toll free billing inquiry number but it was always busy. In the meantime, the charge overdrew my checking account and my bank deducted $9.00 from my checking account to transfer money from my savings account to cover the overdraft. As of today, 3/14/07, my checking account has still not been credited by Hertz. I called the billing inquiry number and after being on hold for 12 minutes, I finally got a representative. She told me that she did not have any record of any requests from the Manager about crediting my account. She said she would credit my account $128.52 for the $119.52 overcharge and the $9.00 bank charge, and it should show up on my bank account in 3 - 5 days. We'll see!

• Me
      14th of Mar, 2007

I concur with the Hertz complaints. I rented in Jacksonville Florida. I was told I could take the option of buying a tank of gas from them or refilling myself. The Rep stated the gas for the OPTION was $2.31 and the price of gas where I was headed was $2.65. I took the OPTION, thinking it was just that, an OPTION. The Rep never informed me that I should return the tank empty, and that none of the gas I purchased wouldn't be credited. I purchased a full tank of gas just prior to returning the vehicle thinking the OPTION wouldn't be charged at the time of checkout. The OPTION was not deducted from my final bill, and I was unable to communicate with the non English speaking Hertz employee who took possession of the vehicle. I filed a complaint on the ever so personal Hertz complaint website and got the generic, "we can not return your money because you signed the contract." I essentially paid $70.00 for a tank of gas and gave it to Hertz. Well they can keep the gas, but they lost about twenty yearly rentals from our work group. In addition AAA, who endorses Hertz is going to hear from each and everyone of us. STAY AWAY FROM HERTZ AND THEIR FRAUDULENT BUSINESS PRACTICES.

24th of Jun, 2007

Same story here. I rented from Hertz , Denver Airport location on 06/10/07. I was running late and didn't have another 30 or so minutes for the Hertz rep to work his way through the line of customers before me to be processed and receive a receipt. I should have known that not waiting for a receipt would be exploited, I later discovered a charge of $143.20 for fuel on my credit card. Still waiting for resolve, though I'm sure my wait will be fruitless.

• Fr
      28th of Sep, 2007

The fuel purchase is what you guys seem to most complain about. It's a convenience option, pre-purchase what's in the car, and when you return the vehicle, don't worry about filling it up, just drop it off empty. Hertz has to make money in every way they can, it's not fradulant or stupid, it's legit smart business practice. I see nothing wrong with it at all. In most cases, you would be spending more money to fill the vehicle up then taking the option.

• St
      31st of Mar, 2008

I rented a car on March 24, 2008 for five days (RR654207562). Since it was the day after Easter, the rental office was jammed packed and the wait to be served was quite long..When I was finally served I signed the agreement assuming it was written according to reservation data I agreed to when I phoned it in.
    When I returned the car and saw the over charge of
    $62.20 I tried to have the overcharge removed.

After much hageling I recieved a $30.00 reduction.
    I expected a bill of $150.00 plus taxes and not $230.00

31st of Mar, 2008

I had nothing but a good experience when I rented from Hertz at the Gainesville, Georgia facility. My car was ready when I arrived, clean, and the young lady was courteous, pleasant and helpful. Returning the car was as easy and quick.

• Mp
      18th of Sep, 2017

@Anthony Lett That is why you shouldn't write about it here, on this website. If you notice, it's for people, not like you, who had trouble with hertz. Your comments are not correlating with the annoyance and irritation caused by Hertz's policies and their employees.

• Do
      23rd of Apr, 2008

Made a complaint about service on4/14/08 with Shila at extention 7807. She stated I would know something by Friday 4/18/08 I called 18006544173 and was told i could not be connected tothat extention number. Would like to know what the outcome of my complaint is.

• Na
      12th of Jun, 2008

my name ..nadia abdellatif femil from ca city of bell 6601 king av 90201 ..i waz in city of Downey at the hertz rent car's i got mazda cx7 on tha march 20 ..i rented the mazda on april 7 ..to whitter city the men he was helping me in city of downey he was in city of witter that day when i return the car he help'd me again so that day i didint have money on my DEB CARD so he say it's ok cash so i give him the cash ..848.84 i ask for reciv he say it's ok nothing will be your ok... i told him ok so after a while i got my bank of america statmen i see he was also charging my DEB CARD i was ther on whitter hertz ...he say you never give me cash ...and he was acting cryzy with me ...and his name ..PHILIP ogola...and i swar to god thAT all this is tro ...and my # 323 282 9730, ...help me pls

• Li
      2nd of Jul, 2008

I was quoted $96 dollars for my rental and when the car was returned, they charged me over $200. I spacifically told the woman I needed the car until Sunday night, the rental store was not open on Sunday. She told me I could pick the car up on Saturday before 1pm, they closed @ 1, and it would be a 2 day rental, I agreed, she then told me the total was going to be $96 and some change. we only needed to drive a 4 hour trip to Pennsylvania and leave the car there, 1 way trip. I thought $96 was a little steep but, really needed the car. When the car was returned they charged 2 x as much and said I only reserved the car for 1 day, and kept it 2, so they charged me 79.99 each day. NOT WHAT I WAS TOLD!!! I would have never paid over $200 for a car for a 4 hour trip, a train would have been cheaper and faster!!! I can not afford $200. We had to pay extra for gas, which I agree and have no dispute, but I was told 96.00 dollars and some change on the phone for 2 days, she was told I needed the car until Sun. night Never once was I told the car needed to be back @ 1:00 Sunday or the Number $79.99 even mentioned. I am sick over this, $200 is outragous. Please tell me something can be done about this. This women was not clear AT ALL on your prices, I would not have taken this vehicle for that price . $200 dollars, PLUS the price of gas. It's rip off, and I feel I was misled. I want some answers. It was not fair what was pulled here!!!

