H & R Block / rapid refund on taxes!

1 Sanford, NY, United States Review updated:

My son and his wife went to H & R Block for a rapid refund and spent an extra $200.00 for the service. The ATM they told him to use ate his card. He went back to the office and was told he would be mailed another card in 7 - 10 days. So much for being rapid. After 10 days his new card did not aarrive. He went back to their office, and was told to try to retrive his card back from the ATM machine company. He went to the ATM company across town the next day and was told H & R Block would not allow them to give him his card back.

He went back to H & R Block again and was issued a new card and told the funds would be available in 4 hours. Guess what? The funds where not available and he went back to H & R Block and was told that his original card had not been canceled and he would have to wait another 5 days for a new one.

He is now awaiting a call from a district manager who said he would try to help but was not sure how.

I guess he has people!!! Working on a tax refund check, I just don't know where they are.

Comments

• Mi
      19th of Feb, 2008

H&R Block has screwed up my taxes two years in row now. Last year they told us everything was filed and fine. My husband is in the Military and and pays taxes for another state. Turned out they never did file our state taxes right so we ended up doing them ourselves. This is my husband was overseas so our taxes were suppose to be tax free. The tax lady hit the wrong button and cut us short of 2500 dollars for our taxes not knowing she screwed up until a neighbor of mine complained hers were messed up too. Then she was suppose to go back in a fix them which , I was told by the IRS that you cant do because it will look like you are trying to file twice. So when our return hit the prepaid card it was the wrong amount. Therefore we had to submit a 1040x form to get the rest of our money which H&R Block said would take 4-6 wks , However just getting off the phone with the IRS I have now learned that , that was a lie it takes 8-12 wks , and they did not file out state tax this yr because the tax rep. said " she didnt know how to work the system and it would be cheaper for us to do it ourselves " I will never use them again and I am fighting to get my filing fees back , my husband serves this country for them and they cant do anything right for him. Yet I know of 3 other military families and friends that taxes are messed up too.

• Li
      21st of Sep, 2008

i agree with this client because a tax professional that work for block should have known better and did the taxes right because one of our policy is to double check everything before the client leave the office to make sure their tax return is right if the preparer was not sure they should have check with an experience preparer to make sure it was done right

• Ka
      31st of Oct, 2008

i work in the call center. call 1800hrblock and they should be able to help you. trust me if the tax office messes something up do not go back to them to get it fixed, call us we are glad to help you.

• Sh
      12th of Feb, 2009

2/10/09

I WENT TO H&R BLOCK THEY CHARGED ME $300 FOR FILING FEES THE PREPARER FILED THAT I DIDNT RECIEVE A STIMULUS CHECK WHEN I REALLY DID THE IRS THEY TOOK $900 BACK MY REFUND WAS $657 AND H&R BLOCK TOOK $303 WHICH LEFT ME WITH A REFUND WITH A CHECK FOR $357. WHEN I WAS ORIGANALLY WAS TOLD I WOULD RECIEVE A $1557 CHECK. SPOKE TO MANAGER BILL METRICK WHO TOLD ME THAT WAS MY PROBLEM AND THAT WAS BETWEEN ME AND THE IRS! WAITING FOR A CALL BACK FROM DISTRICT MANAGER FILED A COMPLAINT WITH THE IRS! BBB AND AND WILL BE GOING ON TRENTONIAN NEWSPAPER AND WOULD LOVE TO FILE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FOR LOUSY SERVICE.

• Ki
      13th of Feb, 2009

I agree that H & R Block is a lousy company. They screwed up my 2007 taxes with 2 different mistakes. I have been trying for 2 weeks to get a district manager on the phone. No luck... but they did prepare my 1040X for the corrections. However I now owe 1025. So not only did I pay 230 for them to mess up my return... but now I owe 1025. Good luck every getting a call back from this company. I went to 3 different offices 2 weekends ago... It was like chasing a ghost. I could never find a district manager or for that matter anyone in charge... and at one of the office I confronted by an angry "tax professional" when I was only asking/trying to find out who in the world is running these offices. I also am going to file a complaint with my state Attorney General's office & the newspaper. It is ashamed that others and myself paid good money for horrible service from people who have no idea what they are doing. I think it should be a crime to take our money for such horrible services. Services that in the end wind up costing us more money. And for anyone thinking of having H & R Block prepare your taxes... run away... run fast... because they will never help you if there is a mistake. Forget about "Peace of mind" assurance... HA HA!!

