Handyman Club of America / subscription scam and felonious harassment

It seems that I too have been caught up in this onerous scam perpetrated by Handyman Club of America. I received a solicitation to review the details of their program, and a magazine with a guarantee that there were no binding obligations should I decide not to undertake the subscription following my review of the magazine "Handy" representing Handyman Club of America. I also received a "Free Gift" which was a small notepad with the Handyman logo printed on it and a sheet of stick-on address labels, and finally a plastic trinket that probably cost all of 10 cents to produce. All of these gifts seemed to be consistent with other magazine offers and are generally chalked up to marketing expense for the attempt to procure new customers. Seemed normal business.

HOWEVER - Upon reviewing the magazine in February 2007, and the requirements stipulated to be a club member, I determined that receiving and reviewing tools for Handyman Club of America was not in my best interests. I submitted a written request to cancel any further mailings of magazines and more importantly to CEASE & DESIST sending me subsequent requests to Pick my tool of choice for review, and CEASE sending me any further Handy Magazines.

Now like many before me, I am in receipt of a letter from one RCMB ostensibly in Elmsford NY 10523. I will forward a copy of this stated complaint, along with a specific and written refutation of RCMB's felonious and fictional claim. I will research the permit number posted in the letter with the Secretary of State of NY, send a copy of my denial letter to the Attorney Generals Office State of NY, and also investigate other websites and legitimate business entities, such as the Better Business Bureau, Chambers of Commerce, the three major credit bureaus, regarding any other scam tactics employed by both Handyman Magazine, Handyman Club of America and RCMB.

May I encourage others who are being wrongfully harassed and accused of willingly agreeing to any form of legitimate obligation with Handyman 'anything' and its complicators, act and refute with extreme prejudice their low life and desperate form of coercion and intimidation. RCMB makes accusations and demands and threats without offering one shred of legitimate, certifiable, and verifiable proof.

My next stop is SNOPES.com... these sort of predatory and disgustingly manipulative tactics should be cut off at the source of the disease... I smell lawyers behind this scam!

Brutus A. Morgan
Wallingford CT

A  11th of Sep, 2007 by
Thank you for your well written post. I agree entirely with your comments about this outfit and judging by the number of complaints it appears that there are many other people who have been scammed too.
It is still going on.

Just today (9/11/07) my wife received two "Official Notification" letters, one from Handyman Club and the other from National Home Gardening Club. They contain identical wording and both signed by K. Pope so it is obvious that this mob is even bigger than we thought.
Like you, I am not just rolling over on this and have filed complaints with The State of Florida and The Better Business Bureau.

I have not yet been harassed by the collection agency RCMB but should that happen I will make them choke on Title 15 Chapter 41
http://www.access.gpo.gov/uscode/title15/chapter41_.html. Good luck to all. Maybe one of those lawyers will get a whiff of possible class action and we can collectively take these crooks to the cleaners.

HandyMan Club of America / Scout.com Logo HandyMan Club of America / Scout.com