• Ot
      20th of Mar, 2009

same here. I made a reservation on the internet and was charched already with almost the whole rent due. A day prior to the pickup I checked with the office on the LAX Airport and not suprisingly, they charged me almost the double ammount of money. Seeing that I canceld the reservation and asked about my money. The guy on the counter said, all good, give it a couple of days and it will be refunded. After almost a month now, still no money and the lady on the customer hotline says. It was never canceld and if I had a car or not, she could not see.

I'll take a camera team to the LAX and make a good story for european TV Station, they love rip offs like that and I'm sure on the long term we help future customers with that...

• Li
      5th of May, 2011

Well I have not even had my car yet but the service (i say service laughing) as it is a joke, I booked 12 months in advance last September a Camero for when we go to Floriday this September, I confirmed it would be this car only and not an or similar as stated on the website as if not this car we book through someone else. they confirmed it would be this car. I did not receive any confirmation and after numberous tries on their webite ( which when I logged in confirmed I owen £1600 even though the rental was nothing like this and was in paid in full) I called them and they sent me a confirmation e-mail which confirmed the car was a Dodge Avenger or similar (which is nothing like what we booked) I have called over 30 times now and each time get told a manager will call me back which they never do, they are now saying they change the fleet andso we can't have this car but will not agree on any of the alternatives we gave (4 alternates in total) suffice to say I will never book with them again as who knows what we will end up with when we get there.

• Qi
      13th of Jun, 2011

I was critically injured in a Hertz rental the day I rented it and it was completely totaled and I was in the hospital for 2 weeks. Had the optional insurance and they billed me 3, 873.00 after the (so called) insurance paid. They told me I had to pay for 17 days rental at 69.99 because they couldn't get the car from impound until then, a damage waiver of 475.83, fuel and service for 107.88, concession fee recovery 164.15, energy surcharge 1.05, demand letter mailing fee, towing 1585.oo, tax 267.02. I was told I had to pay all this, after having the optional insurance they offered! NEVER EVER RENT FROM HERTZ!!!

• Tm
      27th of Jul, 2011

I rented a car for two weeks from Royal Oak, Michigan the service at first was great. Then the charges were incorrect so I called the office. The man was very rude and put me off until after closing to rectify the situation. He then told me to wait until two days later as he had no control over the incorrect charge LIAR. Turns out after speaking with my bank he sent two charges which created the error. When I called him back he said, "Oh well I will send a letter." TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! DO NOT RENT FROM HERTZ!!!

• Fa
      5th of Sep, 2011

I was on holiday in Cyprus together with eight friends of mine. On 20th August, 2011 we hired two cars from Hertz at Larnaca Airport. The following day one of the hired cars suddenly stopped since its battery was faulty since the moment it was given to us. In fact, this car could not get started in two different occasions thus creating a serious inconvenience to all of us. Hertz did not send any help so that we struggled to find leads in order to restart the car and go back to Larnaca airoport to replace this faulty car with a new one, i.e. driving for 350 kilometres back and forth from our holiday resort. The faulty car we had to give back the day after, 21st August, 2011, was registered with the following rental agreement number 040426094, in the name of Mr. Fabio Massimo Orlando. Once we got to Larnaca airport, while we were giving back the faulty car, this car bumped into the other car we had hired, which was completely unmoving, registered with the following rental agreement number 73040302987, in the name of Mr. Alessandro Federico. We immediately signed the accident report form at Hertz office at Larnaca airport where we were replacing the faulty car - which was now also damaged - with a new one. On that occasion Hertz took us 850, 00 euros for each of the cars we had hired the day before, i.e. 850, 00 euro for the car which bumped into the other one (rental agreement n. 040426094, in the name of Mr. Fabio Massimo Orlando) and 850, 00 euros for he car which was merely bumped and had no responsability at all (rental agreement n. 73040302987, in the name of Mr. Alessandro Federico), for a total amount of 1.700, 00 charged on a single credit card. Since then, despite the tons of telephone calls we made and the many reassurances we received from Hertz personnel ("we will call you back in ten minutes", "we will call you back in the afternoon", "call the Nicosia office", "you have to talk to Mr. Spyros" and so on) we did not know and, as of today, still do not know the entity and the amount of the damages nor were the 850, 00 euros relating to the car which was merely bumped and had no responsability at all (rental agreement n. 73040302987, in the name of Mr. Alessandro Federico) given back to us, despite Hertz personnel had assured us the contrary when we signed the accident report form. I must add that Hertz personnel also assured us that we would surely get a reduction on the rental price we paid due to the inconvenience we went through for the faulty battery and the discomfort suffered by all participant, including a pregnant woman. But we had no communication at all as regards the promised reduction. We would have never imagined such an inefficiency and neglect for customers.