• Ra
      24th of Feb, 2009

H & R Block made errors on my 2008 tax return resulting in losing 600 on my Federal tax refund. Obviously I am not a satisfied customer and want the $300 they charged me to prepare my taxes. Has anyone recieved their money back?

• Te
      14th of Feb, 2010

For returns that were filed 1 year ago, does anyone recall that the IRS had a weblink they made available so preparers or citizens could look into the amount of stimulus rec'd? Also, does anyone recall that this link went down during what many at Block call "peak"? We could not validate stimulus amounts received by clients. And guess what - most clients claimed to have received far less than they actually did. I had a smattering of returns that had to be rectified because of this error...odd in that none of them had to be corrected because of the client claiming too much stimulus money from 2008...rather too little.

It is the same situation this year with the $250 ERP that was sent out last spring as part of the ARRA, aka Stimulus Bill. This year, the IRS has no handy-dandy help link and we are totally reliant upon client veracity to make sure we accurately submit information on returns. And guess what - that one area has been the biggest area of rejection this tax season...clients telling us they rec'd nothing when, in fact, they did receive something. I sat with one man just this week for over 30 minutes as he was on the phone with the VA, verifying his ERP status. He had a human on the phone and they verified for him that he'd rec'd the money (client's cell phone he had on speaker mode) and then the client said, "Yea, I thought I might have but just wanted to make sure". I felt like slapping my forehead, as he'd insisted strongly to me...before I suggested he call...that he absolutely had not rec'd the funds.

Again, HRB preparers can be held accountable for mistakes they make, but even on a customer complaint site, let's not fall into the quicksand trap that is believing the customer is *always* right.

And to Michelle and others in the military, if you visit an HRB office, request a person that has many years of experience in completing military returns. If you get a wishy-washy answer in response, then phone another office.

• Su
      25th of Feb, 2010

Get over it...

• De
      13th of Nov, 2010

I'm having issues with them as well, they did my taxes in May and gave me 90$ back, then November came around and the Government of Canada now wants me to pay 600$ by the end of the Month :(

• Te
      13th of Nov, 2010

Dementra...take the letter you have received from Canada to your local H & R Block office. Request to speak with either the original preparer you dealt with or a senior preparer well versed in International Taxes. If, for whatever reason, that option fails you, I would ask for the number and address of what is called a "premium office" that might be nearby. Those types of offices have the most educated preparers that HRB can offer, as preparers there are (collectively) certified to do Estates, Trusts, Corporations, Partnerships, 1040-NR, and handle questions on international taxes.

If you live in a remote area and do not know where to turn, type the company's name into a website search engine and use their "find an office" tool to get the one closest to you.

• Th
      16th of Jan, 2011

I did my taxs last year with h and r block and paid then 109.00 to do my taxs.. When they did my taxs they gave me a check for my return, As i was leaving the office they called me back in and asked me to give the check back, but on the contract papers it says the they gave me a check and they didn`t, and rev canada papers says the h and r block gave me a check refund...hmmmmm Where did the money go. Then I got a letter for rev canada and they sent me a bill for 4000.oo because when h and r block did my taxs and put money somewhere the shouldn`t of with out haveing the proper 2202A papers for my schooling so now i have to pay...can I sew them...who will pay the goverment...How can I fix this...I called h and r block and they told me that it was there folt but i still have to pay the 4000.oo buck for there mistake...and wat really sucks in I had back surgery and didn`t work 1 day or have any income last year...I`ll never use them again..put me in the hole like that...