Hertz / pricing gouging

1 Birmingham, AL, United States Review updated:

I had made a reservation with Budget car rental at the Birmingham airport, but when I arrived to pick up the car, I was informed by Budget that they did not accept debit cards for payment. The CSR informed me that Enterprise and Hertz accept debit cards as payments, so I went to Enterprise, they were out of rentals, then I went to Hertz. I was informed that cars were available and asked what type of car I wanted. After I gave my information and gave my debit card to the CSR, she informed me that she would have to run a credit check for the rental...though I had never experienced this I said it was ok for her to run my credit. After she ran my credit, she informed me that I could rent a car and said that there was a Camry available...and then here comes the blow...she informed me that my rate would be $164.64, I informed her the would be fine and then she said "a day". I stated to her that price for a 3 day rental for in-state would be over $300 and she said yes, but it seems that you have no options, your the one who needs a car, either you can rent with us or you can thumb your way back home or to where ever your going. I was very shocked that she said this to me.
I felt because she had seen me going to the diffent rental counters that she knew that I was desparate and needed a vehicle. She was right, I had no options but to rent from Hertz. I am aggrevated and I feel cheated because the price was gouged due to my need for a car. I was charged $329.28 for a 3 day rental. When I reviewed my bank statement, I noticed that the charge from Hertz was $529.28. I called the car rental counter in the airport asking why was there an additional $200 charge to my account. After the CSR had reviewed my rental information I was informed that this was a security deposit and that it would be added back into my account. He also mentioned the rental rate. I informed him of what had happened. He apologized for the female's rudeness and did not mention the fact that I was price gouged to the extreme, he just said that the rate should not have been that high and ended the call. I would like to know the real reason why the rate so so high for the rental because as much as I have thought about letting this issue go, I can't because I feel as if I was taken advantage of because I there were no options left for me.

Comments

• Ha
      18th of Feb, 2010

Dear Stupid ### with a debit card.
    First : Why don't you have a regular credit card? I can answere that : - You may not not a good credit history! or you may not have enough money. Am i in the right 'ballpark'?
    Second : If you felt that Hertz' prices were a bit too high for you, you should've walked. If can't afford it, don't buy it!
    Thrid : Next time, you should consider taking a bus. It's less expensive and there are no credit checks. Ok?!
    Get lost.

• Da
      20th of Feb, 2010

What kind of ignorant ### are you?? Have you nothing better to do than respond so rudely and judgmentally to genuine complaints, the likes of which may in time help to bring about improved customer care and service.

I'm guessing that you're American.

The kind we have to stomach on Jerry Springer?

Do us a favour... if you can't stop writing your crap at least stay where you are and never ever go abroad!