GoodLife Fitness / worst club

1 Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada Review updated:

I worked as a personal trainer at the uptown centre Goodlife were I was terminated without cause effective immediately. I was fired for no reaso because the Fitness Manager didnt like the fact that all staff came to me for help and guidance and I was kept in the loop of the club. A fitness manager that works out at a different club and wears there clothing around the Goodlife gym as advertising when he is of duty. Goodlife has no repect or integrity through there hole company. It is all about the money and nothing to the clients needs or goals. A few months ago I was even asked by the clubs General Manager to apply for the Fitness Managers position and the District Manager interviewed me and was excited and moved my name forward for another interiew. Duringthe time for few interviews I filled in as an Acting Fitness Manager before I found out the new guy was coming. Even when the new Fitness Manager arrived he asked me to be the Assistant Fitness Manager and help do everyday business. Then I was fired for no cause does that make sense.

Just because the Fitness Manager could not get past that I had a good repour with all the staff and all the trainers would come to me with questions and concerns. He was never in the loop and reacted like a big child. It is terrible that a company like this gives the pwer to one manager to fire someone with no cause and no answers. You contact the so called people department and they give you absolutelu No Answers either, they just wish you the best.

Patchell-Evans gives all new memebers a free book and the book is nothing but lies and false advertising. He may have had a dream years ago but that is all it was a dream of becoming rich on a career where people will try anything to be fit and healthy. It is a dsigrace and very upsetting. Stay clear of GoodLife Fitness the management sucks and they only care about your money. They take your money every month but never use any of that money to clean there filthy gym or fix equipment on a regular basis. That is very disturbing that you take 2000 members monthly fees but you cannot clean your club, always run out of soap and paper towel and it takes months to fix broken equipment. I am sure that wasn't in the book or in Patches dream in the late 1970's. I am sure his managers love the bonsuses they receive for hitting there numbers. GoodLife is all about new members and hitting numbers and not unahappy memebers or old memebrs. Bonuses are giving only pased on sales not happiness very disturbing in the health industry.

The club is a joke!

Comments

• St
      14th of May, 2009

Well then can you recommend a gym for someone who is interested in getting in shape and working with a good personal trainer? I've never worked out a day in my life and would need some honest coaching.

• Fr
      23rd of May, 2009

Did the present fitness manager or past fitness manager react like a big baby? Was it the present or past fitness manager that works out at another fitness club? Was it the present fitness manager that fired you or the general manager? I am having a little trouble following your train of thought. Wouldd you recommend any personal trainers at that club with integrity or character? Would you recommend a gym in Fredericton for accessing personal training? Thanks.

• Di
      2nd of Mar, 2011

I was also a previous trainer at the quispamsis club over a year ago. The fitness manager ALSO had a problem with me, and I had to leave because of how difficult she was to deal with. She was horrendus but she had big "assets" and the club manager was afraid of her. To date she has gone through 13 trainers because they cant stand her past 2 weeks! Literally! She didnt have the credentials, along with a lot of the trainers they have hired there. The hiring standards are BOGUS! Before i was hired i had to go around cleaning equipment and do the fit fix thing with people in the mornings and evenings EVEN THOUGH i had completed all my courses and training over the past months, yet they hired TWO trainers who HADNT EVEN TAKEN THE CANFIT PRO COURSE! and one of them WAS THE FITNESS MANAGER!!! She had a business degree...and a high metabolism, because she couldnt do a proper bicep curl if it was her life on the line.

Also the club employees to members are awful! They are horrid to call on the phone because you get hung up on if you ask the wrong question. This is no joke. This has happened to many members. The machines are ALWAYS broken and if you call the main line in Ontario, they say "oh well we shall pass this on to the manager and he will look into it" Pretty much saying, we are looking the other way now, not out problem. And the reply by the manager is that the parts for the machines need to be ordered. Too bad they do not put in the machine part orders WHEN the machine breaks, it usually takes about 6 weeks to get a machine running again. The prices are ALSO rediculous for students and different members. It is literally the worst run company to work for AND to be a member of. the manager at the time when I worked there had said "it doesnt matter what they are looking to achieve, get them to sign a year contract for training, YOU will get the comission, and we can exceed our monthly goal!!" LITERALLY! There is NO compassion or empathy what so ever with the employees in the club, and NONE when you call the main offices. They are so "safe" behind the telephone emails and contracts. Well working there has taught me a lot, and by visiting other gyms in different cities, and speaking to other goodlife members across canada...they ALLL say VERY similar stories...especially the employees/previous employees.

