Greendot Reloadable Visa / fee abuse
I purchased a preloadable Visa card from Greendot.com at the grocery. Normally I use fixed preloaded cards, with no problem but these were not available in amounts over $100; and on-line companies insist only one card be used. The Greendot card cost $9.96 and I loaded it with $150. to use on-line. I did read the fine print. I used the card to make the purchase but within days asked for a refund. During the refund process the month changed and the card (after only 10 days possession) acquired a service charge of $4.95 deducted from the balance. I knew this would happen, it was not their fault. Soon afterwards I made my purchase 0f $107.94. I then called and canceled my card which showed a balance of $37.11. When I received my check it was for only $24.96. According the the fine print, if canceled within one month there would be no cancellation fee. Obviously I missed something which authorized them to charge me another service fee of $9.15. I could dispute this but since telephone contact with a live person is virtually if not actually impossible it is not worth the money to discover why, let alone correct and get a refund, of this amount. I held this $9.96 card for one month and paid $14.10 in additional fees for a total user cost of $24.06.
On a positive note, I later found a Preloadable ($20-200) Visa called "The Ideal Gift" at Safeway grocery which has no monthly fee for a year and it sells for only $5.96. If purchasing an amount more than is loaded you need to know what is on the card and have them ring that amount exactly or it may say the card is empty, but this is a small matter. (www.giftcardmall.com) Why mention this card - because it means greendot can not justify their charges as normal.
More Greendot Reloadable Visa Complaints & Reviews
- Green Dot Moneypak - stolen money 
- Walmart Green Dot Money Card - where's my money 
- Walmart Money Card - Visa Prepaid Card Through Ge Money Bank And Green Dot Corp. - can't access money/use card/get a live cust. service rep 
- Green Dot Money Pak - part of a scam 
- Green Dot - unlock accounts 
- Green Dot Corporation - moneypak
- Green Dot Corporation - walmart money card
- Green Dot Corporation - my money on my walmart money card
- Green Dot Corporation - green dot has blocked my account. they won't unblock my card i've sent my identification in way too many times
- Green Dot Card - direct deposit