• Mr
      20th of Dec, 2011

Okay. So seeing how every other person has similar complaints just like my own, I am going to continue this thread about my experience. I just hope Hertz is ready for a law suit.

On December 18, 2011, I pre-paid a rental from Hertz from my Iphone. That rental was for 2 days at a $19.95 rate. Thus, equating to $39.18. When I arrived at the LAX airport, I immediately made my way to the Hertz office to pickup the vehicle. Upon entering the doors and talking to the representative, I forgot about the insurance, the taxes, and fees. As a result, I allowed the charge to go through equaling a sum of $15.00 per day. ($15 x 2 days = $30.00 + FEES = $54.30) When it came to me paying for the bill, it reflected that my CC would be authorized for $254.00 ($200 deposit included).

As I drove it off the lot at 12:30am, everything turned out fine up until the very next day when my brother informed me that the GAS SWITCH doesn't work. We even tried to manually open it as that too didn't work. Because of this, I called Hertz Roadside Assistance to let them know of the discrepancy and demanded how I should not be charged for not filing the tank up. The representative agreed and was alot more understanding than any representative I know. He even gave me his name, his rep ID, his call center, and the length of my call followed by entering my issue in the notes.

However, because of family issues dealing with holidays, pick ups and drop offs, and etc. I called them back again asking if I can rent the car for another day. The representative said yes as my charge would differ. Differ in the sense that it would equal $42.00(Insurance included again) that would result with my final BILL on TOP of my previous charge($54.30) equating to $96.30 <----REMEMBER THIS TOTAL FOR IT INCLUDES THE CHARGE FOR DAY 1, 2 & 3.

It is now December 19, 2011. I looked in my account to see a "Pre-Paid" charge for $39.18 and another charge for $96.02. Seeing how I am puzzled at this for the representative told me I should be charged for a total of $96.02, I thought it was rather odd there were two separate charges reflecting in my account. Hence, the $96.02 involved day 1, 2, and 3. So IF ANYTHING should be charged in my account it should be the $39.18 and a charge for $56.84 (THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DAY 1, 2 & 3 SINCE I WAS TOLD IT WOULD BE $42.00 FOR THE 3RD DAY). So I then decide to call them to inquire and what do I get? A rude belligerent country girl trying to tell me how I do not know how to calculate in a nutshell. To include, tell me $96.02 wasn't my total charge but $134.09 is. Now...seeing how this is a bit of a increase versus it being $96.02 reflecting on my receipt? I thought of one thing that could possibly make it $134.09. Guess what? They charge me for gas...yet, I rectified this with them.

NOW I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU GUYS OR GALS OUT THERE. BUT I ALREADY KNOW OUR ECONOMY IS SCREWED. I SAY WE SHOULD ALL FILE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST HERTZ. Just saying there are enough reports of similar nature to mine and yours all over the web. Even on peoples personal blogspots. I plan on filing suit period for I know alot of lawyers out here in the LA area. But yes. DO NOT RENT FROM THEM.

• Ki
      27th of Dec, 2011

HERTZ I HAVE HAD IT WITH YOU AND I'M GOING TO EVERY NEWS STATION IN THE DALLAS AREA. I WILL ALSO BE
    CONTACTING A LAYWER AND ANY BODY ELSE THAT WILL LISTEN AND MAKE YOU PAY ME MY MONEY ASAP!!!
    I'm not going to explain what Hertz has done to me because when you call the Corporate Office all you get is the same
    recording for their Customer Service. All I have received it snotty agents who have not been very customer friendly and I'm
    not putting up with it any longer. I have been dealing with them on my issue since December 22, 2011 to this very moment. They owe me $699.28 and it doesn't appear they want to pay. THEREFORE, I AM GOING TO EVERY NEWS STATION IN THE CITY OF DALLAS NOW. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!1

• Mi
      12th of Aug, 2013

I just rented a car from Hertz 24/7 for 2 hours. The worst experience I ever had. The first car I went to at a location near my house was not released by the parking attendant because I was told Hertz owed them a $50 parking fee. Then I was sent to a location bout 30 minutes in the opposite direction of where I was going. Of course this made me late for my appointment. Anyway, When I got the car there was no gas card in it. I was told that the car would have a gas card but when I called it back in the agent said that there is no guarantee that a card will be in the vehicle and if I didnt bring the car back with at least a 1/4 tank there would be a $25 fuel fee. The car was not cleaned at all. I will never rent from them again. Zip car provides much better service!

• Sk
      29th of Jan, 2014

The name on my drivers license didn't EXACTLY match the name on my credit card and they refused to rent me a car. I am a UAL and Alaska Gold MVP member and rent/fly often and have never had this experience. The Dallas Hertz representatives were so inflexible and arrogant. I will shout from the roof tops at every chance I get to share this Hertz experience.