Also they have 9 "pilate" machines in the back corner of the gym, moved everything around so they can store these, collecting dust, each at the cost of 4, 985 PLUS TAXES each! and they whine when someone asks to use a towel for the spin class...I am SERIOUSLY considering putting an ad in the local paper to get mroe people to speak out about this corporation. Its unbelievable. The kids camp, by the way, a friend emailed them a year ago wondering where the money goes, and where this camp is, why it is NOT advertised anywhere else other than the balloons and name tags...they didnt give her an answer. They beat around the bush and said "we assure you, it is a good cause for good deserving people"

DO NOT JOIN GOODLIFE FITNESS! YMCA is the BEST run and most personal, health oriented club for ALL ages. It is amazing. That is just an option for thos who cannot find a gym if there is a YM-YWCA near you, go to it! SO much cheaper and the staff are more than likely KIND! If not, go to ANY other gym than a GoodLife Fitness club. It will safe you a LOT of money, Grief, and Late nights. Good luck everyone! And boy, was I glad to find this "forum"

5th of Oct, 2012

Reading all accounts, it seems you have to be a ruthless individual in order to be hired by GoodLife, at any location. Seems they have a set of rules of what an employee should be, the first being, again, ruthless. At our club, the manager is afraid of the maintenance staff, so he lets him do anything or nothing as he pleases - watches tv, equipment is not cleaned, towels are unclean but of course, they take your money right on time.

7th of May, 2013

i was also terminated without cause, however i knew exactly what the cause was and brought it up during the termination. i just moved to ottawa and was moving in to my new apartment after i was excited to get a new job as a personal trainer as that is what i went to school for. i needed to attend more classes that goodlife deemed nesssesary even though i just completed a college degree and all credentials before hand. i went to all of them, after three months my grandmother passed away, her burial was that week, on a wednesday also the day i was to attend another teadious class that was called "bootcamp". let me remind you that all other classes that i took for goodlife when i was there, a grade three could pass with honours, which for 90 percent of our trainers were the only credentials they had to there name but were named our best trainers because they were able to sell some poor person two years of personal training when they had no clue what they were doing. anyway i did not attend the bootcamp because i had to leave for the burial service however my manager was not in for me to tell so i left her an email about a family emergency. two days later after our group meeting on the friday she terminated me without cause. i have about a hundred other stories about how this gym was digusting but the stories above explain some of the exact things i went through. however i do have a funny story my girlfriend was started to attend the gym when i got the job and when i was terminated do you think she could terminate her contract. nope absoloutely not she had to go to the executive director and as she was in law at this time she had to threaten to sue before she was released and it took her three months of them withdrawing money by the time she was relased she sent goodlife a bill for the money they had taken and they had one week to pay back in full or would be sent to collections pending an investigation. so keep fighting if you are stuck in contract.
    while i worked at goodlife i felt like i had to have no soul to work there.
    i was supposed to be happy doing what i love but yet a lost sleep every night.
    most trainers there had to say they just wanted money and were hired but were as smart as a stump when it came to personal training or nutrition.
    they even tried selling me personal training by someone that couldnt tie there shoes and i felt pressure cause every other trainer had a trainer. my fitness manager called me in for a meeting because of this and said i wasnt being a team member so she being an "elite trainer" (she thought a squat was a bicept curl... just stupid) tried to sell me training in the meeting, how bad do u have to be to put your own employees in a high pressure situation to sell them something i did not want. now all i said was honestly i dont want training so after the next 30 minutes of selling me she asked why i dont. i simply said, "well i would totally get training from someone just no one that works here other than myself. she asked why. i said: "there is no one here that even compares me i also have more education and probably positive experience than everone here put together even if they have been doing it for twenty years, why would i buy something that doesnt work properly.that would be like you buying a brand new car off the lot and they forgot to put an engine in it, looks good on the outside but the inside has no brain." at that point she was looking for a reason to fire me. and all the clients that i had that loved me and said i have started to change there life were given to different employees and i was told that once im terminated i was never aloud to talk with them again. i only talked to one he quit the gym and said it was the worst money and most stressfull time hes ever had. now how does that make me feel to know that i could have changed someones life but instead i could have possibly made it worse by just getting terminated. dont work for the gym, dont go to the gym, unless your prepared to give your soul away or have it taken from you.