Hawaiian Airlines / false advertising and misleading website

1 Honolulu, HI, United States

So I have a couple of things to discuss.

I live in Hawaii and we always fly Hawaiian because there are some many good things to say about this airline.

However I have to say that because of a couple of recent incidents I am very disappointed.

My wife tried to book her mother a trip to visit us in Hawaii and spend time with her grand daughter. We have purchased Hawaiian Air gift cards for Christmas, Mothers Day and Birthday in hopes one day she will visit us. When trying to book the airfare it was extremely difficult to do and so many terms and conditions I would warn anyone when doing business with this company to beware.

We wanted to book an extra comfort seat and this could not be done with a gift card. Gift cards are dollar for dollar so why do you restrict being able to upgrade this.

In the end we booked the ticket with the gift card and then logged back on to upgrade to extra comfort with another form of payment.

We also could not add insurance to the ticket with a gift card. We could add the insurance by using a third party suggestion from HA but the cost was double.

NOW...…….today my wife was looking online at her account as was I since I just returned from a trip from Vancouver. She suggested share her miles to me since I travel more. I said look into it.

The way HA sets up their website is very misleading. We are not old and we are pretty tech savvy. I could just imagine how much older people or people that don't realize they are being taken advantage of.

The website states a $25 transfer fee and a .01 per mile additional fee. My wife was going through the prompts and we were discussing the transfer and should we do it. She never got a screen to confirm the transaction and before we knew it we were charged.

Right away, I called the HA customer service line and got hung up on 2 times. I finally got someone on the other line and explained that we need to cancel this transaction bc we never agreed to the transaction. Also I was pointing out the very misleading website and the only thing this share miles program is trying to do is encourage people to sign up for their credit card. The girl on the phone told me they could not cancel it but said if you apply for the card we will not charge you the fee.

I said that is great but what about the fact that the website never gave us a confirmation page to complete the transaction. This all in itself is completely wrong.

I spoke with someone else a supervisor and he agreed he could refund the money but it would take 7 days. He also took me through the scripted conversation to tell me if I applied for the credit card there would be no fee.

BE CAREFUL PEOPLE ….THESE GUYS HAVE GREAT PLANES AND I LOVE FLYING WITH THEM BUT IF THEY WANT TO DO THIS SHADY STUFF...JUST WATCH OUT ..

Me