Greendot Reloadable Visa / fee abuse

I purchased a preloadable Visa card from Greendot.com at the grocery. Normally I use fixed preloaded cards, with no problem but these were not available in amounts over $100; and on-line companies insist only one card be used. The Greendot card cost $9.96 and I loaded it with $150. to use on-line. I did read the fine print. I used the card to make the purchase but within days asked for a refund. During the refund process the month changed and the card (after only 10 days possession) acquired a service charge of $4.95 deducted from the balance. I knew this would happen, it was not their fault. Soon afterwards I made my purchase 0f $107.94. I then called and canceled my card which showed a balance of $37.11. When I received my check it was for only $24.96. According the the fine print, if canceled within one month there would be no cancellation fee. Obviously I missed something which authorized them to charge me another service fee of $9.15. I could dispute this but since telephone contact with a live person is virtually if not actually impossible it is not worth the money to discover why, let alone correct and get a refund, of this amount. I held this $9.96 card for one month and paid $14.10 in additional fees for a total user cost of $24.06.

On a positive note, I later found a Preloadable ($20-200) Visa called "The Ideal Gift" at Safeway grocery which has no monthly fee for a year and it sells for only $5.96. If purchasing an amount more than is loaded you need to know what is on the card and have them ring that amount exactly or it may say the card is empty, but this is a small matter. (www.giftcardmall.com) Why mention this card - because it means greendot can not justify their charges as normal.

Comments

• Ru
      5th of Nov, 2009

"The ideal gift card" is not so ideal. We purchased one for our Son to buy gas for driving cross country. Every time he used it at the pump, it authorized $75 even though he was actually purchasing 16-40. Call to their 1-800 number and they agreed it does that, but is in the fine print. It is not. They said he should go inside each time. So he did that, same issue. Another call. This time they said he has to ask for exact amounts, so he cannot fill his tank, just guess and get close. By now, all those $75's have depleted his account until 24 hours goes by and they start to convert to the actual amount.
    Then on day 3, the card stops working completely and when I check it online, it has actually removed 2 of the most recent gas charges! Normally, I like free money, but figure something is terribly wrong. I call and get put on hold for 15 minutes with their awful scratchy music. Finally I fit * to try to break through and get disconnected. I try to call back 3 times, but just get a quick message about the call volume buffer and it goes silent, but does not disconnect. I hung on in silence for 15 minutes each, nothing. Hours later, I try again, get the scratchy music and a person. She checks and just says all is good on their end and with the card, just try it again tomorrow. I ask, if the card is still bad, how can he get a new one with the remaining balance in Arkansas? They can do nothing, only send me a refund check in the mail and deduct $10 for their trouble. You charge me, for your broken card, I ask? Yes, that is our policy.
    Thanks, thanks a lot.